Questions for GRRM - WorldCon and beyond vol. 2

kissdbyfire

1.) Are the Faceless Men ACTUALLY faceless? In other words are their true faces cut off and hung up on the walls in the basement? During the "Ugly Little Girl" chapter Arya is cut with a knife and then feels the new face being pulled over her old face, however later on she says that they "gave her back the face of Arya Stark". Was that just another way to say they removed the new face to expose the old face, taught her how to display her "Arya" face, or did they take off the new face to then put the old face back on? If the cut wasn't to remove her face was it a form of blood magic, fusing the new face to her?

(Sorry if that one is really confusing. I started a thread about it and we can't seem to reach a consensus, I figured GRRM could maybe clarify this.)

2.) In AGoT Ned is troubled to learn that Jamie Lannister is Warden in the East because that means he will eventually inherit the title of Warden of the West and effectively control half the armies of the realm. How can Jamie inherit something from his father if he is in the Kingsguard? Was this simply a mistake or are members of the Kingsguard able to inherit military titles, such as Warden of the West in Jamie's case or how Arthur Dayne was named Sword of the Morning.

3.) Is the vision that Bran sees of a tall man kissing a girl in front of the wierwood tree at Winterfell Dunk kissing one of the "she-wolves" that will be in the next D&E novella?

4.) Will Bran ever leave the cave with his own body?

5.) Did Prince Duncan the Small take the name "Prince of Dragonflies" because of the song Jenny of Oldstones, or was the song Jenny of Oldstones written for him and his Jenny?

I would like to know if it is a pure coincedence that character of Orell is named exactly like that. As we know he controls his eagle and in many slavic lanuguages word "Eagle" sounds very close to Orell:

Russian: "oryol"

Polish: "orzel"

Serbish: "orao"

Bulgarian: "orel"

Sorry if this is too girly for some, but I'd like to know GRRM's thoughts about romance in the series.

Is there a great love story of the series? If so, which couple is it (assuming we've seen them already--wouldn't ask him to spoil future couples)?

Also, is he surprised by the strange shippers? Jaime/Cersei, San/San, Nedbert (which I've always assumed was a joke, but I'll include it anyway), I assume that he put some romances in there deliberately (Jaime/Brienne, Dany/Drogo) but is he surprised by the popularity of some of the other unconventional combinations?

1.) Are the Faceless Men ACTUALLY faceless? In other words are their true faces cut off and hung up on the walls in the basement? During the "Ugly Little Girl" chapter Arya is cut with a knife and then feels the new face being pulled over her old face, however later on she says that they "gave her back the face of Arya Stark". Was that just another way to say they removed the new face to expose the old face, taught her how to display her "Arya" face, or did they take off the new face to then put the old face back on? If the cut wasn't to remove her face was it a form of blood magic, fusing the new face to her?

That's confusing , because the first time Arya sees Jaqen do it, he does not take a knife and whack his face off , it occurs like it does in episode 10 of the 2nd season.

Maybe it's an evolutionary process the FM go through, but alas, to my reading, George has an inconsistent way of describing it.

Also if you are a FM , you were born with your 'name day face' , supposedly you get to keep that.

Were we seeing Jaqen's real face?

It seems like a device one would only need to use momentarily , like a disguise , tho a very special one at that.

Timing of Catelyn's marriage to Ned:

It seems that it could have been after the Battle of the Bells, but that does not coincide with Robb's birth, admittedly this is very tenuous. But, it would be helpful to know whether it was before Ned marches off to war (to the Battle of the Bells to rescue Robert) or when Ned and Robert leave Riverrun after the wedding, which is a great deal of time after the Battle of the Bells. We know that Ned and Robert met Rhaegar and the loyalists at the Trident and from there went on to King's Landing. If there were many more battles between the Battle of the Bells and the Trident it would be interesting to know. As it stands, it doesn't seem reasonable that going from Riverrun to the Trident, and then racing to King's Landing can take more than a couple months, when moving an army.

Perhaps a better way to put it would be to ask if Ned and Robert took the army directly north to the Trident after the Battle of the Bells, or if they returned to Riverrun for Ned and Jon to marry the Tully girls. The difficulty is that Hoster was at the Battle of the Bells, and if the girls were not married would he be; but Jon's last heir is killed at the Battle of the Bells, supposedly his motive to take Lysa as wife.

When Bran asks Coldhands who he is, he replies with, "your monster, Brandon Stark". Did he mean that his name is also Brandon Stark?

Furthermore, when Bran sees a man getting his throat cut by a woman in the past through the weirwood, the text states, "Brandon Stark could taste the blood." Does this mean that the man being slayed is Brandon Stark and he could taste his own blood when his neck is slit?

Both of these clues together indicate that Coldhands is Brandon Stark.

hi George, My name is Conor.

I have always wondered. What would a modernised Westeros be like? How would Westeros industrialise? Assuming it is based loosely Medieval Europe. What would Westeros be like politically, religiously, socially in an industrial age? A Victorian Age? A Space Age?

Thank you,

Conor.

Is GRRMZTBNTRR EVER going to answer any of these questions?

Dd you read the OP? We're to discuss possible questions here, try to find the best wording for them, etc. the questions that people want to submit should be posted on the thing Ran set up (there's a link in the OP), and then we all get to vote on them. There's more to it, it's all in the OP.

Hi George another question from conor.

Are White Walkers aliens?

Also, is the solar system around the planet Essos and Westeros are on based on our colar system?

No it's just a standard 'Earth-like' alternate universe, standard issue in Fantasy these days.

It's up to the writer to tell a good story which is what GRRM is good at.

George has never said if the Westerosi or Essosi have a name for the planet they live on.

Archived