Unanswered Questions?

overcomebyfumes

I've never understood why people think there must be some other reason for Benjen joining the Night's Watch. Well the only family we know that the Starks have outside them is the Tully's

Not sure I understand this. The Starks were a lot closer to the numerous northern families long before their association with the Tully's. Brandon's joining of the Watch would have come sometime around the joining of the Tully and Stark families.

Ah, it's good to see the questions all in one place... Here's a couple more:

What happened to the Northern Lords that Robb sent to find Greywater Watch? (Maege Mormont and Galbert Glover IIRC)

Who did Robb declare as the hier to the Kingdom of the North and did he send that proclamation with the above?

Not sure I understand this. The Starks were a lot closer to the numerous northern families long before their association with the Tully's. Brandon's joining of the Watch would have come sometime around the joining of the Tully and Stark families.

I assume what Lord Stark is saying is that its a tradition for young Stark sons to join the NW, thus you don't get many Stark lines to form a bunch of relatives for the Starks of Winterfell

(given that these young sons don't get to father sons and daughters). Well, that's how I understand it, correct me if i'm off the mark Lord Stark.

As to the question:

Who did Robb declare as the heir to the Kingdom of the North and did he send that proclamation with the above?

I believe it quite clear that Robb declared Jon as his heir, and the declaration is indeed on its way North with Maege Mormont and the others on that party.

Brandon? Do you mean Benjen? If so he wouldn't have joined the NW until after the war was over and the Stark/Tully alliance was not only in place, but had been for a year. Anyways yes the Starks are close to the northern Houses of course, but the Stark line doesn't seem to be as big as the other Houses. Sure someone could say it's because Brandon and Lyanna were dead, but I've never felt the Stark line was as big as the others.

ironmaid yes that is what I meant. There seems to be alot of Starks on the wall through the NW history, and I always felt that explained why the Stark family was so small compared to the other Houses, and why the Wall was still considered an honor. The Starks seem to lead by example.

Well, if it turns out that Benjen = Coldhands or something like that, it could turn out that Benjen, like Bran, headed north to learn from the 3 eyed crow. Joining the Watch would just be a more socially acceptable cover in that case. but its RAFO I think.

But here's the point I really want to make. I thought this thread was for questions that were unanswered by aFfC. Not that I mind the aFfC questions, but if we seperate them, we see that most people still have aFfC on their minds.

How about, is anyone occupying Winterfell? I mean it is a rather formidable caslte in the center of the North lands. Would seem to be a good strategic position to hold.

Anyways, I think these would qualify as the pre-aFfC questions...

1). What is the true nature of the Others?

2). Where is Tyrek Lannister and why is he important? Did Varys stage the King's Landing riot to kidnap Tyrek and Sansa? Why?

3). Who told ser Mandon Moore to kill Tyrion?

6). What ever happened to Hal Mullen and Ned's bones?

7). What happened to Benjen Stark?

10). Who will be next to betray Dany? Did Jorah's betrayal satisify the "betray for love" prophecy, or is there worse in store? Who of Dany's advisors would sell her out for gold?

12). What is Hot Pie's real name?

20). Which of the Northern Lords were killed at the Red Wedding? Which are still alive?

And here are the post-aFfC questions...

4). What (or who) does Margaery Tyrell need Tansy Tea for?

5). Who is Rosby Giles' ward?

8). What was Brienne's (last?) word?

9). Is Sandor Clegane the gravedigger?

11). What is Qyburn doing with Gregor Clegane's remains?

13). What is the fate of Davos?

14). What's up with Quentyn Martell and the Golden Company?

15). What really happened with ser Loras and Dragonstone? Did they take the city or not? Is ser Loras injured or not?

16). Where is Lord Waters taking Cercei's fleet to?

17). The Blackfish - where has he escaped to? What's his plan?

18). Why have the Faceless Men infiltrated the Maester's Citadel?

19). Is ser Raynald Westerling still alive?

How about a different wording to the Ashara Dayne question? Simply, what happened to Ashara Dayne? If we consider the strength found in most women-and then, the immense strength that must have been inherent in a woman that Ned could possibly love-even if she did fall to her death, isn't that a bit odd to anyone? Jumping from a tower for the reasons we've been provided? I think Ashara Dayne questions should read: Did she jump/fall? If so, why, or was she 'encouraged'? If not, where is she?

Whatever happened to Benjen Stark?

Do you think we'll ever find out?

6). What ever happened to Hal Mullen and Ned's bones?

I forget who Mullen is but didn't Cat think at one time about the bones coming home but they weren't Eddard, they were just his bones? I always assumed that meant the bones had been returned to winterfell. I probably was reading too quickly though, as usual.

Beware Long, Several Question Answering Post O' Doom

Revised list of "Officially Unanswered Questions".

8). What was Brienne's (last?) word?

9). Is Sandor Clegane the gravedigger?

10). Who will be next to betray Dany? Did Jorah's betrayal satisify the "betray for love" prophecy, or is there worse in store? Who of Dany's advisors would sell her out for gold?

11). What is Qyburn doing with Gregor Clegane's remains?

13). What is the fate of Davos?

14). What's up with Quentyn Martell and the Golden Company?

16). Where is Lord Waters taking Cercei's fleet to?

17). The Blackfish - where has he escaped to? What's his plan?

19). Is ser Raynald Westerling still alive?

20). Which of the Northern Lords were killed at the Red Wedding? Which are still alive?

Hmmm, my thoughts would be:

8. "Sword" It seems unlikely that Brienne would sacrifice innocents Pod and Hunt for the sake of her own pride. Therefore she would indicate her submission to the Un-Cat. For now.

9. Obviously.

10. Reznak Mo Reznak. (and isn't that kinda 3 pressing questions?) I have no proof of this whatsoever. It's just an opinion, and I defy anyone to prove otherwise :cool:

11. Qyburn's not doing anything with Gregor now. He's done - and said so himself. "Your champion stands ready." Clearly, Gregolem is one bad-ass undead Mountain ready to face off against the Faith. Whoever wins there, the readers win.

13. Head and short-fingered hand on a spike on a wall in White Harbour. Asawk. More pressing question: GRRM pulled the dead kid switch-eroo already with Bran, Rickon. Think he'd do it again with Davos. I don't.

14. Broke their ties with Free City X. On their way to Westeros via...

16. Waters and his fleet. In a not too too crakpot theory of Varys manipulation. I'm saying this on account of my belief that Dany will return to Westeros via the Iron Fleet.

17. Casterly Rock, the least likely place Lannisters will look for him. Revenge.

19. Not really a pressing question. Probably dead though.

That's all that comes readily to mind for me. I'm sure the other questions are treated somewhere in this forum though. IMO we could eliminate 9. and 11. And didn't someone mention who was killed at the Wedding somewhere at the end of ASoS?

What did Euron used to do to Damphair?

How many Keeps in the Stormlands/Reach still hold alleigence to Stannis? and have yet to be taken by the IT?

Is Arya really blind?

How did Lann hoodwink the Casterly's? and steal from the sun?

Who was Ned's mom? even thought he'll nver answer this one :unsure:

What was Renly plot?

Does Mel have an alterier motive?

What happened to Rolland Storm?

Those are all the others i can add now.

i was just wondering (apologies if it was already asked or answered) regardless whether or not jon is rhaegars son, i want to know if lyanna was raped or was she a willing lover of rhaegar? (she didnt seem like a person to get rid of a baby just bcs she was raped so i was just wondering)

i would hate it if it was the first, i kinda like rhaegar (as do many of u)

i also remember reading (not sure which book) about how she loved robert but had problems with him because he had a hard time keeping his "you-know-what" in his pants and she thought he wouldnt change even if they were together because old habits r hard to get rid off or some such

and also from roberts PoV rhaegar seemed like a bad guy who IS capable of rape but from other sources rhaegar is seen as a competent and well behaved sort of guy so i wanna know wat u people think cause im confused

so i would be grateful if someone can answer the Q. thanks in advance

Where is Tyrek Lannister and why is he important? Did Varys stage the King's Landing riot to kidnap Tyrek and Sansa? Why? - Jamie was musing on this in AFfC. Was he being paranoid and Tyrek is still alive, or is this some kind of bizarre red herring? Why would it matter if Tyrek were still alive? He was only a page, why would Varys want to kidnap him? I don't understand.

Tyrek Lannister is obviously important, being an obvious claimant to Casterly Rock. Varys has an ongoing conspiracy through which he seeks to reinstate the children of his initial employer, and working within the constraints of a finite life time, if Varys seeks to reinstate Targaryen rule and see it firmly established before the end of his life time, his subsequent intrigues will be directed by a need to necessitate a limit to potential discord in the wake of the over throw of the current power establishment. The elimination of all the Lannister's whose 1st loyalty is to the Lord of the Rock would prove to be as troublesome as a situation where no Lannister's were slain at all.

- Everyone seems to be rooting for Tyrion to get the Rock, but it's wholly nieve to believe this will take place. He might reign for a spring but his song would be sung by the summer. His failure to take Sansa Stark's maiden head, due to his desire for her to want him (while in my mind kinda admirable) greatly diminshes the chances he could produce a 1) true born, 2) nobily descended "heir".

- The fact remains that while the Lannister's need to be nearly erraticated, leaving no Lannister to hold the Rock, would create a power vacuum and continuous contention in the Westlands for generations to come. Tyrek may only be a page, but he's also the younger page to Robert Baratheon who wasn't Cersi's catspaw (Varys would have had no chance of/desire to make Lancel a catspaw, to him Cersi's cunny was worth more than all the gold in Casterly Rock) nobily born, seemingly good natured, Tyrek would also have probably welcomed a change of scenery from a situation in which he had been dubbed wet nurse. His time at court is an invaluable asset, he's likely militarily capable and whole an all together asset to Dany's court OR as a potential rival to be produced against Tyrion should his and Varys interests fail to allign

In a just and ideal world, as soon as GRRM finishes TSoIaF, he'll immeadiately start a prequel series running from the annointing of King Aerys to the battle of the Trident. Reading ASoIaF, I get the feeling that we're getting half a story, and the lesser half at that. The more I read and discuss, the more I find that I'm much more interested in what happened before this story started.

I don't think Benjen was a criminal or forcably exiled to the wall, there's no evidence for that. I chalk it up to the family honor until there's evidence to the contrary.

Pax.

Actually isn't that what makes good fantasy great?? I have always thought that the backstory in fantasy is more important than the main story. Since everything that happens now is a result of what happened before it is important for that story to be spectacular and interesting. Piecing that mystery together is half of the fun of ASOIAF.

Oh, another question could be:

Is Benjen actually dead?

And don't forget did Vares really plan it all?

• 1 month later...
Is Benjen actually dead?

Here's my theory. I've seen a lot of kicking around stating that Benjen is coldhands, but I think he is actually the three-eyed crow. Here's my evidence:

1. Howland Reed went to the Isle of Faces and then met the Stark children at the Harrenhal tourney, including Benjen. So they definitely had the chance to meet and Howland may have taught him some/much/all of what he learned.

2. the obvious link of "crow" to man of the night's watch

3. the crow comes to bran, a stark, and to the children of howland reed -- all people benjen would have known

4. mormont's raven could be one of his wargs. in GoT, maester Aemon says that Mormont's raven is a rare bird, since it prefers fruits and vegetables to carrion. Wargs take on some of the preferences of their human.. also the raven was there mysteriously to see that Jon was named Lord Commander.

5. martin said that benjen had skills of his own, which must have been impressive to get him named first ranger as young as he was (this is from westeros.org, http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Month/2000/12/ ):

December 16, 2000

About Benjen Stark

Submitted By: Michael

I was wondering if you would comment on Benjen Stark's fighting ability. Is he on a level with Brandon, or is he more like Ned?

Depends on the kind of fight you had in mind.

Brandon was the best of the Starks with sword in hand, and the best jouster as well. But Benjen has other skills that serve him well as a ranger... and Ned was likely the best battle commander.

martin notes also that benjen went to the wall around the time catelyn and ned took up residence in winterfell btw

6. benjen would have had dead rangers at hand to turn into coldhands

7. the three-eyed crow starts showing up after benjen disappears

8. "you starks are hard to kill" (not real evidence but i like the ring of it)

now tear my theory apart.. :)

Guest Other-in-law

(sorry for any duplicates)

Who was the Targaryen that they tried to marry the Queen of Thorns to?

Did the newly appointed Grand Maester Pycelle sabotage the Summerhall experiment?

Was Prince Duncan the Small a dwarf? Was he formally disinherited? Did he marry Jenny of Oldstones?

Who was Aegon Dragonbane's father?

What happened to Dark Sister?

What were the exact circumstances of Maegor the Cruel's death?

Obviously, it's going to be resolved soon, but

Is Loras alive? Is he really hurt or is the story completely fabricated?

Who will champion Cersei and/or Margaery?

Who is going to betray Dany for love and gold?

Archived