Shippin' Stansa

I'm not sure how Sansa would end up on the Iron Throne, especially unmarried and not really on the way to producing heirs. That's simply a powder keg waiting to explode into a new succession war, and then we're right back where we started.

In all likelihood, an unmarried woman is not going to be considered a stable ruler of much. A woman who wants to remain free, like Leyton's eldest unmarried daughter, is not going to find herself with much power in the world unless things change very drastically.

THE QUEEN IN THE NORTH!

And lol @ your second paragraph. Times are a-changing. Dany is the most powerful person in the world according to GRRM, and she's a woman. Things changed drastically as soon as Daenerys walked into Khal Drogo's funeral pyre.

Personally I want Dany and Sansa to both marry for love. But I want them married to men who know that their place is in the bedroom, not the throne room. :cool4:

So, in the books, Sansa has been engaged or married to five different men: Joffrey, Willas, Tyrion, Ser Sweetrobin, and Harry the Heir. She's had crushes on two, Joffrey and Loras, and is developing more complex feelings towards a third, Sandor.

Outside of that list, I have also seen Sansa paired with:

Robb

Jon

Jaime

Stannis

Aegon

Jorah - yes, Jorah

Ned Dayne

Gendry

Littlefiger

Theon

Hot Pie

Satin

Edric Storm

Mance

At this stage, we are running out of male characters left in the series. I think all that is left is Barristan, Sam, and Davos. And yet, there is only textual evidence (backed up by the author no less) for one. What the hell?

Edit: Updated list of names as new information became available

Don't forget my favourite Dany/Sansa ship, and WK's Briensa ship!

It's best not to mention the Margaery/Sansa ship seeing as Marg helped frame Sansa for Joff's murder, but it's out there...

I've complained about this in the shipping thread.

Arianne is an adult unlike the underage Sansa. She fits the damsel in a tower literally. She needs/wants to be married. She's beautiful.

Is she shipped with people? No. If the prospect of her marriage to Aegon or Jon is brought up it has nothing to do with shipping but what is likely to happen or for political reasons.

EDIT: & Sansa is shipped with every single male character. I've even seen Viserys recently. Pick a male character and there will be someone who will assume that said male character will want and need her as his wife.

Another thing is I don't see why because she's beautiful it's assumed that a man will like her. Quentyn and Gerris didn't want Dany for example. Quentyn wanted the girl next door but wanted to marry Dany for dragons and not because of personal desire.

Great points. And to support the last one you made, we even see that Tyrion doesn't truly like Sansa. He's fascinated with her, and would like her to fulfill his fantasy of a sexy, happy wife, but her personality and interests aren't attractive to him.

why ship sansa at all ??? why can't the girl get married with random mcanyone, or never get married.

ps: same goes for every other character on the series why should two "top tier" characters end up together, i find this very anoying.

pps: what about sansa optimus primer the guy is loyal he is a knight of sorts i mean he is covered in metal and fights bad guys.

Great points. And to support the last one you made, we even see that Tyrion doesn't truly like Sansa. He's fascinated with her, and would like her to fulfill his fantasy of a sexy, happy wife, but her personality and interests aren't attractive to him.

True. I think there needs to be more than just looks. What is the guy's type? If we don't know that go by the things he says or likes at least and vice versa.

When ADWD came out I've read Quentyn's lack of reaction to Dany being used as evidence that she must not be beautiful. No, she is. He just doesn't want that type of girl and would rather have someone more attainable.

I also think the criteria for fandom bicycle is what was said on the previous page with the addition of "innocent" or "good."

why ship sansa at all ??? why can't the girl get married with random mcanyone, or never get married.

Honestly, although "SanSan" is known as a ship, and I'm a supporter of that pairing, I don't actively consider myself a shipper, neither am I interested in wholesale "pairing" of characters. And I don't think the term "ship" benefits Sandor and Sansa's pairing either. It seems like shipping is denigrated because people assume it's purely wish-fulfilment, when in reality, Sansan resembles a theory, and has considerably more evidence than a lot of popular ones out there. Just like people are interested in whether Jon will be King, or how Dany will rule Westeros, there are those out there who are interested in how Sandor and Sansa can make it work. I don't see why that isn't a valid exercise.

Marg as damsel in distress, really? And believe me, she's almost never shipped with anyone. Most people see her as a black widow.

Marg is not being shipped with anyone because she's been paired up with pretty much everyone already in the books. I myself ship her with Ramsey because that would mean his death in half a page from exchanging cloaks.

THE QUEEN IN THE NORTH!

And lol @ your second paragraph. Times are a-changing. Dany is the most powerful person in the world according to GRRM, and she's a woman. Things changed drastically as soon as Daenerys walked into Khal Drogo's funeral pyre.

Personally I want Dany and Sansa to both marry for love. But I want them married to men who know that their place is in the bedroom, not the throne room. :cool4:

Don't forget my favourite Dany/Sansa ship, and WK's Briensa ship!

It's best not to mention the Margaery/Sansa ship seeing as Marg helped frame Sansa for Joff's murder, but it's out there...

I echo brashcandy. :)

I have this theory that Dany, Sansa, and Brienne are going to become best friends at the end of the series.

Marg is not being shipped with anyone because she's been paired up with pretty much everyone already in the books. I myself ship her with Ramsey because that would mean his death in half a page from exchanging cloaks.

... and an arrow, came flying out of the solid wall and stuck on young lord ramsay's throat.

This thread is fun, (there is some male sexism going on in here but I will jump in anyway) I like sansa alot. I think she has come very far in the series and has learned alot. There are certain moments in the series that piss me off so much I have to put the book down for a bit, sansas wedding to tyrion was one of them. I felt so bad for her, then when cercei said "well get you wedded and bedded wether you like it or no" I thought I would finnesh the chapter then put the book away for a while, honestly if tyrion did anything to her I would not be here right now, I probably would have thrown the book out. I was pleasantly suprised by tyrions reaction. Anyway, I want sansa to be with an attractive guy who is both attracted to her and cares for her, not her claim(witch, with rickon alive doesnt matter). I dont understand shipping sansa with ugly men. There is no reason she should not have an attractive man, good looking people end up with good looking people, why would that be different for sansa? All that being said the list of men available is not very big, much as I love stannis no that pairing does not work. There is textual evidence for sandor, but it goes back to sansa being attracted to her husband, I dont think sandors burned face would be something she would like. Maybe a northman?

I dont understand shipping sansa with ugly men. There is no reason she should not have an attractive man, good looking people end up with good looking people, why would that be different for sansa?

I don't care if he's ugly,beautiful,green,blue or has two heads as long as he's what she wants and he loves and respects her I'm cool with it.

There is textual evidence for sandor, but it goes back to sansa being attracted to her husband, I dont think sandors burned face would be something she would like. Maybe a northman?

She has a dream of him climbing into her bed where he is identified by his burned face. She thinks that his face isn't what is truly scary, but the rage in his eyes. These, coupled with the unkiss suggests to me that she's no longer turned off by his scars.

Hey...In my defense, I ship Mance with everyone, because he's just the man. That was really a joke with him and Sansa obviously :cool4: .

It is funny how many people Sansa has been paired up with though. Quick, someone start shipping Sansa and Sam lol.

She has a dream of him climbing into her bed where he is identified by his burned face. She thinks that his face isn't what is truly scary, but the rage in his eyes. These, coupled with the unkiss suggests to me that she's no longer turned off by his scars.

I dont know, do you really think she could be happy with sandor? He is not as bad as his brother, but he is still an asshole. And at least the first asshole she was engaged to was attractive. I think a sandor marriage would be almost as bad as a joff one. I want to see her with someone she likes and cares for and I dont feel she would have a happy marriage with sandor. Imo an attractive guy that really is in to her would be perfect for her. And he has to be noble born, I mean its sansa we are talking about, ned starks daughter highest of high lords she cant marry a peasent or a bastard.

I dont know, do you really think she could be happy with sandor? He is not as bad as his brother, but he is still an asshole. And at least the first asshole she was engaged to was attractive. I think a sandor marriage would be almost as bad as a joff one. I want to see her with someone she likes and cares for and I dont feel she would have a happy marriage with sandor. Imo an attractive guy that really is in to her would be perfect for her. And he has to be noble born, I mean its sansa we are talking about, ned starks daughter highest of high lords she cant marry a peasent or a bastard.

dude you've got much to learn, women love assholes. especially young women

Well Sandor isn't a peasant or a bastard, but even so, surely Sansa's desire should be paramount here? And why does the guy need to be handsome? I'm not one of those people who will tell you that Sansa should be with an ugly man because it would teach her a lesson or any such nonsense; my focus is on Sansa being able to make a free choice of whom she wants to be romantically involved with, whether that person is ugly, pretty, or in-between. As for Sandor being an asshole, it doesn't seem to have stopped her from fantasising about him, and she's already made clear what it is that she wishes would change about him. At the end of the day, a person does not need to be flawless in personality for someone to love them; they can even be a bit of a prick. I don't know what you mean by "asshole" but I will admit that Sandor could be a jerk and was harsh at times. Outside of that, his major fault was his anger and emotional issues stemming from Gregor's abuse. Sansa seems to be able to look past the jerk bit, and wishes he gets help for the anger. After that, anything could happen.

ETA: And given that Sandor's the one who protected her during the engagement to Joff, I don't there's anything to validate the view that a marriage to him would be like one to Joff.

Well Sandor isn't a peasant or a bastard, but even so, surely Sansa's desire should be paramount here? And why does the guy need to be handsome? I'm not one of those people who will tell you that Sansa should be with an ugly man because it would teach her a lesson or any such nonsense; my focus is on Sansa being able to make a free choice of whom she wants to be romantically involved with, whether that person is ugly, pretty, or in-between. As for Sandor being an asshole, it doesn't seem to have stopped her from fantasising about him, and she's already made clear what it is that she wishes would change about him. At the end of the day, a person does not need to be flawless in personality for someone to love them; they can even be a bit of a prick. I don't know what you mean by "asshole" but I will admit that Sandor could be a jerk and was harsh at times. Outside of that, his major fault was his anger and emotional issues stemming from Gregor's abuse. Sansa seems to be able to look past the jerk bit, and wishes he gets help for the anger. After that, anything could happen.

ETA: And given that Sandor's the one who protected her during the engagement to Joff, I don't there's anything to validate the view that a marriage to him would be like one to Joff.

Sandor has murdered kids. Iradeemable, and yes, what sansa wants should be paramount, do you really think she would want sandor? Sansa wants a good looking guy, she has thought it time and time again how she wants to be with a good looking guy. And by joff marriage I mean a toxic and uhealthy relationship, not that he would beat her or anything(heck, he might when drunk). I really think sansan is a bad match.

Sandor has murdered kids. Iradeemable, and yes, what sansa wants should be paramount, do you really think she would want sandor? Sansa wants a good looking guy, she has thought it time and time again how she wants to be with a good looking guy. And by joff marriage I mean a toxic and uhealthy relationship, not that he would beat her or anything(heck, he might when drunk). I really think sansan is a bad match.

Well this entire discussion is off topic, E-Ro, so I'll just respond by stating that I think your reading is not supported by the text. And if you want to have a fuller discussion on this, I'd be happy to engage you in the PtP thread, where we're currently having presentations on the male influences in Sansa's life.

Sometimes, I feel that it's like people drop a bunch of male characters' names in one hat, then a bunch of female characters' names in another, then just pull one out of each before starting these threads. I just don't get shipping 2 characters that have never even met, except under really rare circumstances.

This is accurate except for the dropping the female names in a hat. The only female character name dropped in is always Sansa. She's been "shipped" with almost every male character there is.

Archived