First scene of Season 3

princethomas

But I don't know if starting the episode with the battle without any build-up would work. I think it's more probable that it will be the last sequence of the episode. Some other character can mention the WW or the NW and then cut to the middle of the action.

But I don't know if starting the episode with the battle without any build-up would work. I think it's more probable that it will be the last sequence of the episode. Some other character can mention the WW or the NW and then cut to the middle of the action.

That could work, although an interview with James Cosmo (Jeor Mormont.) suggests the battle will be the first scene of the season. I don't see the need for two much build up, maybe just the NW preparing before hand for a minute.

That could work, although an interview with James Cosmo (Jeor Mormont.) suggests the battle will be the first scene of the season. I don't see the need for two much build up, maybe just the NW preparing before hand for a minute.

I don't know if Cosmo would be privy to the shooting sequence of episodes. I think the actors receive the scripts for only the scenes they are involved in. More likely he was just discussing the first scene that he is in during E1. And there's even a decent chance that he may be referring to the first scene that he shot for S3 which could be shown at any time since it is commonplace to shoot scenes out of sequence.

I don't know if Cosmo would be privy to the shooting sequence of episodes. I think the actors receive the scripts for only the scenes they are involved in. More likely he was just discussing the first scene that he is in during E1. And there's even a decent chance that he may be referring to the first scene that he shot for S3 which could be shown at any time since it is commonplace to shoot scenes out of sequence.

Well he said the first scene of episode 1. I don't see why he would exaggerate, nor why things would be kept secret from him.

He may be confused. Actors almost never get those kinds of details (in terms of the way each episode is being laid out). But it's possible. Even if that's the case, he simply says that the scene is one of his favourites, very hard to determine what the scene might contain or even if it involves his plotline (although most likely he's talking about something he did).

He may be confused. Actors almost never get those kinds of details (in terms of the way each episode is being laid out). But it's possible. Even if that's the case, he simply says that the scene is one of his favourites, very hard to determine what the scene might contain or even if it involves his plotline (although most likely he's talking about something he did).

True, it's not concrete, but I would certainly see it as a hint that we'll be seeing the battle. He sounded pretty enthusiastic about it and there aren't really any other "wow" scenes that would fit for episode 1.

I would be overjoyed if they showed a great Battle of the Fist scene to open the season. I'm just wary of it actually happening considering the history of the way the show has approached these types of encounters in the past and the fact that there hasn't been any leaks about the shooting of a scene like that itself (which would be a big deal involving a number of extras on location in Iceland). Those are typically the types of shots that end up having details divulged or picked up by WIC.net.

But I'll hold out hope.

I would be overjoyed if they showed a great Battle of the Fist scene to open the season. I'm just wary of it actually happening considering the history of the way the show has approached these types of encounters in the past and the fact that there hasn't been any leaks about the shooting of a scene like that itself (which would be a big deal involving a number of extras on location in Iceland). Those are typically the types of shots that end up having details divulged or picked up by WIC.net.

But I'll hold out hope.

The shows budget was upped in S2 and has probably been upped again for S3. Considering the fact that there's no Blackwater esque event this season, there's more flexibility to spread the money around.

I haven't really been following shooting reports so I can't comment on that, and it's not impossible that it's simply slipped under the radar (especially if a lot of the action is CGI'd.).

The shows budget was upped in S2 and has probably been upped again for S3. Considering the fact that there's no Blackwater esque event this season, there's more flexibility to spread the money around.

I haven't really been following shooting reports so I can't comment on that, and it's not impossible that it's simply slipped under the radar (especially if a lot of the action is CGI'd.).

Could be all true. I like to temper my expectations and be pleasantly surprised when they go over and above them. Makes for happier viewing.

I remember Cat's tweet about a BIG shooting day in Island, and even if it could mean giants (which I doubt the show will include), I took it as being about the battle.

Why would Cat be involved though? Although I suppose she could just be commentating. I hope we do get Giants. They would only need to appear for a scene or 2 in S3, and then in S4 they can add a little pezzaz to the battle at the Wall. And then in season 5 we can meet Wun Wun.

It's Cat Taylor (production assistant to D&D) who gives periodic reports to fans from the set, not Michelle Fairley.

From everything I've heard from interviews and hints from shooting, I think we will be seeing Giants and/or mammoths in some form this season. My guess is that we'll see them in a large cinematic shot massing together at the Wall in preparation for battle (perhaps in the final episode in S3).

It's Cat Taylor (production assistant to D&D) who gives periodic reports to fans from the set, not Michelle Fairley.

From everything I've heard from interviews and hints from shooting, I think we will be seeing Giants and/or mammoths in some form this season. My guess is that we'll see them in a large cinematic shot massing together at the Wall in preparation for battle (perhaps in the final episode in S3).

Ah my mistake lol :)

I think if we do get giants it'll be fairly early on in S3 just to introduce them, then maybe at the end like you say. Then in S4 we can get loads of awesome giant fighting.

Arya tearing apart the Mountain's men as Nymeria would be amazing, that's one of my favorite chapters of the entire series.

Davos on his rock would be dope too.

I think they'll end the ep with the Fist survivors, I just don't think they'll show the battle, what a budget crippling first ep THAT would be.

Arya tearing apart the Mountain's men as Nymeria would be amazing, that's one of my favorite chapters of the entire series.

Davos on his rock would be dope too.

I think they'll end the ep with the Fist survivors, I just don't think they'll show the battle, what a budget crippling first ep THAT would be.

I don't see budget as an issue. The budget is going to be the same, if not larger than it was in S2 that's for sure, but now there's no major battle like Blackwater to eat up the budget.

The cliffhanger in S1 was the birth of the dragons and they didn't go to Dany in the first scene of S2 (they opened with Joffrey's nameday celebration). There is nothing stopping them from going back to Sam's story at any point in episode 1.

And even if they go back to Sam in the first scene, the question is about how much of the actual battle they will show. There is already an out for them to skip ahead to the retreat since Sam was not actually on the Fist at the end of S2 so if we're going to pick up with him, they could just as easily have it be while Sam is running away in the chaos. For those fans who just assume that they will depict a big battle just because of what we saw in the S2 finale, you are ignoring the way the show has historically depicted battles and also how the book (in Sam's POV) gave them an out to skip the battle and focus on the retreat. I'm not saying that they won't show anything but understand that it's in no way a given.

The cliffhanger in S1 was the birth of the dragons and they didn't go to Dany in the first scene of S2 (they opened with Joffrey's nameday celebration). There is nothing stopping them from going back to Sam's story at any point in episode 1.

And even if they go back to Sam in the first scene, the question is about how much of the actual battle they will show. There is already an out for them to skip ahead to the retreat since Sam was not actually on the Fist at the end of S2 so if we're going to pick up with him, they could just as easily have it be while Sam is running away in the chaos. For those fans who just assume that they will depict a big battle just because of what we saw in the S2 finale, you are ignoring the way the show has historically depicted battles and also how the book (in Sam's POV) gave them an out to skip the battle and focus on the retreat. I'm not saying that they won't show anything but understand that it's in no way a given.

Well personally I'm not saying that it's a given, just that it would be an incredibly cheap, scummy move to pull. Obviously the show tends to cop out on the battles due to budget, but most of the battles aren't being teased for a year before D+D cops out on them. Having the impending battle as a cliffhanger makes things quite different. If they weren't prepared to go through with the battle at the fist they shouldn't have made it the season finale, plain and simple.

I do think that they should show the battle as well, just wary if they will. And if they do, I'm also wondering to what degree they will show the battle, I can't imagine it would be a long drawn out affair. It would be only fair that we get a sense of the NW being overwhelmed though and Mormont desperately calling for the retreat.

The birth of the dragons is a different kind of cliffhanger. It doesn't have direct consequences. The dragons aren't going to do anything so soon. The march of the WW, on the other hand, does have direct consequences. They are about to attack the Fist, and were already spotted. It's like having some scene of Blackwater as a cliffhanger, with the next episode starting on another place with other characters for some minutes and then going back to the battle. It'd look like the battle was fought for several days.

Archived