The main character of A song of ice and fire.

Redtide6

If GRRM ever intended for there to be a main character of the series, who do you think it will be ?

Obviously everyone thought it would Eddard and house Stark in book 1, but thats probably out the window.

Jon ? Tyrion ? Daenerys ?

I have said it before: Jon, Tyrion, Dany. The three heads of the dragon. All of their mothers died during childbirth. Add in the story of Azor Ahai, Lightbringer, and Nissa Nissa and my interpretation that it is childbirth and you have the three heads of the dragon.

edited for spelling.

• 2 weeks later...

I have said it before: Jon, Tyrion, Dany. The three heads of the dragon. All of their mothers died during childbirth. Add in the story of Azor Ahai, Lightbringer, and Nissa Nissa and my interpretation that it is childbirth and you have the three heads of the dragon.

edited for spelling.

do you mean they will rule together or are they going to be the last standing. cant see a targ, a lannister and a bastard of the north ruling together

If GRRM ever intended for there to be a main character of the series, who do you think it will be ?

Obviously everyone thought it would Eddard and house Stark in book 1, but thats probably out the window.

Jon ? Tyrion ? Daenerys ?

Hmmm, Daenerys is the fire, not sure who the ice is but Sansa will be defienatly be playing a large role. Nice profile pic BTW

do you mean they will rule together or are they going to be the last standing. cant see a targ, a lannister and a bastard of the north ruling together

I don't know if any of them will rule, but I do think they are the main characters of ASOIAF and that the story revolves around them.

This is what makes this story so enticing. So many different view points. Each with their own flaws. Just when you think you have something figured out, boy were you wrong. I have just finished ASoS myself, and I will narrow it down to two IMO, Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen.

I am sure that can all change once I begin AFfC.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, Daenerys is the fire, not sure who the ice is but Sansa will be defienatly be playing a large role. Nice profile pic BTW

Thanks. it would be awesome if Sansa and LF start like a major faction against someone like Dany in the future. But i still dont trust LF...

I think GRRM will play it like a good old-fashioned thriller, i.e. leads you to believe the killer is so-and-so, then another so-and-so, but in the end it's someone completely unexpected

So while the main focus is directed towards Jon, Tyrion and Dany, I think the eventual winner will be someone else. Maybe Sansa, maybe Sam, maybe Arya, maybe one of the Greyjoys, maybe Bran, maybe Rickon, maybe there won't even be a winner!!?

• 4 weeks later...

There isn't one. Simple as that.

Each character has a role they play as the story develops. GRRM said himself that there is no "hero" in the books. I think that is one of the things that makes these books so captivating.

I think the question that should be asked is who will have the most influence in the unfolding of the plot?

Archived