Did ASOIAF change anything about you?

Mormont'sRaven

I have never read any book(s) three times in a row. I have never joined a forum to discuss any books. I have never felt less intelligent than I have since joining the forum.

Yesterday, at the grocery store, I saw a man in his fifties with unnaturally light blond hair ( from a box?) and I immediately wondered, blood of Old Valyria? So I sidled up next to him by the lettuce and checked out the colour of his eyes. Not violet, just hazel. No secret Targ. I wanted to say something like "Valar Morghulis" to see if he would respond in kind, but he was already backing away nervously.

Maybe we, of the fandom, should invent a secret sign (like the Freemasons) so that we can identify ourselves to each other.

I vote for pinching our noses and making monkey sounds. Or even better, pinching the other person's nose and making monkey sounds.

These books reduced my chances of getting married (and I didn't have good chances before, so....)

It's nice to see I'm not the only one with other language (=not English) as native that uses the phrases!

You know, you could make a thread in this forum to find someone else who's a fan of the series and looking for a date.

GEORGE RUINED ME; I'll never think any other set of books has anything on ASOIAF. I continue to compare them to other novels and reamin competely and utterly dissatisfied.

A suitable analogy would be having a perfect girlfriend for 2 weeks then her getting hit by a bus after ADwD. After a period of time you start dating again (reading other books) and no other girl, I mean book compares...sigh

I've noticed other things aswell.

-I don't take people at face value about anything anymore. I Adopted a sort of "i'll assume your lying until proven otherwise" way of thinking.

-I'm more paraniod than I was previously, and pay a fair amount of attention to my surroundings. Less into doing teenager related activities (18)

-When the moment is right & appropriate I glance sideways at said person and reply, "it is known."

-Sometimes at work my mind goes into this dreamcloud when I'm thinking about something from ASOIAF.

-I've developed something of a nervous twitch, waiting for TWoW.

- I always think "what would Tyrion do" which is disconcerting..cause, as far as I know, Tyrion would rape a bitch.

- Had to stop reading fantasy, as I find it all reads the same as garbage to ASIOAF.

-I keep telling people who watch the show to read the books. Like, what the hell is wrong with you people, seriously(?)

Tons of other things too. Mostly the many word expressions from the books/show

@Team Dragonstone. A tattoo of Stannis's Lord of Light sigil? OMG NOW I WANT ONE . I may get the Sun & Spear of Dorne on the back of my neck. Not gonna get too hasty though :D

Comic Sans. Get at me

'It is known' is now part of my vocabulary, as well as 'gods be good' and 'seven bloody hells'

Also I usually describe bad things as dark and full of terrors.

Me too! Those are all part of my vocabulary and no one around me gets it because I know very few people into the series. I do try to convince anyone and everyone I know to either watch it on HBO or read the books, have even offered to lend them mine... but no takers so far!

Oh and I am in love with the innatthecrossroads site and really really want to go to the Pensic Wars, but I highly doubt my lovely husband would go.

My favorite over dramatic "NOOOOO!!!!" has gone from Darth Vader at the end of Revenge of the Sith to Stannis Baratheon at the end of Blackwater.

Additionally joining this board has forced me to inform my mother I can't go to dinner because someone is wrong on the internet about 40% more than usual.

I now know that I can react physically to something I read. I felt sad before when reading a particularly sad scene, I've even cried at one point or two but I've never felt sick and shaky from something I've READ. Never before and never since.

I don't trust main characters in books and TV anymore. Even if it's from the POV of a 5 year old girl it's her who I suspect of having killed and raped her 80 year old grandmother.

Plus (and this one's from the show), whenever I can't find my glasses, my book, my keys or anything, I start screaming like Dany. "WHERE ARE MY GLASSES?!?!"

I think how lucky I am to have electricity and novacaine.

I think about what if civilzation falls and we suddenly have to live in a world without those things.... the need to create warmth, the need to catch food and appreciate a broth of onions with a carrot and potato in it, the need to dig latreens and have weapons.

Working in customer service I can appreciate the importance of arming yourself against enemies if the time should come - society is becoming more and more nasty and judgmental by leaps and bounds. I think about forming factions - like the peeps in my neighborhood would form our 'army'....

Those are the things I think about.... :frown5:

My favorite over dramatic "NOOOOO!!!!" has gone from Darth Vader at the end of Revenge of the Sith to Stannis Baratheon at the end of Blackwater.

Additionally joining this board has forced me to inform my mother I can't go to dinner because someone is wrong on the internet about 40% more than usual.

Don't feel bad. While reading the series the first time I neglected my family and friends for several weeks.

As for "ruined my life", I find myself quoting funny remarks and sayings. Like "It is known" or even "Valar Morghulis".

• 1 month later...

I have never read any book(s) three times in a row. I have never joined a forum to discuss any books. I have never felt less intelligent than I have since joining the forum.

Yesterday, at the grocery store, I saw a man in his fifties with unnaturally light blond hair ( from a box?) and I immediately wondered, blood of Old Valyria? So I sidled up next to him by the lettuce and checked out the colour of his eyes. Not purple, just hazel. No secret Targ. I wanted to say something like "Valar Morghulis" to see if he would respond in kind, but he was already backing away nervously.

Maybe we, of the fandom, should invent a secret sign (like the Freemasons) so that we can identify ourselves to each other.

sounds good to me

The books have definitely changed the way I look at literature, and I find the books have almost made me a tad cynical. Whereas I used to be a hopeless romantic (very Sansa-ish) I am not much of that sort. Whereas I used to ship characters in other books I've read, I am doing that less, much less, if at all. Love and happy endings, they seem so unrealistic.

As far as vocabulary... Winter is Coming is always a frontrunner, even in May. I find myself saying Words are Wind, especially to liars...I've even let out a few "If it please you..." Sometimes certain words come out of my mouth with an accent---though I attribute that to watching nothing but Channel 4 shows on Netflix... The Book Group, Spaced...Black Books, though I'm not sure that's Channel 4. ANYWAY. I wish someone would tell me I was "Kissed by Fire", it may not be natural, but certainly looks it. I hate to disappoint.

Archived