Did ASOIAF change anything about you?

Mormont'sRaven

-I casually throw random Asoiaf references in the middle of conversations (in the secret hope that somebody would pick them up and show me their true colours)

-I have a hard time appreciating other fantasy series as I used to do. Everything seem so naive and obvious now.

-I repeat Syrio's mantra when I'm nervous "Silent as a shadow. Swift as a deer. Light as a feather. Fear cuts deeper than swords".

-I get over-upset for untasteful jokes at the expenses of little people

Well my expectations have been raised significantly for what qualifies as 'good' fiction. I'm afraid to re read old series and find that they suck in comparison.

I'm constantly giggling at things that remind me of ASoIaF and having to awkwardly explain what's funny to blank stares.

I constantly harass my friends to read them and when they are, to read faster.

I joined a forum to talk about them because that's how ridiculously obsessed I am with it;)

I say "would that I could" despite the fact that I live in brazil and speak portuguese. but for some reason I haven't picked up other expressions, although I do use them in my inner dialogues (ever since I learned english, which was about 20 years ago, I've been having conversations with myself in that language).

I have a job and a social life, but I'm always thinking about asoiaf in the background. I can't bring myself to read other fantasies because I know they won't be as satisfying. when I'm at work, like now, I always have a westeros.org tab open. I think of myself as far less intelligent and capable than I did before because I just hadn't noticed A LOT of asoiaf plot intricacies and just came to know about them because of westeros.org and also I feel like an airhead because some people here have very interesting and sophisticated views on characters and plot aspects that I just couldn't elaborate by myself. but what changed the most is that despite the fact that his forum makes me feel dumb (and I was always praised for being smart), I don't even care so long as I can spend time reading, musing or talking about asoiaf.

Same here, since reading posts on this forum I came to question my wits-I just didn't catch all the details, but then to be honest I devoured the books the first time I read them just to see what happens next, so maybe that's to blame too.

But, yeah, This forum does make me feel dumb/unperceptive at times :dunce:

I now read other books without a real belief that anything will happen to the main character. Read "The Hunger Games" and didn't believe anything would happen to Katniss. I don't feel any other book series will come close to this. I also check on the forums to get my daily dose of talking about ASOIAF.

-I casually throw random Asoiaf references in the middle of conversations (in the secret hope that somebody would pick them up and show me their true colours)

You too ah? :lol:

And I'm just ridiculously giddy when it happens too.

I also tend to use ASOIAF phrases in general conversation (most mentioned here). I've also completely nerded out over the series, the show, and etc.

I teach in High School and since reading ASOIAF I always start the first class of the year telling my students they still "smell of summer"...

Not to mention their first essay is always about a certain line: "Old stories are like old friends, you have to visit them from time to time".

Also, I give my students the "I prefer my History dead" line whenever they ask me about things of the present.

And whenever someone asks me to do them a favor I tend to say "The things I do for love", a line I will forever associate with changing my niece's diapers when she was a babe.

I tend to do the same, but generally it's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic references, though.

I used to read R. A. Salvatore a lot, but recently (even before reading ASoIaF), I'd started to find his style too obvious, that he seemed to think his readers were dumb and couldn't figure out anything on their own. I don't thnk that I'll ever touch them again, now. XD

I tend to do the same, but generally it's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic references, though.

I used to read R. A. Salvatore a lot, but recently (even before reading ASoIaF), I'd started to find his style too obvious, that he seemed to think his readers were dumb and couldn't figure out anything on their own. I don't thnk that I'll ever touch them again, now. XD

I'm not the only brony!

I do the same for both fandoms.

I now frequently say "could be, might be", but that's from the show (Hound's scene with Sansa in her room after the BBW). I also often think to myself "calm as still water", "fierce as a wolverine", "fear cuts deeper than swords" depending on whatever relevant situation I find myself in (usually at work and building up for a confrontation, as I have a lot of those when at the office).

I hate myself when I think "It is known" to myself, but I do it a lot.

oh yeah, also I was looking for an apartment to rent and, as I much prefer houses (mostly cabin-type), I was really dismayed thinking I'll never afford to live in a house... then I thought it would be cool if I was in asoiaf world and could, at least hypothetically, just invade and take someone's place. it's pretty stupid, I know, but I swear the thought crossed my mind.

I have never read any book(s) three times in a row. I have never joined a forum to discuss any books. I have never felt less intelligent than I have since joining the forum.

Yesterday, at the grocery store, I saw a man in his fifties with unnaturally light blond hair ( from a box?) and I immediately wondered, blood of Old Valyria? So I sidled up next to him by the lettuce and checked out the colour of his eyes. Not purple, just hazel. No secret Targ. I wanted to say something like "Valar Morghulis" to see if he would respond in kind, but he was already backing away nervously.

Maybe we, of the fandom, should invent a secret sign (like the Freemasons) so that we can identify ourselves to each other.

Archived