New map of the North wih boarders between the great lords' lands

Franz95

Yesterday the user Free Northman asked in the General section if anyone was interested in drawing a detailed map of the political breakout of the North. Here is the thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/73797-spectacular-new-map-of-the-north-with-borders-between-the-great-lords-lands-completed/

The result of my work on said map was this: http://postimage.org/image/6c2qx7kuz/

And we were wondering if you agree to using this on the North wiki page.

Like Crown say it could use some polishing. I image this is because the image on which it was based was a jpg image (as opposed to a svg with layers you can assign a colour).

When reading the thread I noticed that a number of the boundaries were based on sources from the books. I am in favor of adding the map but I would like to think of a good way to add the sources about the boundaries. Perhaps in the description page of the image, but it should also be added where the image is shown.

• 2 weeks later...

Idea is excellent, execution not so much. There are too many compression artifacts in the color blocks.

A good way to produce a map like this is to use an existing topographical map and simply indicate the boundaries, making sure you label geographical boundaries (like rivers) clearly.

For the picture label you can simply say "based on ADwD." Then the actual references can be spelled out in the article.

But again, it's a great idea. I was always hazy on who these people were and where they lived.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Nice work! I've always wondered where each of the Stark bannermen lived within the North, now it's much clearer in my head! Thanks!

It's awesome for personal reference, but, as many have said before, it doesn't quite look like wiki material, needs some photoshop love, some "prettying up" if you will ;)

Some of the darker colors and rough contrasts make some things a bit hard to read :unsure:

I'm no PS expert, but if anyone has the time to produce a nice map using this source, I'm sure it would be an awesome addition to the wiki :thumbsup:

I really appreciate the job done with this :D

The biggest flaw in this design is that we don't know the precise borders. I'd leave out the borders and simply put the names of the houses in the vicinity of their strongholds (like this, though there's a bit of speculation there). There probably aren't hard and fast boundaries anyway. In addition, there's some errors on the map: we know that House Locke controls Oldcastle and that Ramsgate is likely controlled by another noble house. In addition, ADWD adds the Glover-sworn houses in the Wolfswood. Also, the location of Castle Cerwyn is from the TV map and I believe isn't completely compatible with the book description (it's iffy if you could ride that distance in a day).

The biggest flaw in this design is that we don't know the precise borders. I'd leave out the borders and simply put the names of the houses in the vicinity of their strongholds (like this, though there's a bit of speculation there). There probably aren't hard and fast boundaries anyway. In addition, there's some errors on the map: we know that House Locke controls Oldcastle and that Ramsgate is likely controlled by another noble house. In addition, ADWD adds the Glover-sworn houses in the Wolfswood. Also, the location of Castle Cerwyn is from the TV map and I believe isn't completely compatible with the book description (it's iffy if you could ride that distance in a day).

Now that I see this other map, I think that until George provides us with more accurate info regarding the boundaries of the Northmen territories (if there are hard boundaries at all) Until then I think this more vague map is a better less speculative alternative :)

Archived