Could Robert Barantheon have defeated Arthur Dayne?

Pope Killdragon

Rhaegar beat Dayne in a joust not a sword fight. That is like saying that Loras could defeat Jaime simply because he could beat him in a joust. Dayne tracked down and destroyed the kingswood brotherhood so it isn't as if he was just some painted tourney knight who couldn't fight in real life.

Ned didn't defeat Dayne in single combat. Ned had a 7 to 3 advantage and still was nearly killed by Dayne, he would have died but was saved by Howland Reed and we do not know what methods Reed used.

Robert also didn't fear that boar, what good did that do him? Having no fear means nothing.

Well I think Robert could have taken Howland and Ned at the same time. He would just spin on his toe and swing the war hammer around.

Seriously, not enough info to decide. I wanna hear more about both. Why can't we have a prequel series? That would be awesome. I'll put my money on Stag because I love people who drink and whore and Dayne probably was too honorable for that. And war hammers are bad ass.

I am a bit surprised this is even being argued. Yes Robert was a powerhouse of a warrior but physical strength alone does not equal a better warrior. If they were both fighting with their hands then yeah Robert may have an advantage. Tools of war are a great equalizer; they alow smaller or average sized men to utilize technique to vanquish larger foes. Arthur Dayne with dawn in his hands was a warrior with no equal.

I imagine in a confrontation between the two, Robert would raise his hammer to strike. Dayne would step back quickly letting the hammer strike the ground. Before Robert even gets the chance to raise the heavy hammer Dayne would probably stab Robert through his visor's eye slits or smite his neck (armour or no armour, a strike to the neck can be lethal). Robert's hammer may be a beast of a weapon but such a heavy bludgening tool has many drawbacks.

Thank you for saying this because I think some people thinks he was. Arthur Dayne is one of the best, yes. But in GRRM's world, no one is unbeatable.

I really thought this went without saying. But looking through the posts, it turns out this really needed to be spelled out.

• 2 years later...

My thing with Robert is that although I can accept there might be some better fighters than him around, I always picture Robert still killing them after being fataly wounded.

Unlist the chop his head, the fury is still going to keep on until the other guy dies to. As he did with the boar.

we must remember he stayed around until he could talk with Ned and settle things, staying alive for more than a day with wounds that would have killed any man way before as the great maester said. Its almost like he chose when to die after he got what he wanted done.

Imo ,70-30 Dayne.Robert has high skill ,he was probably learnt to fight with warhammers and it is a small advantage for him,because many people didn't use to fight against guys with warhammers.

Someone told about Robert vs Jaime.I think prime Robert would win.I just think so.

No he couldn't. At the tower of Joy, it took two men to defeat him. If Howland wasn't there, Ned was toast. But there is never stated that Ned killed Arthur. Could Howland have done it, blocking the way and fighting Dayne while Ned was going for Lyanna.

For all of Dayne's skill I think Robert takes it due to the fact that his weapon is far better suited at crushing through plate, and he's going to be pretty darn fast; look up some modern reenactments, a knight in armor is not at all like the lumbering giant depicted in fantasy cliches. The armor is what makes me favor Robert, more than anything else- swords, even magical two handed swords, are really really bad against armor compared to a warhammer, and Robert would also have better reach both as a person (he's likely taller) and with his weapon. That counts for a lot.

Also, on horseback I think a warhammer would actually be less useful than on foot,so Rhaegar probably had better chances mounted than in a melee, granted still rather poor given he's not on Robert or Dayne's level.

As a side note that lords trained at arms would be trained in the use of all sorts of weapons as well as hand to hand combat- even if Robert favored a warhammer and Dayne favored Dawn if they could both be reasonably expected to be at least competent with everything from polearms to crossbows.

I would favor Dayne, but Robert and the hammer would have the proverbial punchers chance.- prime for prIme. A valyerian steel longsword is probably too fast and sharp for a dude with a 20lb hammer at the most elite level.

20lb? prob 50+. Ned said he could barely lift it.

No he couldn't. At the tower of Joy, it took two men to defeat him. If Howland wasn't there, Ned was toast. But there is never stated that Ned killed Arthur. Could Howland have done it, blocking the way and fighting Dayne while Ned was going for Lyanna.

But Ned is an average warrior, GRRM said as much. So I don't think that argument really holds. Robert was a much better warrior than Ned. He was legendary.

Possibly. Robert was all about strength and vigor, Dayne would have a hard time blocking his blows, and even if he does block them, it would still hurt and push him backwards, which would give him the advantage.

Skilled warriors don't block, blocking is stupid, they'd either get out of the way or parry.

In reality, fighting off multiple opponents in close combat without some kind of advantage in terms of environment or equipment is next to impossible. The Tower of Joy reflects that pretty well. Seven apparently average nobles take on three of the greatest warriors on the continent, and the seven win (though, the three would have just barely won if it was 3 vs 6 rather than 3 vs 7).

Archived