Haven - (Syfy - Imagine Spoilers)

Horus Ex Machina

I don't know if anyone on here has seen this show yet, but if you haven't you should give it a try. I just went through the first two seasons in the past week and they were great. I mentioned another thread that ABC's Once Upon a Time has a lot of similar plot points to this show, but the feel and flow of the story line closer resembles a cross between Heroes and Lost. It's a real good show which probably could have survived on a bigger network. Syfy hasn't had a lot of mainstream success since Battlestar Galactica but I truly believe that had this show been on one of the networks it would be creating a lot more buzz.

Me too. I honestly didn't pick the similarities between Haven and OUaT I watch both. I think you're right. But I also feel they are different enough that a person could like one and not the other.

I bought the first season of Haven and I'm waiting for season 2 to come down in price a little before I own that.

So season 3 will premiere 21st September. Excellent. I thought we had a longer wait.

Me too. I honestly didn't pick the similarities between Haven and OUaT I watch both. I think you're right. But I also feel they are different enough that a person could like one and not the other.
I bought the first season of Haven and I'm waiting for season 2 to come down in price a little before I own that.
Oh yeah. The feel and tone of the two shows are different enough that you don't initially pick up on it unless you start looking for them. For me it was the initial similarity between the two lead actresses. I actually began wondering if they were related. Then I started noticing the other things as the season wore on.

But as you noted, they're applied in different ways. Haven's unfolds in a similar way to shows like Lost or X-files. And the way that each person's abilities unfold and are dealt with kinda reminds me a bit of Heroes. Once Upon a Time is a bit more straightforward in that it doesn't really try to compel you with the layered story as much. Even the the flashback elements which otherwise could be thought as indicative of Lost; however it doesn't use those to create more layers. Rather it's more conventional storytelling, much like it's name suggests.

So season 3 will premiere 21st September. Excellent. I thought we had a longer wait.

I really think that Syfy should take a cue from USA and start scheduling shows like this around the summer and winter programming windows to increase it's visibility.

They already have three preview videos up so it looks like alot of character movement between the three leads. Considering that the third video has "Agent Howard" telling Audrey to stop remembering and the last episode is titled "Thanks for the Memories" I think she may end up remembering everything from her past incarnations. I don't know what to make of those interesting little crop signs in the first one though.

Oh and it was a bit of a kick to see Edge try out his acting chops as Dwight last season. He was surprisingly good, then again pro wrestlers should be as much as they're required to get over on the microphone with crowds.

If anyone wants to check this show out, Blackcat509 & fannypeters532 have, between them, uploaded the entire first two seasons to Youtube. Check them out while they last. I imagine that Syfy may be temporarily overlooking this to attract new viewers. Who knows. But there's a free, and risk-free, way to view the show for awhile. I don't know why they're not on Hulu already.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8fTmc20PPyA

First episode was pretty damn good. For a show that I just started watching a few weeks ago I'm incredibly invested in this. Best show Syfy's had in years. Mystery deepens with the Colorado Kid apparently still alive somehow and the brothers hiding something about it. One of Audrey's past incarnations apparently knows that he was gone but not where he is. And now there's "the Hunter" they got to worry about.

Anyone else see this? Post up.

• 3 weeks later...

Only just saw the season 3 premiere. Wow what a start. It had the feeling of - hitting the ground running.

Firstly YAY Dwight!

Also I'm glad to see Duke still working along with Nathan and Audrey.

Personal opinion. Nathan should back up off Duke. Or he'll have a self fulfilling prophecy on his hands. There is only so long a person can defend themselves against accusations of untrustworthy and bad - The one always suspected of being behind everything. Before you just go. "Fu^% it!

You asked for it. Here it is."

I like Duke. He has the kind of sense of humour I can relate to. As opposed to Nathan. who doesn't have a sense of humour. At least not as far as I can tell.

This episode definitely had the Stephen King vibe going on. At least I was feeling it.

So again. We are left with more questions.

4 more days and ep2 is on... For me

Is anybody else disappointed with the weekly mysteries in season 3 so far? I like that we are finally getting somewhere with the Audrey/Lucy thing, but the rest of the Troubles seem to be getting more and more far fetched (if that's even possible).

S3Ep2 (Sorry I'm waiting for it to come on TV so I know I'm behind a lot of you)

Was that really a resolution to the hunter question? And yet more questions now than answers.

I thought it was going to be Zombie troubles this ep. So I was kinda surprised with what it turned out to be. Not sure it makes sense that they should all have been affected or how it was tied up. Still nice change.

Not sure what to make of the shrink. I'm sure her trouble will be interesting.

Why the hell is Nathan so angry. It's really starting to tick me off. His behaviour is so disproportionate to how Duke treats him.

Th

Is anybody else disappointed with the weekly mysteries in season 3 so far? I like that we are finally getting somewhere with the Audrey/Lucy thing, but the rest of the Troubles seem to be getting more and more far fetched (if that's even possible).

This was a bit of a worry for me after the first episode. They had the big fake-out of a season preview that led me to believe that the crop circles might have been tied to the main cannon.

It reminds me of the first few troubles of season one before they started to work those stories in better. For the most part, the week-to-week problems are more of a side story to the main arc which is more interesting. The one which I did like alot was the Chistmas episode of season two which highlighted how alone Audrey is in the town. And the beginning of Season two with Audrey One were some of my favorites as well. I want to see more cannon-central episodes and I had hoped that Season Three would start off the way that Season Two did; heavy on cannon and then dovetailing into more day-to-day stuff and then finishing pretty strong.

It's still interesting, and I tend to watch the episodes in bunches so I get a bit more overall in short periods of time, but for each episode there isn't enough story movement so far. I could be off.

I do like the new detective. One of the things that made the first season more interesting was Audrey's outsider status and her learning to fit in. She's now too much of an insider to fit into these types of storylines.

• 3 weeks later...

The season has gotten pretty intriguing. Alot of revelations over the past few weeks. The Colorado Kid is Audrey's son. I'm willing to bet that one of the brothers is the father. Sarah may have had a relationship with both of them which is why neither of them knows which is the father. My only concern is WHY this is important. It's obvious that Audrey is troubled, perhaps tied to the origins of the troubles, so the Colorado Kid likely is going to inherit or already has inherited her trouble.

Tommy and the Bolt Gun Killer are apparently the same, but I'm thinking that he's not the "real" Tommy. I believe that the real Tommy is dead, buried by the shapeshifting BGK on the first episode that Tommy appears. Remember that Tommy is surprised by someone and is later shown burying him. So that mystery's solved, but why was Tommy after this barn and is that where Audrey goes every 27 years? Is it like the Dharma Initiative, are this a part of an experiment or something?

aaaaaarrrrrhh Started reading your post and huge spoiler. Not your fault I have only Just seen the halloween episode. and I already knew you are way ahead of me.. I didn't read the rest of your post sorry. I will come back When I'm caught up. But I'm pretty commited to supporting the show through my cable subscription and dvd sales. So it may take a while.

Oh how I wish I could unread that.. Oh well.

Jorah mormont as a house FTW

The season has gotten pretty intriguing. Alot of revelations over the past few weeks. The Colorado Kid is Audrey's son. I'm willing to bet that one of the brothers is the father. Sarah may have had a relationship with both of them which is why neither of them knows which is the father. My only concern is WHY this is important. It's obvious that Audrey is troubled, perhaps tied to the origins of the troubles, so the Colorado Kid likely is going to inherit or already has inherited her trouble.

I think she has something to do with how the troubles started in the first place.i have theory Haven was ordinary town and then something happened like they burned a witch or something and she cursed half of the city that were responsible and they started having troubles.Audrey was maybe the one who acused her in the first place so she is bound to repeat her storyline and watch how her town suffers over and over again. Or something like that.It's crackpot theory anyways.I just think her repeating her life and loosing her memory is some kind of punishment.

Tommy and the Bolt Gun Killer are apparently the same, but I'm thinking that he's not the "real" Tommy. I believe that the real Tommy is dead, buried by the shapeshifting BGK on the first episode that Tommy appears. Remember that Tommy is surprised by someone and is later shown burying him. So that mystery's solved, but why was Tommy after this barn and is that where Audrey goes every 27 years? Is it like the Dharma Initiative, are this a part of an experiment or something?

Wow I didn't even think Tommy was just the replacement.Good one.I like this theory. It makes sense.

Barn reminds me more of Twin peaks. If she enters and midget shows up...

Why the hell is Nathan so angry. It's really starting to tick me off. His behaviour is so disproportionate to how Duke treats him.

He's just jealous. They're clearly building up a love... quintet (a double love triangle?), and now everyone is in love with everyone.

aaaaaarrrrrhh Started reading your post and huge spoiler. Not your fault I have only Just seen the halloween episode. and I already knew you are way ahead of me.. I didn't read the rest of your post sorry. I will come back When I'm caught up. But I'm pretty commited to supporting the show through my cable subscription and dvd sales. So it may take a while.

Oh how I wish I could unread that.. Oh well.

Jorah mormont as a house FTW

Ooh. Sorry about that bro. And yes, had you read on you would have been spoiled again. But you caught the big one. I'll put spoiler tags on my posts from now on for you. Have you thought about checking out Hulu for broadcasts. The show gets reimbursed from viewers who watch on that platform. BTW, you probably don't want to read any of the rest of this until you've seen episode 8.

I think she has something to do with how the troubles started in the first place.i have theory Haven was ordinary town and then something happened like they burned a witch or something and she cursed half of the city that were responsible and they started having troubles.Audrey was maybe the one who acused her in the first place so she is bound to repeat her storyline and watch how her town suffers over and over again. Or something like that.It's crackpot theory anyways.I just think her repeating her life and loosing her memory is some kind of punishment.

While I can understand the fact that noone living in Haven currently would have known her past her 1950s past, I find it strange that she herself hasn't yet checked the town archives (there must be some somewhere) to find out whether or not she'd been in the town before she was Sarah. Like you, I wouldn't be surprised if her personage dates back to the 1700s.

The question is whether or not the origins of the troubles is supernatural or sci-fi in nature. The UFO teaser made me jump on the latter, but with that being merely a false reality brought on by a trouble, I'm leaning towards supernatural like you. But, Agent Howard seems like the Agent X off of X-Files. He certainly gives off a more sci-fi vibe.

Wow I didn't even think Tommy was just the replacement.Good one.I like this theory. It makes sense.

Barn reminds me more of Twin peaks. If she enters and midget shows up...

I've gotta kinda break down how I come to this theory, and I have to admit, I was kinda thinking about Jaqen H'ghar when it came to me. But remember, the BGK arrived in town before Tommy came from Boston. I have to doubt that Nate would have hired Tommy without checking out his background with Boston PD. Especially since Audrey clearly turned out to not be who she thought she was. And she was hired by his father, Chief Wuornos, who knew exactly who she was. Tommy's a different case, he would have been vetted. So he was not in Haven when Audrey was kidnapped.

We also know that the BGK was once a white man with a Guard tattoo. Now we find the Guard who carried that tattoo is himself dead and now the BGK is a black cop from out of town? And thanks to Duke we now know he's troubled. So he's definitely a shapeshifter imo. I could be wrong but, something tells me that they're going to eventually find the spot where the body of the real Tommy is buried. We've also already seen a creature (not a troubled person but a creature) who could take the form of other people in this series. It even took Audrey's form but did not have the chance to kill her. So that's my reasoning. If I'm right, it will be pretty awesome.

I also get a Twin Peaks vibe from the cabin, crossed with X-Files. What's cool is that we don't really know the nature of the troubles, but I'm a bit fed up with the fact that Audrey has not taken the obvious steps of finding out how far back she has history in that town. A question for the future I guess.

He's just jealous. They're clearly building up a love... quintet (a double love triangle?), and now everyone is in love with everyone.

I agree,he's just jealous and hurt Audrey didn't tell him about her leaving and Duke new everything. It doesn't help she always takes Duke with her,she'll be taking him to the toilet soon.

While I can understand the fact that noone living in Haven currently would have known her past her 1950s past, I find it strange that she herself hasn't yet checked the town archives (there must be some somewhere) to find out whether or not she'd been in the town before she was Sarah. Like you, I wouldn't be surprised if her personage dates back to the 1700s.

It is strange,I agree. If it was me I would checked town's past the moment I found out that it was me on the photo from the 50s. I think it's because show is generally going in very slow pace (which strangely I like) and it's big part of the plot so they are feeding us spoon by spoon so they don't give up much.

The question is whether or not the origins of the troubles is supernatural or sci-fi in nature. The UFO teaser made me jump on the latter, but with that being merely a false reality brought on by a trouble, I'm leaning towards supernatural like you. But, Agent Howard seems like the Agent X off of X-Files. He certainly gives off a more sci-fi vibe.

It did start as UFO/X files kind of show. (FBI agent believing in UFOs and stuff) but what made me think of supernatural angle is the fact it's Stephen King adaptation and his Maine setting reeks of witch hunt. Also the opening credits with strange old pictures made me consider that possibility. If you look it closely it shows a lot of churches,burning people,strange trees...It reminded me of Salem witch trials.

I've gotta kinda break down how I come to this theory, and I have to admit, I was kinda thinking about Jaqen H'ghar when it came to me. But remember, the BGK arrived in town before Tommy came from Boston. I have to doubt that Nate would have hired Tommy without checking out his background with Boston PD. Especially since Audrey clearly turned out to not be who she thought she was. And she was hired by his father, Chief Wuornos, who knew exactly who she was. Tommy's a different case, he would have been vetted. So he was not in Haven when Audrey was kidnapped.

We also know that the BGK was once a white man with a Guard tattoo. Now we find the Guard who carried that tattoo is himself dead and now the BGK is a black cop from out of town? And thanks to Duke we now know he's troubled. So he's definitely a shapeshifter imo. I could be wrong but, something tells me that they're going to eventually find the spot where the body of the real Tommy is buried. We've also already seen a creature (not a troubled person but a creature) who could take the form of other people in this series. It even took Audrey's form but did not have the chance to kill her. So that's my reasoning. If I'm right, it will be pretty awesome.

Great catch,I forgot about the tattoo. I believe in your theory now. You made me a believer. :) It fits in perfectly

Regarding the theory Colorado kid is child of Audrey and one of the brothers I'm not convinced. If it was so shouldn't one of them show more emotions to her? Or to Colorado kid being alive.

Archived