The books coming out in 2013

Lord of Rhinos

If only - i'm just considering wading into this becuase I think i'll be entertained. I considered, for example, reading Flashback, but what swayed me wasn't the notion of the politics, it was that the reviews said it wasn't very good, and made it sound like it was on that side of Simmons writing that i've never liked very much (like Illium or Drood, which I never even finished.) My trepidation stems not from worrying about my own exposure, but about the feeling that I shouldn't be supporting someone I disagree with, especially in works which i'll likely find largely un-disagreeable. Ie, it's not like i'll read the book and then get to write a scathing review - I expect i'll read the book, and totally enjoy it.

Simmons, to his credit, also doesn't shoehorn his crazy into every book. Flashback, obviously he did, but apart from that and his mental short story that kickstarted the whole thing on his website, he generally keeps his weird ideology out of his books. Which, at the very least to me, justifies a library/second-hand purchase. Unlike Card, Simmons actually can still write.

I will second the suggestion to get it via the library.

My debut novel, The Grim Company, will be out in UK hardcover in March. It's the first book in a trilogy of the same name, an epic fantasy in the style of Abercrombie or Lynch with a cast of flawed antiheroes and a liberal dose of black humour. It will be published in North America by Penguin later in the year. Why should you care? It's already received six-figure advances in three separate territories and was proclaimed by one editor as the best epic fantasy debut they'd ever read. Anyone who's experienced Robert Stanek's seminal masterpiece Keeper Martin's Tale will know that can only be interpreted as crass hyperbole, but still - high praise.

You can read more about The Grim Company here.

Think of me not so much as a shameless promoter but rather a fearless orator of truth. It would trouble my heart - and if I'm honest, also my bank balance - to know that this wondrous tome was being passed over by those ignorant of its existence.

I would send you a copy but I only have two myself, and one of those is being feverishly consumed by my beloved wife. And when I say feverishly consumed, I mean she's reading about a page a fortnight. It may be a while before I have one to spare. But you could always tweet my publisher for a copy...

Luke, is there anything in the way of an extract available? I may be prone to hype but even I require more than a blurb to get excited :)

No extracts available yet I'm afraid, though Head of Zeus (my UK publisher) should have the first chapter viewable soonish on their website. I'll give them a nudge. I forgot to mention that the e-book will be available a month before the UK hardback (but not, sadly, for NA readers). So that's the beginning of February - less than 12 weeks to go!

2013 looks like a good year to me:

Gun Machine by Warren Ellis

Blood of Dragons by Robin Hobb

Graveyard Child by MLN Hanover

Necessary Evil by Ian Tregillis

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson

Abaddon's Gate by James SA Corey

The Tyrant's Law by Daniel Abraham

The Human Division by John Scalzi

The Unholy Consult by R. Scott Bakker

The Ace of Skulls by Chris Wooding

The Dark Defiles by Richard K. Morgan

The Three Prince War by Pierre Pevel

The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince by Robin Hobb

The Middle Kingdom by David Wingrove

River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay

Time of Contempt by Andrzej Sapkowski

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Still hoping to see the following in 2013:

Triumff: The Double Falsehood by Dan Abnett

The Republic of Thieves of Scott Lynch

Dangerous Women Anthology edited by George RR Martin

The World of Ice and Fire edited by George RR Martin

Stormlight Archive Book 2 by Brandon Sanderson

(A completed version of) The Sea Beggars by Paul Kearney

Longshot, but one can hope:

The Doors of Stone by Patrick Rothfuss

Untitled series of short novels by Patrick Rothfuss

The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks

Untitled Book 7 of Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell

Something More Than Night by Ian Tregillis

The Winds of Winter by George RR Martin

Possible Purchases pending Wert's review:

Unwrapped Sky by Rjurik Davidson

In Dark Service by Stephen Hunt

Gallow: The Crimson Shield by Nathan Hawke

Son of the Morning by Mark Alder

The Daedalus Incident by Michael J Martinez

Trafalgar by Angelica Gorodischer

Wolfhoud Century by Peter Higgins

A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar

The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett (It would have to be a really good review by Wert to get me to read this)

The Age Atomic by Adam Christopher

Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy will be published in May 2013. This anthology is edited by Jonathan Strahan.

An amazing array of the most popular and exciting names in Fantasy are set to appear in the first in a brand new series of Fantasy anthologies featuring original fiction, from the master editor Jonathan Strahan. The authors Joe Abercrombie, Daniel Abraham, Saladin Ahmed, Elizabeth Bear, Trudi Canavan, Glen Cook, and Scott Lynch are just a handful of the exciting names lined up to appear in this collection.

New Scott Lynch story!

Hype for Brian McClellan's debut novel Promise of Blood:

PERFECT FOR FANS OF:

Books: Brandon Sanderson, Brent Weeks, and Patrick Rothfuss

TV: Game of Thrones, Rome, The Borgias

DEBUT AUTHOR: Brian McClellan's first novel combines all the best of epic fantasy. He writes with the assurance of Brandon Sanderson, the grittiness of George R.R. Martin and the pacing of Brent Weeks.

POWDER MAGES: Powder Mages, those with the power to control gun powder and the trajectory of bullets, make this the unique epic fantasy that readers will be talking about for years to come.

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sequence=1&group=catalog&mailingID=0&mailingGroupID=0&catalogID=68734&org=&sku=0316219037

Marketing spiel: you have to love it.

PERFECT FOR FANS OF:

Books: Brandon Sanderson, Leo Tolstoy, and Enid Blyton

TV: Game of Thrones, My Little Pony, Blue Planet

DEBUT AUTHOR: Jesus Nighthawk's first novel combines all the best of epic fantasy. He writes with the assurance of Brandon Sanderson, the grittiness of Enid Blyton and the pacing of Leo Tolstoy.

BLOW MAGES: Blow Mages, those with the power to reign death on their enemies after ingesting hardcore drugs, make this the unique epic fantasy that readers will be talking about for literally minutes to come.

NAL Summer 2013 catalog (includes ROC):

http://booksellers.penguin.com/static/pdf/nal-summer13.pdf

Plot synopsis for Django Wexler's debut novel The Thousand Names, book one of The Shadow Campaigns:

Enter an epic fantasy world that echoes with the thunder of muskets and the clang of steel - but where the real battle is against a subtle and sinister magic...

Captain Marcus d'Ivoire, commander of one of the Vordanai empire's colonial garrisons, was resigned to serving out his days in a sleepy, remote outpost. But that was before a rebellion upended his life. And once the powder-smoke settled, he was left in charge of a demoralized force clinging tenuously to a small fortress at the edge of the desert.

To flee from her past, Winter Ihernglass masqueraded as a man and enlisted as a ranker in the Vordanai Colonials, hoping only to avoid notice. But when chance sees her promoted to command, she must win the hearts of her men, and lead them into battle against impossible odds.

But the fates of both of these soldiers, and all the men they lead, depend on the newly arrived Colonel Janus bet Vhalnich, who has been sent by the ailing king to restore order. His military genius seems to know no bounds, and under his command, Marcus and Winter can feel the tide turning. But their allegiance will be tested as they begin to suspect that the enigmatic Janus's ambitions extend beyond the battlefield and into the realm of the supernatural - a realm with the power to ignite a meteoric rise, reshape the known world, and change the lives of everyone in its path.

Sales points:

- The start of a new epic fantasy series from a breakout author who is poised to become a star in the fantasy world

- A brilliant new take on alternate-world fantasy with a unique pseudo-Napoleonic era setting

- Wexler will have a new series from Penguin Young Readers subsequent to our publication

- We own three books in this series

- Perfect for readers of George R. R. Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, and Mark Lawrence

I'm almost tempted to start a spoof website. However, it's already been done for another author :)

"But how do werewolves survive in the airless vacuum of the Moon?"

(uncomfortably long pause)

"Is asphyxiation SILVER?!"

And why are there werewolves on the Moon? Because it's always a full moon, on the Moon.

Btw wert "blow mages" has to be one of the dumbest names I've ever heard. I don't think any marketing spiel could fix that.

That's the point :) Or did you mean 'Powder Mages', the actual name from the book?

Archived