Things I've noticed after a re-read

Altherion

I've recently finished re-reading the first 3 books. Some things now make a lot more sense and some are just neat details. Here's a list:

1) In AFFC, Arya is shown a poison that drives men beserk. She asks if it would work on a dog. Why? Because in ACOK, Weese's pet dog that he raised from a puppy murders him after she gives Jaqen H'Gar his name.

2) In AFFC, Sam comes back on a ship called the Cinnamon Wind and captained by Quhuru Mo. We've seen them before -- they brought news of Robert's death to Dany in ACOK.

3) Arya is an optimist -- well, either that or her life is improving. In ACOK, she is forced to work at Harrenhal and her thoughts are "The work was hard, but no harder than walking miles every day." In AFFC, she has her duties as an acolyte and her response is "The work was not near as hard as scrubbing steps for Weese."

4) The night Jaime has his dream about Brienne (in ASOS; the one after which he decides to rescue her), he slept on a weirwood stump.

5) The doors of the temple of Him of Many Faces are made out of weirwood and ebony (half and half). Arya feels watched around them. Coincidence? I think not. There's something weird about that wood.

Anyone has any others?

1) In AFFC, Arya is shown a poison that drives men beserk. She asks if it would work on a dog. Why? Because in ACOK, Weese's pet dog that he raised from a puppy murders him after she gives Jaqen H'Gar his name.

That's a good catch. I didn't notice that. Thanks!

Anyone has any others?

There was one a little while ago that someone posted about one of the cats Arya was trying to catch in KL having been Princess Rhaenys' kitten. I thought that detail was very cool.

There was one a little while ago that someone posted about one of the cats Arya was trying to catch in KL having been Princess Rhaenys' kitten. I thought that detail was very cool.

Not just "one of the cats" -- the "real king of the castle," the hardest cat to catch. This isn't for certain, but somebody e-mailed GRRM about it and he said it's quite possible. It's in SSM.

after my 4th reread i discovered i really should read something new. or at least get out more... it is just getting embarrassing at this point. oh well, maybe i will find something new after reread #5

We still don't know who Cold Hands is, although I suspect that Colder hands is the poster above me.

as one might expect, this is a question i have looked for clues for in my rereads. and i would have to go with the board opinion on it. benjen seems most likely but i hope there is a twist and its someone jaw dropping.

to the later part of you statement, indeed i am the poster above and below you ;)

the worst of it was i skim through the books many times and i see so many TINY details but i always seem to forget them the next day. so weird eh

i notice this most on brienne rereads. i feel like i notice a lot of little things that could be clues or simple hints, and then 5 minutes after i put the book down i am clueless to what i just read.

2) In AFFC, Sam comes back on a ship called the Cinnamon Wind and captained by Quhuru Mo. We've seen them before -- they brought news of Robert's death to Dany in ACOK.

When I read the Sam chapter where the man tells him he knows of dragons, I went back to the Dany chapter in ACOK. The guys knows of dragons and he is a Summer Islander. I thought they might be the same.

• 2 weeks later...
"I should have thought that heat ill suits you Starks," Littlefinger said. "Here in the south, they say you are all made of ice, and melt when you ride below the Neck."

That's from the first conversation between Eddard and Littlefinger. At first it read as just some verbal jousting, but then I realized how cruel that comment is, when you consider how Eddard's father died -- roasted alive in his own armor by Aerys.

I've recently finished re-reading the first 3 books. Some things now make a lot more sense and some are just neat details. Here's a list:

Anyone has any others?

Fantastic havent noticed that

don't know if this has been beaten to death, i did a search and didn't come up with anything, but i believe it's in jon's first chapter in aCoK when he is surveying some new recruits in the yard. he sees an old man with a gray beard leaning on a staff.

could be nothing...

or it could be barristan selmy. my friend and i believe that he headed to the wall after his dismissal from the KG to see what's up with the only Targ he knows the location of, maester aemon. we don't see anything about an old man with gray beard and staff later at the wall, which prompts us to believe that ser barristan decided maester aemon was old and done, and then set off looking for dany.

again sorry if this is old news.

don't know if this has been beaten to death, i did a search and didn't come up with anything, but i believe it's in jon's first chapter in aCoK when he is surveying some new recruits in the yard. he sees an old man with a gray beard leaning on a staff.

The quote:

They'd come in last night with Conwy, one of the wondering crows who roamed the seven Kingdoms collecting men for the Wall. This new crop consisted of a greybeard leaning on a staff, two blond boys with the look of brothers, a yoppish youth in soiled satin etc etc

"A Clash of Kings" page 98 of the American soft-back edtion (gold cover, red writing)

Could be Barristan but it could also be another old man leaning on a staff. The reference is tiny but I agree that when G.R.R.M wrote it he knew that some would make the connection (which pushes things in you favour)

Well spotted mate!! :thumbsup:

That's really cool! Bravo on such a neat find.

That's from the first conversation between Eddard and Littlefinger. At first it read as just some verbal jousting, but then I realized how cruel that comment is, when you consider how Eddard's father died -- roasted alive in his own armor by Aerys.

That's one that i've never caught and i usually get the subtle double plays like that. :blush: nice catch.

In Damphairs chapters or ones that he's in why are his feet described as black? It confused me and made me think he was black at first. But then I thought that can't be because he is brothers with Balon and euron and vitarion and they are def not black.

i believe it's in jon's first chapter in aCoK when he is surveying some new recruits in the yard. he sees an old man with a gray beard leaning on a staff.

could be nothing...

or it could be barristan selmy. my friend and i believe that he headed to the wall after his dismissal from the KG to see what's up with the only Targ he knows the location of, maester aemon. we don't see anything about an old man with gray beard and staff later at the wall, which prompts us to believe that ser barristan decided maester aemon was old and done, and then set off looking for dany.

Hate to echo everyone here, but that IS a great catch. I'm on my 3rd read right now, and I never made that connection. This GRRM guy, he's a sneaky SOB.

Archived