Halfway through ADwD: why can't I finish this book?

Lord Kyle

yeah I really hope Feast/Dance are preludes to the shitshow that Winds will be. I despised Brienne chapters in Feast and Dany's mereen chapters in Dance. But if Winds turns out to be sick then they will be worth it. I understand the fatigue though. Gotta remember that Feast/Dance are essentally one book. If I ever do a re-read I will definitely search out that chapter listing of the two books combined and how they're supposed to be read, time-wise.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I can't relate. I found it very interesting, and I never had any difficulty in reading any of the books. I did feel a bit impatient with some of the early AFFC chapters with the new POVs, especially Damphair, wanting to get to the characters I cared about (Sansa, Arya, Jaime, Brienne, Cersei) but once I got through those early chapters, I finished it in three weeks, the same time I needed for ASOS. I never had that kind of difficulty with ADWD - in fact, while ASOS was the most exciting and best book, I was less interested in some POV chapters than the others (ASOS Bran POVs are relatively dull), while in ADWD, I found all the POVs interesting. Also, I thought Essos was a bit cartoonish in ASOS (maybe because of the abundant presence of Strong Belwas) and I felt it was much better fleshed out in ADWD.

• 9 months later...

I'm new to this group,

On a separate note I have to say I've never read anything that felt so complete and so fully imagined that I felt like this was a world one could easily live in as I have with ASoIaF. I'd never had much luck with anything in the "fantasy" realm, mainly due to how I felt about the female characters. I give GRRM a ton of credit, the man knows how to write from any perspective, anywhere, anytime!

I am not new. I keep forgetting my passwords. AlleraSarellA, have you read Tolkien, CS Lewis, Pullman?

I had a terrible time with this book. I took notes, lost interest, and then forced myself to read all the Bran chapters.

I finally slogged through the snow and mess at Winterfell and Asha reunited (sort of) with Theon. Then some silliness with a pink letter came along, and that was it.

I picked up ADwD a year later, and discovered the last two chapters were a bit vital.

Maybe my hard time slogging through was due to the difficult time the characters had in reaching destinations.

That was two years ago. I decided to read it again today. It will make a good read for a plan ride.

I'm new to this group,

On a separate note I have to say I've never read anything that felt so complete and so fully imagined that I felt like this was a world one could easily live in as I have with ASoIaF. I'd never had much luck with anything in the "fantasy" realm, mainly due to how I felt about the female characters. I give GRRM a ton of credit, the man knows how to write from any perspective, anywhere, anytime!

I am not new. I keep forgetting my passwords. AlleraSarellA, have you read Tolkien, CS Lewis, Pullman?

I had a terrible time with this book. I took notes, lost interest, and then forced myself to read all the Bran chapters.

I finally slogged through the snow and mess at Winterfell and Asha reunited (sort of) with Theon. Then some silliness with a pink letter came along, and that was it.

I picked up ADwD a year later, and discovered the last two chapters were a bit vital.

Maybe my hard time slogging through was due to the difficult time the characters had in reaching destinations.

That was two years ago. I decided to read it again today. It will make a good book for a plan ride.

Archived