LoneStarCon 2013

My previous post was not a tactful observation so I should correct myself. What I suggested was more of a personal experience likely unique in it's unpleasantness.

TannerSack, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy yourself. :( I remember talking to you and you seemed to be having an all right time; I was flitting around both nights, though, I admit, and didn't really stay in any one place for long.

This reminds me (still on huge tangent) that I owe some people coffee beans.

Somewhat back on track, this thread makes me sad that I'll not be in San Antonio, short of a massive lottery win.

We can have the anti-con Great Skype/Google Hangout. Me, you, Maria, Karen, all the kids? Yay!

Hello, everybody. I'm new to the forums. I work with Master of Coin on the GOT coin sets. I'll be going to LoneStarCon with him to help with the booth. It'll be nice to meet everyone.

Welcome, Domnhall!

I'm looking forward to seeing those coins in person, so I'll be sure to introduce myself at the booth.

Check with Ser Cam, maybe? You two can form the Towel Brigade. :commie:

OK, this has to happen now. Mr. X just quipped: "Those two will go through more towels than Raoul Duke and his attorney."

Slanderous!

But just imagine the scandal had Smegma ended up sharing with us, too ! lol

Hello, everybody. I'm new to the forums. I work with Master of Coin on the GOT coin sets. I'll be going to LoneStarCon with him to help with the booth. It'll be nice to meet everyone.

Welcome! If you are anything like Master of Coin I am sure you will be great company :-)

Ah, Domnhall has arrived! Yes he's been helping me in the workshop and will be coming with me to San Antonio. We'll have a booth in the dealer room this time. The big news is that there WILL be dragons at Worldcon... dragon coins that is! The scheduled release date is Sept 1. There will be at least two, possibly three kings represented. We're still working on dies so in case something goes wrong I'd better keep a lid on what kings specifically for now. And there will be both real gold pieces and brass replicas of each type. The real gold ones will bear 1/2 ounce of pure gold, and of course will be rather expensive... no fixed prices yet, but it should be very close to whatever the price of one ounce of gold is at the time of sale. But the brass ones will be quite affordable, same price as the copper stars. When we get closer I do hope to come up with some sort of plan whereby people can send me a one ounce gold coin in exchange for the real-gold dragon. That way people can purchase the gold between now and then, and perhaps watch the prices and buy on the dip. Because the problem is that we have no clue what the price of gold may be by September... currently it's quivering nervously around $1600/oz. but on the web some people are predicting $2000 or even $2500 by then. In many ways the $12 brass one will be a lot more fun. It will be possible to have bags or chests of them to play with and security will not need to be so tight around them. I may need to just carry a single sample of each gold one at the con, and take orders for later delivery. Incidentally, we are creating TWO sets of dies for each of the three types, so that the real gold ones will be identical to the brass at arm's length, yet under close inspection there will be distinctive differences, such that it will be impossible to simply gold-plate a brass one and try to pass it off as the real gold. We're also working on the packaging... because the real gold will be made in very low numbers and will get a special presentation enclosure and certificate.

Watch the HBO store, because bagged sets of the current coins should be appearing there soon. Also at ThinkGeek, Mighty Ape, and Atlanta Cutlery!

Guys' I've updated the first post with the attendee listing! :)

I'm pretty damn excited. I booked our hotel today at RiverWalk. The con hotel rates are gone but you can still stay at the hotels. Stupid me for not booking sooner.

When you say 1/2 ounce of gold, what percentage of the coin will that make up?

There will be 1/2 troy ounce of gold in the finished piece. I believe we've settled on 22k gold, so that the

gross weight will be about 0.545 ozt (16.96g) so as to come out at 0.500 ozt (15.55g) gold content. To control precisely the weight and fineness of the metal they will be overstruck on commercially available American Eagle bullion coins. I can do this in such a way that the old design is eliminated and only the edge reeding will remain.

And yes, I'm saying that the plan is for the price of the finished gold coin to be equivalent to a one ounce gold coin at the time of sale. The difference is the seignorage.

Archived