The books coming out in 2013

Lord of Rhinos

NOS4A2's American cover features a licence plate, so there's certainly a theme there. However, the titular vehicle is a car, not a bike.

Is there something that makes you think the cover image snippet is a bike headlight rather than one from a car? Looks like a vintage car headlight and grill to me.

It turns out that that snippet was indeed from Gollancz's cover for NOS4A2, or rather their cover for NOS4R2, since they've gone with a slightly different title to produce a better-sounding vanity plate. Hill had recently tweeted that the possibility was being discussed.

There are going to be a lot of disappointed readers on the Gollancz blog, since most people had guessed it was the cover for the last Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse book.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It appears as though Dan Simmons has a new book out, either in April or September ( the Amazon UK listing is divided), titled "The Abominable".

In June 1924, famous British climber George Mallory and his climbing partner Andrew Irvine disappeared on the North East Ridge of Mount Everest. Most of the subsequent publicity did not mention that two other climbers were missing: the future Lord Wessex and an unnamed German support climber.

A year later, climber, poet and war hero Richard David Deacon sees a way he and his friends can reach the heights of Mount Everest. He tells Lady Wessex that they will look for her son if she bankrolls the operation.

Now the danger Deacon and his group face is not only from the treacherous conditions; they are also warned of the mythical 'man bear' demons of the mountain - which they dismiss until they hear roars so loud they drown out the 100 mile-per-hour wind that is tearing their canvas tent to shreds around them

Looks like Simmons will be showing us the Yeti, very much alive. Something of a return to what he did with The Terror back in 2007 I guess.

Grr (grr grr). On the one hand, I don't read Dan Simmon's books anymore. 'Cause fascist and stuff. OTOH, I really liked the Terror and this sounds right up that alley. Dammit. Most authors who are nuts are also either uniformly bad, or their work is so permeated with their weirdo ideologies, they might as well be uniformly bad...but Simmons has never quite managed to fall of that ledge for me, despite his extratextual discourse being undeniably batty. I don't know what to do.

Graham Joyce's The Year of the Ladybird will be published in May 2013:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Year-Ladybird-Graham-Joyce/9780575115316

Christopher Priest's new novel The Adjacent is coming out in June 2013:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adjacent-Christopher-Priest/dp/0575105364/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352067368&sr=1-1

Grr (grr grr). On the one hand, I don't read Dan Simmon's books anymore. 'Cause fascist and stuff.

How can that ever be an argument? You should take pride in subjecting yourself to opinions outside of your ideological comfort zone.

I say go for it.

Datepalm

Simmons defintely has his critics, but personally I do not care. I just read his books and am not really disturbed by his extratextual stuff ( he just posted a political piece on the elections though, on his site, if you're interested ;) ).

I'm intrigued by this new one and will probably be checking for reviews and excerpts.

As indeed I am very interested in the Graham Joyce novel Jussi just linked to.

If only - i'm just considering wading into this becuase I think i'll be entertained. I considered, for example, reading Flashback, but what swayed me wasn't the notion of the politics, it was that the reviews said it wasn't very good, and made it sound like it was on that side of Simmons writing that i've never liked very much (like Illium or Drood, which I never even finished.) My trepidation stems not from worrying about my own exposure, but about the feeling that I shouldn't be supporting someone I disagree with, especially in works which i'll likely find largely un-disagreeable. Ie, it's not like i'll read the book and then get to write a scathing review - I expect i'll read the book, and totally enjoy it.

Simmons, to his credit, also doesn't shoehorn his crazy into every book. Flashback, obviously he did, but apart from that and his mental short story that kickstarted the whole thing on his website, he generally keeps his weird ideology out of his books. Which, at the very least to me, justifies a library/second-hand purchase. Unlike Card, Simmons actually can still write.

Reading things outside of one's ideological viewpoint is a good thing. Too many people nowadays have isolated themselves from exposure to contrarian viewpoints, and frankly it affects them negatively for doing so.

Back to the thread topic.

Reading things outside of one's ideological viewpoint is a good thing. Too many people nowadays have isolated themselves from exposure to contrarian viewpoints, and frankly it affects them negatively for doing so.

Except that the viewpoint in question was one of extreme, irrational Islamaphobia and racism, which Simmons seemed to conclude by suggesting (if only in a story as a thought experiment) that we burn out the Middle-East in nuclear fire.

Not, y'know, a differing perspective of economic theory or something, but a bad case of the total barking crazies. In fairness this was pretty close to 9/11 and Simmons seems to have recovered somewhat since then.

I haven't read Flashback so I can't comment on its content - but I'd be rather surprised if SFF/horror readers, who routinely read books that involve genocides and mass killings (many times only partially masquerading as thinly cloaked pseudonyms for historical and ethnic groups) are going to boycott an author based on one book that includes such supposedly objectionable content.

Ideological boycotts stunt intellectual growth.

Plot synopsis for Joe Hill's NOS4A2:

What's good stays good, no matter how much of a beating it takes. . . .

Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her dayglo blue Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Vic doesn’t tell anyone about her unusual ability because she knows that no one would believe her. She has trouble understanding it herself. And she knows it isn’t free. Each time she makes a trip across that bridge, a piece of herself is lost.

But Vic isn’t the only one with a special gift.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing playground of amusements he calls Christmasland. Mile by mile, their journey across the highway of Charlie’s twisted imagination transforms his precious passengers, leaving them as terrifying and unstoppable as their benefactor.

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx.

That was a lifetime ago. Now, the only kid to ever escape his unmitigated evil is all grown up and desperate to forget.

But the end of one nightmare is just the beginning of another . . . because Charlie Manx hasn’t stopped thinking about the exceptional Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son.

In a life-and-death battle of wills—her magic pitted against his—Vic McQueen is going to get her son back and destroy Manx once and for all. Or she’ll die trying. . . .

http://www.harpercollinscatalogs.com/harper/516_2448_333336353038.htm

Archived