how many seasons will GoT go on for?

Ned of Winterfell

no, they weren't 400 pages longer, aSoS was considerably longer than the previous two, your probably got the copy which is divided into two books and your thinking its just one book. As for how many seasons, presuming it doesn't get cancelled, it could be anything from 8-10 seasons by my reckoning if GRRM does seven books, then it all depends whether the next two are long enough to merit two seasons

They will catch up with the novels on a few years, and then they will be in a bit of a hassle. Say the first five books is material enough for six seasons, that leaves GRRM four years to finish the sixth book, and if he makes that deadline, he only has a year (two if The Winds of Winter makes two seasons) to write the seventh book.

If the series runs it's full length then we're probably looking at 8-10 seasons. More realistically we can probably expect 5 or 6.

Then, isn't it better to be realistic about it and try to give a closure to the series in 7 seasons maximun? ;)

The other interesting questions would be... how many seasons SHOULD the series ideally have in your opinion? If you could choose an ideal number of seasons regardless of the ratings... I'd probably also choose around 7 seaons. I think streching it any longer would damage the story.

Then, isn't it better to be realistic about it and try to give a closure to the series in 7 seasons maximun? ;)

The other interesting questions would be... how many seasons SHOULD the series ideally have in your opinion? If you could choose an ideal number of seasons regardless of the ratings... I'd probably also choose around 7 seaons. I think streching it any longer would damage the story.

Well sure it would be better but there's simply no way that that can happen unless they completely deviate from the source material (which I don't want to happen.). Even if they move through the source material at lighting speed there's no way that season 6 will even be able to reach the end of TWOW.

The ideal amount of seasons is 8 (if there end up being seven books.) or 10 (if there ends up being eight.). I feel that's the amount of time needed to tell the story properly.

Well sure it would be better but there's simply no way that that can happen unless they completely deviate from the source material (which I don't want to happen.). Even if they move through the source material at lighting speed there's no way that season 6 will even be able to reach the end of TWOW.

Without having read TWOW it's impossible to say if season 6 can cover the whole book or not of course... But I still believe (and I've outlined how each storyline would work in other posts) that all the material we have published can be covered quite faithfully (keeping all the storylines but trimming them quite a bit) in 5 seasons.

Other than that, it depends on how the story continues in the final books. But for me, 5 seasons is enough for the material we actually have..

And yes, I want them to be realistic about the possibilities they have and try to actually finish the story in the series. Aiming for a 8-10 season series is highly unrealistic (is there any HBO show with so many seasons?)

5 after the first half of AFfC nd ADwD the non book reader will have enough, there is no light at the end of the tunnel, no small victorys of the "good guys" or better the loved characters. GRRM "bad guys" are mostly to horrible to like so, the people will expect that there will be a happy end, why fantasy and if they beloved characters only suffer they will be frustrated and abandon the show and HBO will cancel GoT

Without having read TWOW it's impossible to say if season 6 can cover the whole book or not of course... But I still believe (and I've outlined how each storyline would work in other posts) that all the material we have published can be covered quite faithfully (keeping all the storylines but trimming them quite a bit) in 5 seasons.

Other than that, it depends on how the story continues in the final books. But for me, 5 seasons is enough for the material we actually have..

And yes, I want them to be realistic about the possibilities they have and try to actually finish the story in the series. Aiming for a 8-10 season series is highly unrealistic (is there any HBO show with so many seasons?)

I realise that 8-10 seasons is almost unfeasibly optimistic but I'm just not seeing how that series can fit into less than that. I mean at first glance it seems that they could finish AFFC/ADWD by S5, with S6 for TWOW and S7 for DOS. But then you realise that both those books are probably going to be the size of SOS and that there could be an 8th book just as big on the way. If we've got three more books the size of SOS coming then quite frankly 10 seasons is going to be compressing things. The only options I can see are:

A: Just plough through the source material and try to get as far as they can.

B: Cut out subplots, simplifying things so that they can rush towards the ending.

C: Completely deviate from the books so that the story can be wrapped up quickly.

None of these are overly appealing.

My prediction would be that we'll get five seasons that will, more or less, follow closely the books and then HBO will tell the producers that the next one should be the last. So they'll make up some final season mixing the information they received from George and ideas of their own.

Aiming for a 8-10 season series is highly unrealistic (is there any HBO show with so many seasons?)

Using this handy wikipedia entry, I've calculated that the rough average of an HBO drama series is 2,5 seasons. The longest runs are Entourage (8 seasons), The Sopranos, Sex and the City, Oz (6 seasons), Big Love and The Wire (5 seasons).

My prediction would be that we'll get five seasons that will, more or less, follow closely the books and then HBO will tell the producers that the next one should be the last. So they'll make up some final season mixing the information they received from George and ideas of their own.

I also believe we only get 5 seasons, but I doubt D&D are allowed to spoiler the last books, the series just end

I would like to see 10 seasons, but it's possible HBO could cancel the series before then. I think if the series reaches the point where it needs to continue to air yet the books haven't been released prior, Martin will outline specifically what is going to happen and they'll continue the show based on Martin's designs.

Archived