What was the point of Quentyn Martell's death?

BANEE

I actually think that happened in order to botch the Martell support for Dany. (and free up Arianne to marry Aegon) Since some people believe Dany to be dead, yep.

That that death is going to be two dropkicks to the tokar gown for Dany.

1. The Martells are going to be pissed because he died from her dragons.

2. The Martells are going to be pissed because his offer of marriage was turned down.

mmmhmm.

I once thought that Arya had died because she got hit in the back of the head with an axe.

Quentyn saw himself burning - which is pretty hard to do when your eyeballs are pus pools.

It could have just been his cloths burning, like Danys did. Arch put him out and burned his hands - Q jumped on the back of a dragon and took off.

He friends are left holding the bag for attempted Dragon theft and Reckless endangerment so when Barristan thinks it's Quentyn lying there burned to a crisp they go with it.

You have to admit, It could have happened like that. Probably didn't but at least this time I won't be as shocked as I have been before when someone "dead" popped back up.

I once thought that Arya had died because she got hit in the back of the head with an axe.

He friends are left holding the bag for attempted Dragon theft and Reckless endangerment so when Barristan thinks it's Quentyn lying there burned to a crisp they go with it.

CSI Mereen

Remember, Dany did not completely reject him - iirc she said something convoluted like 'I know what you want, not all hope is lost'..

Also, with a good PR campaign Dany can turn Q's death(if dead) into an epic heroic encounter where Q rescued the captured dragons, to save Danys hopes of returning to Westeros...

yes, a good PR campaign will result in To The Spears, To The Spears echoing though Dorne as they declare for Dany. :cool4:

Several points.

1. Dragons are dangerous. It's been shown before a few times - a fat, extremely flammable slaver here, a helpless young girl there, but never like this. We've been told this plenty of times too - but even we canny readers still have hopes for the heroic exploits of poor Quentyn. We still expect that somehow he will overcome the dragon, win the girl, save the day. We expect that even when we see him get toasted by dragonfire. "No, he can't really be dead!" we cry out in denial, very much like the naive young Sansa who still believes in standard fantasy tropes. But the fact is, if you dance with dragons, you're likely to get burned.

2. Pointing again to the likelihood that Dany will not get Dorne on her side, or at least not by some easy marriage arrangement. (Though there's still Darkstar. You know he's her type. Just imagine all the enthralling sex scenes of them you'd get to read!*)

3. I hadn't thought about the "sun setting in the east" thing in that way before. Interesting. Maybe she'll be fertile now.

*He took Dany in every way a man could take her, and several more besides. When it was done she stretched out over his sweaty body and clawed at his chest, his blood mixing with hers.

"This night has been so very sweet, my queen. And your blood is salty. Like me." Gerold was a salty Dornishman, to be sure.

"Mine is the blood of the dragon," she sighed.

"And I am Darkstar, and I am of the night."

Though there's still Darkstar. You know he's her type. Just imagine all the enthralling sex scenes of them you'd get to read!*)

I'm pretty sure Dany would want to jump Darkstars bones the minute she saw him. I love the idea of Darkstar and Daario having a duel for her love and killing each other in the process - but of course not before some great Darkstar one lines like "does your blood run blue as well?"

It's to make the Martells jump ship from Dany to (F)Aegon. It's true that it's not really Dany's fault - She told him he could ride a dragon, but she did NOT tell him to try and steal one on his own. However, the Martells are not the most reasonable bunch of people and I'm sure they'll blame the entire thing on her and flock to Aegon instead.

The tattered prince theory makes no sense at all. If Quentyn tamed Viserion, then how would the tattered prince have been burned at all, in order to be able to be switched with Quentyn?

Ummm ... there were dragons running about ...

Why is there no indication in the text that the tattered prince is even there anywhere near the dragons?

Tatters tells Quentyn, in a rather gratuitous bit of exposition, that likes to take off his tattered cloak and appear incognito.

When Quentyn invades, 4 of the windblown who accompany them are masked and anonymous. Only the names of two are known: Caggo and Merris.

They ask were Tatters is. Merris answers that Tatters is "nearby" with the force and ship that will transport the dragons.

Later, the Dornishmen express the suspicion that it was the intent of the Windblown to betray them all along. If this suspicion was correct, then what Merris told them was a lie - no ship is needed for a betrayal. But this raises the question, if Tatters was not nearby with the ship, then where was he?

Also, Quentyn is not really significant enough for GRRM to bother pulling that kind of bait-and-switch with.

The mystery, about the amount of time, pages and chapters spent on a non-entity, is not made less mysterious if he ends up pointlessly dead. At least a living Quentyn can help Dany win the battle of Meereen, and ultimately get the dragons to Westeros.

If Quentyn tamed Viserion then why is he hanging out atop a pyramid, roasting people at random, later in the book? My memory of ADWD is not rock solid, but I'm pretty sure that the two non-Drogon dragons were basically at liberty and causing destruction in Meereen after what happened with Quentyn.

It just underlines how lame Doran's plotting is. Send your second-in-line heir off halfway around the world by commercial carrier with a chest full of gold and 4 (or is it 3?) companions to persuade a princess you know nothing about to marry him because there was an agreement that the princess's brother was to marry his big sister, only the brother got himself killed. What could possibly go wrong?

If not incompetence this was such a senseless undertaking that I can only think that there was some reason Quentyn needed to die. I just can't imagine what it might be.

If Quentyn tamed Viserion then why is he hanging out atop a pyramid, roasting people at random, later in the book? My memory of ADWD is not rock solid, but I'm pretty sure that the two non-Drogon dragons were basically at liberty and causing destruction in Meereen after what happened with Quentyn.

I don't think they're causing destruction. They're flying around free and stuff. They come back to the city to eat. Barristan & co filled up a couple of fields with sheep and other animals for them. There's no mention of a rider, though.

Because chaos makes for a good story. The dragons are loose now; they are truly up for grabs.

Doran lost his sister, his brother, now his eldest son. Now, it's seriously on for him. He had been willing to take sides with Dany, but now? Doran also has his remaining son Trystane to think of, could this be the catalyst (justification) to officially end the betrothal to Myrcella, I don't know...

I don't think they're causing destruction. They're flying around free and stuff. They come back to the city to eat. Barristan & co filled up a couple of fields with sheep and other animals for them. There's no mention of a rider, though.

Didn't they destroy two pyramids full of people? That's what I remember... I suppose i should look it up...

Didn't they destroy two pyramids full of people? That's what I remember... I suppose i should look it up...

Oops, yes, they did destroy two pyramids, and started living inside them. My bad :P They don't seem to be burning things anymore though. Just flying about and eating the sheep that the city provided for them.

At the end of the last Quentyn POV, I couldn't but smirk at the chapter's title: "The Dragontamer"

I'm just trying to picture Grrm's face when he wrote that :P...

Well he had one of the dragons looking a little uncertain. Too bad there were two.

Oops, yes, they did destroy two pyramids, and started living inside them. My bad :P They don't seem to be burning things anymore though. Just flying about and eating the sheep that the city provided for them.

Not to mention the rain of dragon poop everywhere.

Before Quentyn: Daenerys has two dragons in custody, in chains.

After Quentyn: Two dragons are UP FOR GRABS.

I tend to think that this is important.

I agree this is the point of Quentyn's story line - to get the dragons out of there and also to tell some of the story of Dorne and show us part 1 of the series: Dany- Bachelorette. I thought the OP was asking about his death, not his story line. Personally I feel a bit robbed that GRRM created such a fascinating character as Oberyn only to bump him off. He could have killed Gregor and then gone back to Dorne. Tyrion could have found another way to Essos, even by some sort of exile, with his mouth. Perhaps Sarella will carry on that legacy. <sigh>

Archived