First scene of Season 3

princethomas

I think the opening scene of the new season will obviously be pretty important. What would everyone like to see as the first thing?

My vote is to start with one of those Bran's dream kinds of scenes. The wolf's eye view out in the wilderness and then have him come upon some men and attack them. And then when it cuts back to a close up, its Ayra's face and eyes that open.

I don't know exactly when in the first Episode they will show what's going on with Sam but I think there's a decent chance that they'll be skipping the actual battle on the Fist and showing the exhausting chase of the NW back to Craster's which is where Sam actually kills the White Walker with the Obsidian. I think that scene will thrust the audience right into the confusion of the retreat from the Fist and how Sam would be struggling to keep up with the fleeing group before getting isolated.

You could speculate on what could be the very first scene of Season 3 but there are so many good options (Bran warging in his dreams, Theon being thrown into an unknown dungeon, Dany on her boat to Astapor, Jon being led to Mance etc), I don't think anyone would be doing any more than guessing.

Attack on the fist of the first men, the book started so, so why not the season too?

May I ask a question on this?

I was quite confused by the end of Season 2 - probably just me being slow and it was before I read Book 3.

The last scene as I recall had Sam and another couple of NW guys (I struggle to tell them apart in the show sometimes) staggering through the snows and coming against the army of wights led by the Other. Is that different than the book plot as I don't recall that from the books? And if so, is it supposedly happening before the Others' assault on the FoFM?

May I ask a question on this?

I was quite confused by the end of Season 2 - probably just me being slow and it was before I read Book 3.

The last scene as I recall had Sam and another couple of NW guys (I struggle to tell them apart in the show sometimes) staggering through the snows and coming against the army of wights led by the Other. Is that different than the book plot as I don't recall that from the books? And if so, is it supposedly happening before the Others' assault on the FoFM?

In the books, the Prologue, from Chett's POV (he's one of the would-be deserters) going through the details of their planned mutiny conspiracy and interacting with various members of the Night's Watch, including Sam, before a watchman blows three blasts, causing everyone to piss their pants (in Chett's case, literally). Our next visit with the NW is from Samwell's POV. He was in the fist for the attack but they were getting slaughtered, and in flashback he describes a desperate charge led by the Old Bear to lead a small group of survivors in retreat. Sam is with that group initially, but he, Grenn, and Small Paul get separated from the rest. We pick up Sam's POV in the present tense in this group of 3.

In the movies, Sam, Grenn, and Dolorous Edd are out collecting animal droppings to burn as fuel when the three blasts occur. Grenn and Edd bolt but Samwell freezes, hides behind a rock, and we get the reveal of the Others and their wighs storming the fist.

As for the first scene, gotta start with Davos on his rock imo.

Yeah, it is significantly different. The Others did not take part in the attack on the Fist, just the wights, and Sam wasn't off the Fist when they attacked. I don't like what they did with that scene, as the only way Sam survives (which we know he does) is going to be through some incredibly improbable miracle that will just look stupid. They've painted themselves into a corner with it, and there isn't a reasonable way to get out of it.

A several minute no dialogue scene with Davos waking, coughing up water, struggling to find water/food almost dying before the rescue arrives would be good.

... Would be good if the showrunners wanted to kill the series.

Open with a character/story the viewers care about -- Sam and the White Walkers. Or just go for the safe decision and open with King's Landing.

I think it would be best to show how Sam is going to escape the WW seeing as that's the most direct cliffhanger of the season and the WW's invasion is something that's important to the series as a whole, not just to an individual character like Davos. I think we'll also see a fair bit of the fighting on the Fist as the episode ending as well. Does anyone know if the show is getting another budget boost?

For some reason, the image of Davos on his little rock seems like a good opening.

I actually like this, cause the last time the audience saw him was being blown off his boat on the Blackwater, and he was liked last season.

Also like the idea of a wolf dream opening to Arya and not Bran. We know Bran has powers but its time to start showing that Arya's warging powers are still quite strong. She's on the road and walking towards Nymeria's domain so it would make sense.

I would like to see the flight from the fist but I think budgetwise it might be a bit of a costly opening so I think we will pick up with the NW members already running for casters and not be given any real explanation as to how/why Sam managed not to die.

I don't think we're going to open with Robb + his Bride, Cat, or anyone in KL. Obviously they will be in the episode but I don't think it will start there.

I actually like this, cause the last time the audience saw him was being blown off his boat on the Blackwater, and he was liked last season.

Also like the idea of a wolf dream opening to Arya and not Bran. We know Bran has powers but its time to start showing that Arya's warging powers are still quite strong. She's on the road and walking towards Nymeria's domain so it would make sense.

I would like to see the flight from the fist but I think budgetwise it might be a bit of a costly opening so I think we will pick up with the NW members already running for casters and not be given any real explanation as to how/why Sam managed not to die.

I don't think we're going to open with Robb + his Bride, Cat, or anyone in KL. Obviously they will be in the episode but I don't think it will start there.

I don't think they can cop-out and not show Sam escaping. I think it likely that the WW will just leave Sam and that he'll find some adrenaline and manage to get back to the Fist before the WW's. Then the battle can just be shown in the background as Sam gets of the ravens to CB.

Opening with a wolf dream that turns out to be Arya would also be pretty cool.

Yeah, it is significantly different. The Others did not take part in the attack on the Fist, just the wights, and Sam wasn't off the Fist when they attacked. I don't like what they did with that scene, as the only way Sam survives (which we know he does) is going to be through some incredibly improbable miracle that will just look stupid. They've painted themselves into a corner with it, and there isn't a reasonable way to get out of it.

I thought it was fairly clear in the final scene that Sam is considered inconsequential by the Walkers who are focusing on attacking the NW on the Fist. There doesn't seem to be a lot of consideration for the fat boy pissing himself behind a rock. I think the way Sam survives is going to be by the indifference of the attacking group. The Walkers seem to be particular about who they kill, otherwise why bother letting Gared (in the books) / Will (in the show) get away during the opening prologue of the series?

I don't think they can cop-out and not show Sam escaping. I think it likely that the WW will just leave Sam and that he'll find some adrenaline and manage to get back to the Fist before the WW's. Then the battle can just be shown in the background as Sam gets of the ravens to CB.

Opening with a wolf dream that turns out to be Arya would also be pretty cool.

Oh I'm hoping they don't but worried they will b/c of budget reasons. Your scenerio however would be a good way to show it.

Almost all non-book-readers don't give a fuck about Davos (at least I think so, I also doubt half of the people even know him by name). Anyway, I would love the opening but I think they're going with the Fist or King's Landing.

You can bet that there will be a flashback introduction montage of season 2 before the opening credits, so it won't be a matter of viewers forgetting people like Davos - they can ensure that all the key people for Ep 1 are featured in that flashback intro.

I rather like the idea of not opening with something as obvious as the Sam/ White Walkers or KL, and giving us something that gives viewers a slight pause in terms of 'ooh - where is this going now?' and keeps them watching to see what did happen to Sam, Tyrion, etc. So Davos (which gives a neat link back to Blackwater and the outcome of the battle) or Bran and a dream would be a neat way to go.

They could just move up Sam's dragonglass slay to take place here against an Other instead of a Wight and then they have him safely positioned off the fist for the duration of the slaughter. Then he can just bolt from there and link up with the fleeing crows.

They could just move up Sam's dragonglass slay to take place here against an Other instead of a Wight and then they have him safely positioned off the fist for the duration of the slaughter. Then he can just bolt from there and link up with the fleeing crows.

1. He slays another in the books as well.

2. If they do have Sam the Slayer moved to episode 1, Sam is in the midst of an undead army and has just attacked one of their commanders.

Archived