Moments of Foreshadowing 2

Ice Turtle

In The Sworn Sword, Ser Eustace Osgrey tells the tale of "the Little Lion", who defended the Reach against King Lancel of the Rock. I wonder if this story contains hints as to a future clash between Tyrion and Lancel? Tyrion explicitly calls himself a "little lion" (and in TSS, Bennis flat-out asks Ser Eustace if the "little lion" was a dwarf); King Lancel supposedly "cut [the Little Lion] near in half", and Tyrion is of course called "Halfman" by the mountain clans. The battle told of in TSS was between two "lions" (the golden lion and the chequy), and both Lancel and Tyrion are "lions" of Lannister. King Lancel dies when the Little Lion finds a gap in his armor (beneath the arm) and stabs him with a dagger. Tyrion, due to his size, is better with a dagger than a sword (and we saw him arming himself with a dirk when he joined the Second Sons). Perhaps this is a hint that Tyrion will be the one to kill Lancel?

Well if the names weren't so important, golden lion can be Tywin, and the weak spot the Broken arm of Dorne, referring to Dorne and Oberyn who took Tyrion's case in trial.

I'm really surprised that I haven't seen this here.

I just noticed during a reread a part in GoT where Arya thinks how Sansa is better than her at everything, except riding a horse and managing a household. "Sansa had never had much of a head for figures. If she did marry Prince Joff, Arya hoped for his sake that they had a good steward." FF to Alayne Stone, illegitimate daughter of the Master of Coin.

"My father went south once, to answer the summons of a king. He never came home again."

"A different time," Maester Luwin said. "A different king."

A different king all right, Rickard was killed by Aerys II and Ned is killed by who Tyrion described as Aerys III.

I was rereading GOT when a dream of Jon hit me as a foreshadowing. This dream takes place right after Jon took his vow as a member of NW.

" Last night he had dreamed the winterfell dream again. He was wandering the empty castle, searching for his father, descending into the crypts. Only this time the dream had gone further than before. In the dark he'd heard the scrape of stone on stone. When he turned he saw that the vaults were opening, one after the other. As the dead kings came stumbling from their cold black graves....."

This might mean Jon have to wake the dead king to fight against the Other. And also in all through GOT jon kept dreaming about the crypt searching for his father, i believe he will find that information in Lyanna's grave, it might possibly be a Targaryen cloak which Rhaegar gave to her on the wedding.

There's an idea I've tossed around/seen tossed around about the ultimate battle mirroring Ragnorak in Norse mythology, when slain heroes rise from Valhalla to fight. There's a lot of resurrection imagery in the story — people rising from crypts, being resurrected as wights, resurrected by fire magic, etc. — such that I think the part about Starks rising from crypts might not be that crazy.

From A Clash of Kings Catelyn 4:

"Within, the seven walls were cracked and crooked. God is one, Septon Osmynd had taught her when she was a girl, with seven aspects, as the sept is a single building, with seven walls. The wealthy septs of the cities had statues of the Seven and an altar to each. In Winterfell, Septon Chayle hung carved masks from each wall. Here Catelyn found only rough charcoal drawings."

"Catelyn studied the faces. The Father was bearded, as ever. The Mother smiled, loving and protective. The Warrior had his sword sketched in beneath his face, the Smith his hammer. The Maid was beautiful, the Crone wizened and wise."

"Flickering torchlight danced across the walls, making the faces seem half-alive, twisting them, changing them. The statues in the great septs of the cities wore the faces the stonemasons had given them, but these charcoal scratchings were so crude they might be anyone. The Father’s face made her think of her own father, dying in his bed at Riverrun. The Warrior was Renly and Stannis, Robb and Robert, Jaime Lannister and Jon Snow. She even glimpsed Arya in those lines, just for an instant. Then a gust of wind through the door made the torch sputter, and the semblance was gone, washed away in orange glare."

I was wondering about two particular conversation one between tyrion and "aegon" where he talks about how he could win Dany over and mentions a scenario where dany and aegon could meet as equals and it seemed to me that it sounds a bit like a foreshadowing for how Jon would get dany's support if she were to find the truth about his parents. Another conversation involving supposedly aegons destiny or path seemed to instantly remind me of Jon during the epilogue between varys and Kevan lannister and even more so with the ending about daggers. Could the talk with varys and Kevan represent the actual vision Mel saw of Jon snow and more so are these conversations more or less GRRM giving more hints at Aegon not being the true heir with these conversations representing a lot what was going on with Jon him being the real heir while aegon a blackfyre?

I don't like the idea of Jon as king or him ending up with dany it gave me knots in my stomach when I read that conversation between tyrion and aegon but the ending certainly gave me hope for Jon’s survival and supported in my mind the R+L=J theory.

does anyone else see any signifance in these conversations?

I was wondering about two particular conversation one between tyrion and "aegon" where he talks about how he could win Dany over and mentions a scenario where dany and aegon could meet as equals and it seemed to me that it sounds a bit like a foreshadowing for how Jon would get dany's support if she were to find the truth about his parents. Another conversation involving supposedly aegons destiny or path seemed to instantly remind me of Jon during the epilogue between varys and Kevan lannister and even more so with the ending about daggers. Could the talk with varys and Kevan represent the actual vision Mel saw of Jon snow and more so are these conversations more or less GRRM giving more hints at Aegon not being the true heir with these conversations representing a lot what was going on with Jon him being the real heir while aegon a blackfyre?

I don't like the idea of Jon as king or him ending up with dany it gave me knots in my stomach when I read that conversation between tyrion and aegon but the ending certainly gave me hope for Jon’s survival and supported in my mind the R+L=J theory.

does anyone else see any signifance in these conversations?

I agree that Vary's endorsement of Aegon fits Jon (and Dany for that matter) a lot better - especially the part about "knowing what it's like to be hungry, to be hunted, to be afraid" and "knowing that kingship is no right but a duty, that you have to put the people first", because let's face it, compared to Jon and Dany, Aegon had a pretty sheltered upbringing and unlike Jon and Dany he did not have to make any tough choices and sacrifces for the greater good yet.

I would classify that as dramatic irony rather than forshadowing though. To me, it illustrates that Varys is full of sh*t when he thinks he can socially engineer the perfect leader so that all the turmoil and strife necessary to install him will be ultimately worth it, which is why I suspect that Vary's plan will fail, whether Aegon is a legit Targ or not. (I sincerely hope that the moral of the story won't boil down to "It's all about the right bloodline" either).

Doesn't have to mean that Jon or Dany will end up on the Throne though. Martin went on record saying that a good person doesn't always make a good ruler, and Jon and Dany have been learning that for a while - in the end, maybe they won't even want the throne?

In AGOT, Sam mentions one thing his father did to try and make him brave:

"One time," Sam confided, his voice dropping from a whisper, "two men came to the castle, warlocks from Qarth with white skin and blue lips. They slaughtered a bull aurochs and made me bathe in the hot blood, but it didn't make me brave as they'd promised. I got sick and retched."

What is Ser Alliser's nickname for Grenn? Aurochs. In ASOS, Grenn and Small Paul attack the Other, a creature with "bone-white hands" and "pale blue blood". Small Paul is killed, meaning that if Sam didn't do something to help, Grenn ("Aurochs") would surely have died, and that's when Sam finds it in him to stab the Other. Then, of course, Sam retches. Hot blood and a slaughtered bull aurochs can't make Sam brave, but Sam can be brave to save an "aurochs", said bravery symbolized by the (presumably cold) blood of an Other. :)

Littlefinger's eyes are described as grey-green.

When Arya comes to Braavos, she senses that Braavos is a grey city in a green sea.

Also, Braavos is all stone.

Does it tell about Littlefinger ? And..... I find some similarity between Krishna in Mahabharata and LF in Ice and Fire.

I know it sounds crackpot, but .... can LF be Him of Many Faces ?

"Jon was walking past the armory, feeling the brief chill of a light snowfall melting on his face. Although his mind was focused on his task, he couldn't shake the feeling that he was the offspring of Lyanna Stark and Rheagar Targaryen."

ASoS Chapter 28

Archived