An answer to "Where do whores go?" - Tysha, Littlefinger, Tyrion

Lyanna Stark

Where do Whores Go: A Theory on Littlefinger and Tysha

Dr Pepper asked me to repost this theory since it was buried among lots of other threads. So here it is, the reworked Theory on Littlefinger and Tysha.

In AGOT, we learn about Tyrion's first wife Tysha, and how Tywin smashed Tyrion's relatively happy married life with cruelty and violence. Tyrion tells Bronn this story while in the Vale. Throughout ACOK and ASOS, Tyrion does not reflect much, if anything at all, on Tysha. It's there in the background, but not really brought to the forefront. Then in ASOS, Tyrion is married to Sansa Stark, he kills Shae and Tywin, and he ends up in Essos in ADWD, and here it changes. Suddenly, Tysha is brought up a lot. We kept being reminded about "Where whores go" and that Tyrion still views Tysha as his wife.

Enter Littlefinger. Littlefinger stole away Tyrion's wife Sansa Stark. Lord Baelish has great plans for her, which will most likely end up with LF somehow getting his hands on her himself eventually since he views her as Cat 2.0, the new and improved model, and all in his clutches. In the last chapter in AFFC, LF has arranged for Sansa to marry Harry the Heir, but for the marriage to happen he needs Sansa's old marriage to Tyrion to be removed. Littlefinger was coldly banking on Tyrion dying after Joffrey's poisoning, but Tyrion hasn't died, which means LF will need a shortcut to get Sansa's marriage annulled. LF strangely does not seem very worried about this fact. This is more than a little odd considering how severe and devout the current High Septon is. We saw how the Faith treated Cersei and Margaery, and we know that for an annulment to take place, at least one of the injured parties needs to apply for an annulment to the High Septon in person (as per "So spake Martin").

Now, we know that LF knows that Tyrion has been married before, and we also know that LF knows a surprising amount of details about the event since he tells Sansa some of them (he keeps the gang rape of Tysha quiet, but it's obvious what he is hinting at for the reader).

Littlefinger is known for using imposters, which is already lampshaded by him bringing out a fake Arya to marry the Bastard of Bolton. He cannot bring Sansa to Kings Landing, as she is accused of regicide and currently hidden away in the Vale. If he cannot bribe the High Septon (unlikely) then he needs another way to remove Sansa's marriage. So why doesn't he simply trot out Tyrion's first wife, who then swears that the evil, evil sinful Lannisters didn't annul the marriage, but just sent her on her way. The High Septon already has a very negative view of the Lannisters through our dear Cersei, so he would surely be prone to believing anything bad about them. Tyrion being a kinslaying, kingslaying dwarf probably doesn't help his cause either. Wtih Tyrion exiled, Tywin dead, Kevan murdered, Jaime lost in the Riverlands and Cersei wingclipped,
there are few, if any, Lannisters left who can put up a fight.

Hence, all LF needs to do is bring out "Tysha".

Hell, make it even worse: where do whores go? Well, to LF brothels. Maybe LF knew where the real Tysha was all the time? I don't think he needs to, but it would provide a neat answer to Tyrion's question. ;) In the end, he only really needs to know that there was a Tysha, and he needs to know enough details about the story to be able to train a believable imposter, then he's good to go.

Personally I tend to believe it will be fake Tysha due to the fake Arya lampshading. Sansa's plot armour needs to be removed if the threat from LF and Harry the Heir marriage is to become real. This will also be the clincher that will seal Sweetrobin's fate, since without Sansa being free to marry, LF needs Sweetrobin alive. However, if Sansa's marriage is annulled, Sweetrobin's days are numbered.

It resolves a lot of plot threads and makes Sansa's situation more perilous, forcing her into action. It also puts Sweetrobin in direct mortal peril from Littlefinger, who will want him to "get sicker". It would also provide some devastating news for Tyrion when he comes back to Westeros, that supposedly, Tysha still lives and still considers them married.

From a humanitarian point of view, it's far better to prioritise Sweetrobin's health than how the leadership problems in the Vale are going to pan out. Sansa will have to choose: power play, or Sweetrobin's life, I think. The conflict is made more beautiful by way of Sweetrobing being a fairly trying and rather repulsive child. It makes it the simpler choice to just let him die already, especially since he is ill too. It looks like it may be a real test of Sansa's character: which "father" will she take after? Ned Stark, or Petyr Baelish. Ned would have saved Sweetrobin if he could, because it would have been the right thing to do, while Littlefinger's stance we already know: once Sansa is free to marry again, Harry will become the new head of house Arryn and Sweetrobin will have to be sacrificed.

Note also the thematic location of the Vale, which was where Tyrion first told Bronn about Tysha. It's also worth noticing how we were made to pay attention to Tysha and her marriage to Tyrion throughout the novels. It's mentioned by LF to Sansa as early as ASOS as well, when she is about to arrive in the Vale. Hence it has already been placed within the Sansa/LF/Sweetrobin/Vale storyline more than once.

Added clarifications on assumptions made posted by butterbumps! for those who are unfamiliar with the Littlefinger/Sansa/Tyrion situation:

• It would be a great danger to Sansa to ride into Baelor's sept and annul her marriage to Tyrion. Even if the Lannisters no longer have power, there is still incredible risk in doing this, not least of which is because she would be charged as a kingslayer by the Septon.

• Since a marriage must be annulled by one of the people in the marriage itself, this casts doubt on the legality of the annulment Tywin sought, and means that one of the 3 people in question must appear before the Septon to make this official. Tysha- real or fake- seems like the most plausible person to step forward and do this. Besides, LF seems to suggest that he has an ace up his sleeve that might suggest he's produced some way to annul Sansa's marriage easily.

• Riffing off LF:s plans here: Safely in the Eyrie, Alayne can reveal herself as Sansa. As Sansa, she weds Harry the Heir, joining the power of Winterfell and the Vale, to what end for LF, only the gods know. But between the distance from KL and the fact that this reveal and marriage will bring Sansa hard power, this will protect her, so that if she becomes known as Sansa, she will have the forces and fealty to oppose those who might try to bring her down. ETA: I don't mean to imply that she's the heir to Winterfell, but just the fact that she is Sansa might bring at least the Riverlands to her cause, if not the Northmen (who are otherwise engaged at the moment).

EDIT: To throw another curve ball regarding Sweetrobin, GRRM has neither confirmed nor denied that Sweetrobin is really Jon Arryn's son, he just said something vague about DNA not being invented or some such. Sweetrobin is very small for a boy, even considering his disease perhaps, and Jon Arryn is said to have been a man of rather large stature. If Littlefinger is indeed Robert Arryn's real father, that would make the whole thing extra tragic since LF will try and murder his own son to get ahead.

Mind blown.

I don't think Sweetrobin is Petyr's son. It was implied that Jon Arryn knew she was pregnant before they married, and he probably also knew it was from LF. He probably knew he should keep an eye on her.

As for the fake Tysha, does he have any idea what she looks like? Because if Tyrion meets f!Tysha and she doesn't look anything like the real deal, he's gonna be pissed.

But Tywin annuled Tyrions marriage, I'm sure there are some documents and if not LF first has to prove that Tyrion was married to "Tysha", wich could be not easy, they were married by a drunk septon so no witnensses. I think LF just assume that Tyrion will die soon

But Tywin annuled Tyrions marriage, I'm sure there are some documents and if not LF first has to prove that Tyrion was married to "Tysha", wich could be not easy, they were married by a drunk septon so no witnensses. I think LF just assume that Tyrion will die soon

But Tywin didn't have the power for that and most likely no wish to spread the tale all over Westeros with an official trial by the High Septon - who couldn't annul the marriage at all because there was no valid reason. Both participants were willing, unmarried and the marriage was consumated.

It is far more likely that the whole affair was just swept under the rug. That would suffice - unless a devouted High Sparrow who actually believes in the Seven instead of realpolitiks sees proof for the marriage. And Tysha swearing an oath, the septon who married them, some guards who raped her, all are reliable proof and not the only one.

Tywin cannot anull a marriage, only the High Septon can do so and one of the participants will need to apply for it. There is a question about this in one of the So Spake Martin commentary, but I am unable to find it at the moment.

Further, nobody in Kings Landing knows what Tysha looks like, so the only thing LF needs is to bring forth a woman who can pass convincingly as Tysha. Granted, the High Septon may be harder to fool than Roose Bolton, but there are reasons to believe the High Septon may be partial to the non-Lannister factions in Westeros, due to Cersei's shenanigans, and Tyrion's status as a King and Kinslayer. If Lf can offer the High Septon something he wants he should also stand a better chance. As we saw with Cersei resurrecting the Faith Militant: the High Septon is extremely devout, but he also has his own agenda. If LF can play into that agenda, he stands a far better chance of having "Tysha" acknowledged as the real wife of Tyrion Lannister.

Should "Tysha" also have a child, that poses some interesting questions regarding who gets to inherit the Rock. Which btw Tywin once stated to Tyrion that he would not allow him to take any whores to the Rock...famous last words, etc.

Mind blown.

I don't think Sweetrobin is Petyr's son. It was implied that Jon Arryn knew she was pregnant before they married, and he probably also knew it was from LF. He probably knew he should keep an eye on her.

As for the fake Tysha, does he have any idea what she looks like? Because if Tyrion meets f!Tysha and she doesn't look anything like the real deal, he's gonna be pissed.

It is implied by Lysa in ASOS that Lysa and Petyr did possibly have an on - off relationship even during her marriage with Jon Arryn. We know from Cat's ASOS chapter that Lysa was extremely put out with Hoster for forcing her into a marriage with Jon Arryn (and for the forced abortion) so it's probably fair to say that Lysa was very unhappy in her marriage with Jon Arryn and may have looked for love elsewhere. We also know that LF got a position in the Vale by Jon Arryn and that he later resided in Kings Landing when Lysa also did, as the wife of the Kings Hand. Basically, LF and Lysa have been in the same location for long stretches of time before the AGOT timeline, so there would be plenty of opportunities for them to conceive Sweetrobin.

But Tywin didn't have the power for that and most likely no wish to spread the tale all over Westeros with an official trial by the High Septon - who couldn't annul the marriage at all because there was no valid reason. Both participants were willing, unmarried and the marriage was consumated.

It is far more likely that the whole affair was just swept under the rug. That would suffice - unless a devouted High Sparrow who actually believes in the Seven instead of realpolitiks sees proof for the marriage. And Tysha swearing an oath, the septon who married them, some guards who raped her, all are reliable proof and not the only one.

Tywin, the man who want to controll everything shall just sent a girl away who is married to his son, had he a problem to kil her? I heavily doubt he would take the risk that Tysha comes back one day and tell that she is married to Tyrion. I also believe that there were enough reasons that the marriage wasn't valid at first, both were underage and married without the permission of their legal guardian, the septon as drunk, there were no witnesses and she was a common girl (misalliance).

Lovely, LS!

I've never paid much attention to the Sailor's Wife, but she is brought up frequently as possibly being Tysha, with her daughter Lanna being Tyrion's son. Is she just a red herring? Is there sufficient evidence to to debunk the Sailor's Wife=Tysha theory? Does the Sailor's Wife have any importance whatsoever? Could she be one of the wives who contracted with the Faceless Men to off the insurance man?

Tywin, the man who want to controll everything shall just sent a girl away who is married to his son, had he a problem to kil her? I heavily doubt he would take the risk that Tysha comes back one day and tell that she is married to Tyrion. I also believe that there were enough reasons that the marriage wasn't valid at first, both were underage and married without the permission of their legal guardian, the septon as drunk, there were no witnesses and she was a common girl (misalliance).

You missed the part with Tywin was killed? If Tywin is no longer alive, then whatever Tywin wanted is no longer an issue. As stated upthreads, there are no Lannisters left in kings Landing who can pose a threat. Cersei is down and out, Jaime is missing, Tywin and Kevan are dead. Who is going to kick up a stink on Tyrion's behalf? Tommen?

Lovely, LS!

I've never paid much attention to the Sailor's Wife, but she is brought up frequently as possibly being Tysha, with her daughter Lanna being Tyrion's son. Is she just a red herring? Is there sufficient evidence to to debunk the Sailor's Wife=Tysha theory? Does the Sailor's Wife have any importance whatsoever? Could she be one of the wives who contracted with the Faceless Men to off the insurance man?

Possibly, although Tyrion was never a sailor so I always suspected the father to be Gerion Lannister instead. Gerion also had another bastard (Joy Hill) so we know he already slept around a bit.

Retarded.

He cant unveil a major suspect of a kingsslaying with the Lannisters still in power. Even Mace could be a possible threat with all his whining about his daughter.

If the lannisters and tyrells are removed he can show sansa to the world, and easily ask for an annulment by the High Septon, as the marriage was not consumed anyways.

Is this a comment on another thread that was misposted? Or did you just not read what it was about?

You missed the part with Tywin was killed? If Tywin is no longer alive, then whatever Tywin wanted is no longer an issue. As stated upthreads, there are no Lannisters left in kings Landing who can pose a threat. Cersei is down and out, Jaime is missing, Tywin and Kevan are dead. Who is going to kick up a stink on Tyrion's behalf? Tommen?

The Hight Septon isn't an idiot and most likely work for Varys, but even if not, LF must prove that this is really Tysha and that they were married, and he only has her word for the HS, there is no way he can manage an annuled on this way

Retarded.

He cant unveil a major suspect of a kingsslaying with the Lannisters still in power. Even Mace could be a possible threat with all his whining about his daughter.

If the lannisters and tyrells are removed he can show sansa to the world, and easily ask for an annulment by the High Septon, as the marriage was not consumed anyways.

Read this. It explains how Sansa's marriage to Tyrion can be annulled by Tysha (whether that person is a fake or not) coming forward and stating that she was Tyrion's rightful wife. Sansa wouldn't have to do anything to reveal herself at all. Sansa's marriage not being consummated is just something extra that wouldn't play into the marriage being annulled but could play into any possible future matches.

Cool theory :)

But you are wrong about that Sweetrobin is Petyr's son. He can't be.

When Petyr slept with Lysa, was before Catlyn married Ned, so if Sweetrobin is Petyr's son he should be older than all of the Stark children, and we know he is not.

Correct me if I am wrong But Jon Arryn married Lysa, knowing that she had an abortion, and trough their marriage Lysa had many miscarriages and after many atempts they finaly produced Sweetrobin.

So Sweetrobin isn't Petyr's child :)

The Hight Septon isn't an idiot and most likely work for Varys, but even if not, LF must prove that this is really Tysha and that they were married, and he only has her word for the HS, there is no way he can manage an annuled on this way

You think the High Sparrow works for Varys?? Do you have any scrap of evidence for that particular piece of crackpot theory? LF doesn't need to prove anything, that is my point. He does not need to bring Sansa, he does not need to even have the real Tysha. What he needs is a "Tysha" that is convincing enough and she will go to the High Septon and put forth her claim that she is Tyrion's rightful wife, and as bigamy is not allowed (unless you are a Targaryen), the Tysha marriage will have precedent over the Sansa marriage.

The High Sparrow is already convinced of the Lannisters being bad, after Tyrion being a kinslayer and a kingslayer and then on top of that, the Faith's dealings with Cersei. He is not inclined to believe the Lannisters. The Lannisters have no power over the High Sparrow.

Why would he have the marriage annuled if he does not want sansa to come forward????

I repeat, he cant have sansa marrying the heir of the veil (robin is too sick to ever get children) as a bastard child, and he cant unveil sansa with a lannister still beeing in power.

Once the lannisters are removed, he goes to the septon, and who cares about tyrion anymore......

Cool theory :)

But you are wrong about that Sweetrobin is Petyr's son. He can't be.

When Petyr slept with Lysa, was before Catlyn married Ned, so if Sweetrobin is Petyr's son he should be older than all of the Stark children, and we know he is not.

Correct me if I am wrong But Jon Arryn married Lysa, knowing that she had an abortion, and trough their marriage Lysa had many miscarriages and after many atempts they finaly produced Sweetrobin.

So Sweetrobin isn't Petyr's child :)

See comment about Lysa's and Petyr's off and on relationship that she hints at in ASOS. I don't have my copy of ASOS with me at the moment, but the she states that they should make another baby and that she is tired of being silent and that she means to scream.

If she is "tired of being silent", then that means she has been forced to be silent before, implying that she had to keep it a secret, implying that she had a secret affair with LF during their time in the Vale when LF had a position there, or later when Lysa resided in Kings Landing as the wife of the Kings Hand and LF was on the Small Council. People forget that Lysa wasn't always in the Vale with Sweetrobin, that was a fairly recent thing. She fled there at the beginning of AGOT. Before that, Lysa and LF would have spent a lot of time in the same locations.

Why would he have the marriage annuled if he does not want sansa to come forward????

I repeat, he cant have sansa marrying the heir of the veil (robin is too sick to ever get children) as a bastard child, and he cant unveil sansa with a lannister still beeing in power.

Once the lannisters are removed, he goes to the septon, and who cares about tyrion anymore......

Let me do it in bullet points for you to make it easier to understand:

* Cersei has already self imploded. LF says as much in Sansa's chapters in AFFC.

* LF's plan was always for Tyrion to be executed for Joffrey's murder (he got the jousting dwarves for this purpose)

* There is no reason why he should not want Sansa to come forward once the Lannisters are gone, which they are.

* If you dispute the above point, tell me, which Lannisters are still in power in Kings Landing?

* LF cannot go to the High Septon, Sansa or Tyrion need to go. Only the involved parties can apply for an anullment (this is in So Spake Martin, so the author has confirmed this)

* If Tyrion is instead a bigamist, no anullment or any other effort would be needed. The Tyrion/Sansa marriage would automatically be voided.

* Further, Sweetrobin is very ill. It is likely that LF does not want to wait too long for the Sansa/Harry marriage to take place, as Sweetrobin's health may very well deteriorate quickly. Currently, Sweetorbin is the basis for LF's power in the Vale, but should he die, he needs a choke hold on Harry, which he can get through Sansa.

* However, Sansa cannot marry Harry as Alayne since Alayne is not real. Hence she needs to be Sansa for this.

* The Tyrells will also soon be very busy with Aegon coming from the south and won't care about Tyrion's old wife, as Tyrion is exiled anyway.

If you still find it hard to grasp I suggest you reread Sansa's ASOS and AFFC chapters, which contains a lot of the useful information.

Let me put it very simple for you:

He does not need tysha for any annulment. So this whole theory is completely useless

If you cant grasp that fact i suggest you read the 5 books, and the rules about the consumation to make a marriage legal that are mentionned in all of them.

Are you even reading the OP? I'm not sure what you are missing with the OP or the books. The OP clearly states that Sansa will not have to come forward in order for her marriage to be annulled. The only person that will need to come for is a "Tysha". All "Tysha" has to do is go to the High Septon and reveal her marriage to Tyrion, citing useful facts that can be corroborated in order to add truth to her story. While this is going on, Sansa is still safely seated at the Gates of the Moon.

The OP also points out that in the books, the scions of House Lannisters have lost all power. Tywin and Kevan are dead, Cersei has been stripped of power, Tyrion is attainted and Jaime is missing. The OP also refers to the part in the books where Littlefinger reveals his plan to marry Sansa to Harry the Heir and Littlefinger's total disregard towards Sansa's current marriage to Tyrion. This strongly implies that it's something LF has already worked out (i.e. setting the Tysha plan in motion). LF has also stated quite clearly that he intends to unveil that bastard Alayne as Sansa Stark. Does this put Littlefinger in a tenuous position with the throne? Probably yes but what can the throne really do about it. Keep in mind that throughout the books, the Vale is constantly referred to as a highly strategic and defensible location with a full retinue of soldiers who have been untouched by the war. Also keep in mind that the Vale is repeatedly noted as being moved to side with the Northern cause. Unveiling Sansa gives LF great currency in the Vale. He would then be sitting in the safest position in Westeros.

Let me put it very simple for you:

He does not need tysha for any annulment. So this whole theory is completely useless

If you cant grasp that fact i suggest you read the 5 books, and the rules about the consumation to make a marriage legal that are mentionned in all of them.

Let me put it very simple to you. Without Tysha coming forward, Sansa would have to reveal herself and risk captivity.

If you can't grasp that fact, I suggest you read the five books, and the rules about consummation to make a marriage legal that is mentioned in most of them. Tyrion and Tysha's marriage was consummated, which makes it legal. Their legal marriage makes Sansa's marriage to Tyrion null and void. The only way for Sansa's marriage to be officially null and void is for a "Tysha" to come forward and reveal her previous consummated marriage to Tyrion.

Tywin, the man who thought he could do anything, knowing his boundaries? He has proven quite the opposite, and as long as he was in power and the High Septon was "trained seal who barked on command" like he was for centuries he would have been right. "Have been" the important part. Underage, drunk septon, no witnesse, commoner, that would matter to the old HS, but not the High Sparrow, and even if it did, the marriage was not properly annulled, thus very much active and legal when Tyrion married Sansa.

Lovely, LS!

No one knows. There are hints for it, but Tysha showing up in a Bravoosi brother stretches chance.

Retarded.

But with Tysha showing up, he doesn't need to show Sansa, and can marry her to Harry the Heir as Alayne Stone. The marriage would stay legal after she shows her true colors.

See comment about Lysa's and Petyr's off and on relationship that she hints at in ASOS. I don't have my copy of ASOS with me at the moment, but the she states that they should make another baby and that she is tired of being silent and that she means to scream.

If she is "tired of being silent", then that means she has been forced to be silent before, implying that she had to keep it a secret, implying that she had a secret affair with LF during their time in the Vale when LF had a position there, or later when Lysa resided in Kings Landing as the wife of the Kings Hand and LF was on the Small Council. People forget that Lysa wasn't always in the Vale with Sweetrobin, that was a fairly recent thing. She fled there at the beginning of AGOT. Before that, Lysa and LF would have spent a lot of time in the same locations.

I am still not sure about that, I would chek it tonight, i also don't have my copy of the book with me. Still I can't believe Petyr slept with Lysa in KG. As I recall the first time the had sex was some kind of accident, he thinking that she is Catlyn, may be I am wrong.... I don't believe that he slept with her willingly :D:D before they married (ohhh God marriage from hell)

But it would be cool If he kills his own son. How would he react, what he will think. Very interesting indeed.

Archived