Shippin' Stansa

Stannis and Sansa. Match made in heaven. By the time Stan is ready to wed her she will be old enough; he has a war to win first. After Selyse Stan deserves someone sweet and she'd get a stable, reliable husband who evokes loyalty in his followers, much like Ned did. And she'd be LF-proof.

Oh, with her LF training in the Game she'd be invaluable to him in running the kingdom, too.

Selyse is a non-problem. She's dead but hasn't found out yet. Val will take it into her head that Selyse was involved in the Jon stabbing and it's all over. Melisandre finally gets the word that Stan isn't AA reborn and takes off, so she's not a barrier, either.

What's not to like?

Sansa's journey is to internalize the lesson LF was sharing when he told her "Life is not a song". She has to end up with a husband who is not the picturesque beautiful, gallant knight she dreams of. And she has to learn to be happy with him.

A burn-faced Loras might suffice, but only if he is homosexual and doesn't want to touch her. Tyrion returning and them staying married would also work.

Sansa's journey is to internalize the lesson LF was sharing when he told her "Life is not a song". She has to end up with a husband who is not the picturesque beautiful, gallant knight she dreams of. And she has to learn to be happy with him.

She doesn't have to learn to do anything of the sort. She has to be with someone she genuinely likes point blank and who isn't in it to exploit her or engaged in some other trickery. Goodlooking or ugly has nothing to do with it.

Everything, but I don't even see Stannis getting through the winter alive, and the last thing Sansa needs is to be stuck in the political game, married to a cold, rigid man.

I'm not sure I'd call Stannis "cold".... at least not in a sexual sense. Clearly he's enjoying a sexual affair with Mel very, very much. His coldness is mostly his disgust for his homely wife, which is portrayed as utterly natural. (Though I've at times wondered if there isn't a bit of the author's disgust for unattractive women creeping into the text; since it seems strange that Stannis, a man who's seen the most brutal battles, killed men, survived for a year dining on rats at storms end, would be horrified to touch a homely woman's hand. ("The king led his wife back in, holding her stiffly by the tip of the elbow, with a look of great distaste on his face." Can touching Selyse's elbow really be worse than the numerous attrocites Stannis has witnessed, worse than dining on rats?) However, with Mel, he's quite warm and even rather attentive. It seems unlikely that he'd abandon Mel (or another pretty wife) at home for years without writing or visiting for years at a time, as he did with Selyse.

Anyhow.....

In all senses other than sexual, I agree with you that Stannis is pretty cold. Furthermore, his awkwardness with women-- and, it seems, with fancy social situations in particular--would not serve him well with Sansa, a girl who is charming, cosmopolitan, and enjoys court courtesies. As for Sansa, she'd probably try, but feel alienated and baffled by Stannis's coldness and stiff behavior. I could see her starting by trying to please him, then eventually giving up, and just avoiding him.

Also, Stannis is 36, Sansa 13.

Overall, when I think of this pairing, it brings to mind that seemingly endless, awkward silence that is apt to come up at parties where people either don't know each other or lack the social skills/ common ground to communicate. That's what the Sansa/ Stannis marriage would be-- one long, incredibly awkward silence.

I'm not sure I'd call Stannis "cold".... at least not in a sexual sense. Clearly he's enjoying a sexual affair with Mel very, very much. His coldness is mostly his disgust for his homely wife, which is portrayed as utterly natural. (Though I've at times wondered if there isn't a bit of the author's disgust for unattractive women creeping into the text; since it seems strange that Stannis, a man who's seen the most brutal battles, killed men, survived for a year dining on rats at storms end, would be horrified to touch a homely woman's hand.

Curiously, we don't really know anything about how Stannis views sleeping with Melisandre. We never know whether it occurs out of lust or in fulfillment of a promise of power. Most of me thinks Stannis would be more excited about the latter.

I don't think that we can read anything into the series about Martin's opinions of "unattractive" women.

Sometimes, I feel that it's like people drop a bunch of male characters' names in one hat, then a bunch of female characters' names in another, then just pull one out of each before starting these threads. I just don't get shipping 2 characters that have never even met, except under really rare circumstances.

To me, shipping unconventional couples is something that comes out of actual subtext between characters that actually interact... so to take a more obvious example, however objectionable shipping Sansor and Sansa might be to some people, there is a real foundation for it in the books because they interact fairly frequently (and intensely) and then think about/talk about each other even later (Sansor with Arya in ASOS/Sansa's thoughts in AFFC). Slash is the same way. Nedbert, while not really serious, in my opinion, is built out of the subtext created by the strong emotions Ned and Robert have for each other as friends, and the important role they have played in each other's lives.

By contrast, Stannis and Sansa or other things like that, is just sort of like, he's male, she's female, GO.

I am not into Jon and Dany at all, but that's more the type of thing I mean by the very rare circumstances in which it is more justified, because the title of the series and the roles they play in it, and even the way they both have a separate story (Essos/the Wall) devoted entirely to them, does make it a more logical possibility that the story could potentially go there. But circumstances like that are super unusual, and most certainly do not exist here.

I don´t understand why you guys are looking at the books with a 21st century look. What does it matter that Stannis is old enough to be her father? What do you (author) mean by " By the time Stan is ready to wed her she will be old enough", she already is old enough to marry isn't she?

Sometimes, I feel that it's like people drop a bunch of male characters' names in one hat, then a bunch of female characters' names in another, then just pull one out of each before starting these threads.

Oyvey, tell me about it.

I've got to say, one of the most bizarre recent examples of this was somebody suggesting Sansa/ Wyman Manderly. I mean, Wyman Manderly.

They were mostly joking, but still...

I don´t understand why you guys are looking at the books with a 21st century look. What does it matter that Stannis is old enough to be her father? What do you (author) mean by " By the time Stan is ready to wed her she will be old enough", she already is old enough to marry isn't she?

People like to frame their own debate it makes them right all the time. You are right it wasnt even that long ago that a man was expected to establish himself in life and then take a wife. Naturally she might be a few years younger as women his own age should probably have found a husband. most people just dont understand arranged marriage and view it as some sort of way for rapists to find victims.

Im not into shipping but i like this one it needs to happen. Stannis needs a wife with some courtly manners and a personality. The absolute perfect political marriage. Sign me up for a cabin on your ship. :commie:

Snip

His coldness with women is more than just with his ugly wife. Asha remarks on the same thing, and from all we know she's a super-hot pirate. I can't even imagine what Stannis thought of Allysane Mormont as well.

And I really don't think there's anything "sexist" or "misogynist" with Stannis's view of Selyse. He doesn't dislike her because she's ugly, he dislikes her because she never has anything smart, useful, or truthful to say. In short, she's not a merit-worthy human being, and Stannis seems to be all about giving respect where it is earned.

Fun fact: the average age at which women get married in the UK in 1600 as seen from church records was 25. Even in the aristocracy, although children were betrothed early in life, consumation did not take place until the both parties were fifteen or so.

Stannis is too old for her, too rigid, too harsh and too unfeeling. Sansa is too dutiful, too compliant, too romantic and too fond of soft, happy things for the two to have a satisfying relationship.

A burn-faced Loras might suffice, but only if he is homosexual and doesn't want to touch her. Tyrion returning and them staying married would also work.

Sansa is not doing anything resembling that Character Arc. Most of her fans seem way off too but in a different way.

Fun fact: the average age at which women get married in the UK in 1600 as seen from church records was 25. Even in the aristocracy, although children were betrothed early in life, consumation did not take place until the both parties were fifteen or so.

Stannis is too old for her, too rigid, too harsh and too unfeeling. Sansa is too dutiful, too compliant, too romantic and too fond of soft, happy things for the two to have a satisfying relationship.

You just described a perfect political marriage. probably much warmer than real life ones.

Archived