First scene of Season 3

princethomas

I think they will open with a short scene of Davos in the Island and then move to the Fist, or open with a short scene in the Fist and then move to Davos. I think a wolf dream, and then Arya waking up, would be a good opening for the chapter were the Reeds explain the dreams to Bran. I would also like if they have Orell talking about warging to Jon in the same chapter, to keep all those storylines connected.

I don't know exactly when in the first Episode they will show what's going on with Sam but I think there's a decent chance that they'll be skipping the actual battle on the Fist and showing the exhausting chase of the NW back to Craster's which is where Sam actually kills the White Walker with the Obsidian. I think that scene will thrust the audience right into the confusion of the retreat from the Fist and how Sam would be struggling to keep up with the fleeing group before getting isolated.

You could speculate on what could be the very first scene of Season 3 but there are so many good options (Bran warging in his dreams, Theon being thrown into an unknown dungeon, Dany on her boat to Astapor, Jon being led to Mance etc), I don't think anyone would be doing any more than guessing.

I like this possibility a lot. I believe that if it starts off with the frantic retreat instead of the actual battle it will instil a sense of fear about the others and how dangerous they actually are. It will leave the viewers' imagination going every which way trying to think about how strong they actually are.

I think they have to show it on screen at least partially. You can't just tease a massive battle, make the viewers wait an entire year for it and then skip it completely. Imo we'll see it from Sam's POV (if he gets back to the Fist in time.) and as he won't exactly be fighting they wont have to be too explicit about it.

I think they have to show it on screen at least partially. You can't just tease a massive battle, make the viewers wait an entire year for it and then skip it completely. Imo we'll see it from Sam's POV (if he gets back to the Fist in time.) and as he won't exactly be fighting they wont have to be too explicit about it.

Yeah, but Sam is basically INSIDE the army. How are they going to solve that?

Yeah, but Sam is basically INSIDE the army. How are they going to solve that?

Well, have the WW's just ignore Sam as he's not worth killing, then Sam can reach the Fist just ahead of the Wight army (Not impossible. Even Sam should be able to find some adrenaline in such a situation and armies move slower than individuals, especially armies of zombies.).

And however they end up doing it the fact remains that if, after teasing the battle for a year, they skip it, people will be ticked off.

Could be a good time to introduce Edmure Tully and reintroduce the Jaime and Brienne sub-plot

Start with a shot of still water, and then an ore splashes through and the camera pans back to show two familiar faces; Jaime and Brienne, with The Kingslayer hollering back at his pursuers, centrally one Edmure Tully. They engage in some verbal sparring that serves as exposition on who exactly Edmure is

I know he wasn't personally involved in the chase in the book but hey, this is TV, and it wouldn't be the first time they trimmed the fat for sake of a tighter narrative and to get certain characters more involved. The chase could end the same way it does in the book, with Jaime having a devil/angel moment before ultimately doing the right thing

Well, have the WW's just ignore Sam as he's not worth killing, then Sam can reach the Fist just ahead of the Wight army (Not impossible. Even Sam should be able to find some adrenaline in such a situation and armies move slower than individuals, especially armies of zombies.).

And however they end up doing it the fact remains that if, after teasing the battle for a year, they skip it, people will be ticked off.

If they want to show some of the fighting on the Fist, they don't even need to have Sam be there technically. The show isn't beholden to the POV structure so they can show Jeor giving orders as well as Grenn and Edd being the ones showing up to man the lines. The Battle at the Fist as described in the book isn't really that much of a battle at all. More of the NW launching fire arrows at the approaching wights coming up the base, realizing that that tactic is not having that much effect and then retreating with only a certain amount being able to get away.

Sam can be isolated as part of the retreat where he then ends up killing the WW with the obsidian. Even if they show some scenes at the Fist, most likely they will be very truncated if only to demonstrate that the NW almost immediately are screwed and have to take off. They certainly aren't going to have a Blackwater budget bump this season so the battles that they do show will probably be more Season 1 level.

• 3 weeks later...

I would quite like the image of jaime and brienne sailing down a river on their little boat to begin the season, just like the book started (without the prologue)

Nice and calm

We won't be getting that. We already saw them on a boat, their storyline is already more advanced than that.

How does this sound?

A cold opening of Davos on his rock. Maybe a with him passing in and out of his fever or some other time lapse technique, until he gets picked up.

Then the opening theme.

And then battle of the fist of the first men, or the retreat, whatever they pick.

That would be good, the most popular opening scene here I've found is Davos sitting on a rock somewhere! I think it would be good, because whether he is alive or not is in the back of the minds of most people watching the programme. I don't think they'll have Samwell running to the fist so early though. I think they'll keep the suspense up from the end of Season 2 and maybe throw the battle at the fist at the end of episode 1.

the Prologue of Davos on his rock with the sight of the ship finishing it. Opening scene after credits an uncasted Hoster Tully's funeral with Robb and Cat arriving on the scene and meeting Edmure that will then cut to Jaime and Brienne

What, do we want them to rush through that material? The whole Hoster funeral is a rather emotional event for Cat, and it serves as an introduction to an entirely new house (basically). I would wish for them to take their time getting there, and then sort out the matter slowly.

I'm betting on the Fist. Big action climax needs some sort of resolution, and it's technically the prologue anyhow.

They'll probably go with the Fist of the First Men scene - it's pretty intense and an epic start to all the craziness that will ensue with this season.I kinda like the Davos opening scene too... But as it has been said, non-book viewers will not be that interested in Davos for it to be the opening scene... yet, who knows.

Archived