Should I read the Flashman Novels?

Arch-MaesterPhilip

It depends on what you like. The history and style can be dry depending on taste -- but if you love historical fiction, and you enjoy a good anti-hero, then Flashman is your kind of series.

Well I love history and dry humor. And I remember seeing Royal Flash when I was a kid and I loved it. I had no idea it was based on a book until two days ago.

Well I love history and dry humor. And I remember seeing Royal Flash when I was a kid and I loved it. I had no idea it was based on a book until two days ago.

The humor in it can be dry, but a lot of it is dark -- something I have enjoyed.

The series basically follows the career of the bully from Tom Brown's Schooldays, and his various adventures in the British military during the nineteenth century. The protagonist is a very much an anti-hero - Flashman is cowardly, lecherous arsehole who nevertheless always gets out of tight spots through sheer luck (he's not stupid either). Think a first-person memoir written by a luckier Theon Greyjoy and you wouldn't be far wrong.

The first book (the best one) opens with his expulsion from Rugby School, and from there you follow him to the First Anglo-Afghan War in 1841. Historical fiction laced with very dark humour.

Other books follow him to various other settings: the Indian Mutiny, Custers Last Stand, and so on. The author died before writing about Flashman's American Civil War adventures, which was a real shame.

I had never heard of these until reading Caphiaus Cain novels, where I have been told took a bit of inspiration from the series.

I am interested, but also a bit intimidated by my lack of knowledge of British history in the time period.

I had never heard of these until reading Caphiaus Cain novels, where I have been told took a bit of inspiration from the series.

I am interested, but also a bit intimidated by my lack of knowledge of British history in the time period.

Flashy saves the British Empire at every turn... at least according to him. ;) He's an appalling, entertaining rogue and the books are witty and well-researched, so I don't think you have to know much about the era to enjoy them.

For a fact, nearly everything I know about the British Empire I learned from Flashman. Everyone should read the books, for they are awesome (though the last one is a bit iffy, alas)

I read a whole bunch of these a long time back. I thought they were very well done. Flashman is a coward, bully, and a letch, but he's great fun and despite the stories being from his point of view he is shown for what he is and frequently gets much of what he deserves. The historical side is very well done too. I was actually looking at the start of the first one 2 days ago!

An excellent series and in many ways (alongside Forrester and O'Brian) the template for most of modern military fiction. Also, extremely funny and surprisingly historically accurate: Fraser would sometimes take paintings of famous events and claim that one of any unidentified people in the picture was Flashman, and try to insert him into the story in such a way that he was important to the event without becoming the most essential figure (Flashman often operates on the fringes of the big historical event being depicted and is rarely the most important figure, or if he is then he is going incognito as a secret agent or something for the British government).

The last one is indeed a little weak, though more because it didn't fit into the timeline very well. Fraser established a very detailed timeline of Flashman's adventures early on and wrote the novels totally out of order, but frequently referred to events from as-yet-unwritten books. You can read the books in the correct, chronological order and they hang together superbly. However, the last one was not pre-planned and was inserted by Fraser a little roughly into the timeline. It works and is still fun, but just feels a little 'off' compared to the others.

I've read some Flashy; I picked up an old second-hand copy of Flashman and the Mountain of Light, and that was it, I was sold. I've also read the first Flashman, and Flashman's Lady (not so great, IMO).

Having read Cain, I can say the inspiration is obvious. I'd say Flashy is a more extreme version of Cain. He's more cowardly, and far more lecherous. Flashman's more scathing, and more humorous, IMO.

I second the thought that knowledge of the period isn't required at all.

I've read some Flashy; I picked up an old second-hand copy of Flashman and the Mountain of Light, and that was it, I was sold. I've also read the first Flashman, and Flashman's Lady (not so great, IMO).

I honestly think the best part of Flashman's Lady is the cricket bit: it really is fascinating to see how the game has changed in a century and a half.

Having read Cain, I can say the inspiration is obvious. I'd say Flashy is a more extreme version of Cain. He's more cowardly, and far more lecherous. Flashman's more scathing, and more humorous, IMO.

Agreed. Cain is more Flashman-meets-the-fourth-Blackadder (complete with Baldrick-type sidekick), and there is that deliberate sense that he's underrating his own efforts. Flashman by contrast is an unapologetic arsehole, and knows it.

Flashman is totally awesome. My favorites are Flashman's Lady for Madagascar and James Brook and ... well I forget which one but the one where he's fighting the Sihks. Mountain of Light, I think?

After those two Flashman and Flashman at the Charge and the Taiping Rebellion one are mt favorites.

Hell they're all good.

Agreed. Cain is more Flashman-meets-the-fourth-Blackadder (complete with Baldrick-type sidekick), and there is that deliberate sense that he's underrating his own efforts. Flashman by contrast is an unapologetic arsehole, and knows it.

Entirely unapologetic. :D

Amberly makes a point of it in her notes that Cain seems unwilling or unable to appreciate he has merits, like when he wonders why his unit should care if he gets killed, completely ignoring that it would be bad for morale. Or that some bigshot general should appreciate his opinion/company for other reasons except thet he's a commissar and outside the regular chain of command.

I'm pretty sure the intricacies of cricket over the decades will be lost on me.

It was lost on me, as I know next to nothing about cricket, but the cricketparts were still amusing to read. Mostly because Flashman is equally roguish in his attitude towards cricket.

Flashman is totally awesome. My favorites are Flashman's Lady for Madagascar and James Brook and ... well I forget which one but the one where he's fighting avoiding the Sihks. Mountain of Light, I think?

Fixed that ;)

Archived