Halfway through ADwD: why can't I finish this book?

Lord Kyle

I skipped some parts too. I skipped most of Bran's chapter's, because i found them boring. I read all of Tyrion's, skipped some of Jon Snow's.

HAHAHAHAHHA there are only 3 bran chapters and contains the most magic in the book. how do u dare to skip them

Just finished this titan a couple hours ago. Holy shit I can't believe it took me almost a year to read this freaking book. Overall I'd say it was good but definitely not good enough to warrant its massive length and the amount of time it took out of my god damned reading schedule.

I'm fine with however long it'll take Martin to finish TWoW because I'm pretty ASoIaF'd out right now as far as reading goes. At least I'm caught up now and can browse through the forum without fear. Still, just shit, can't believe I finished this book. It only took me a month and a half to read The Stand and that was almost 200 more pages than this thing.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like fatigue rather than anything to do with ADWD. It happens sometimes. I've been reading at a relatively breakneck pace compared to before since the new year (resolutions, yay) and it's happened to me more than once. Give yourself a break, and you'll pick it back up when you're done.

i know how you all feel. I stopped for a while after a feast for crows. I figured 2 months ago it was time to read ADWD, I told myself I'm ready for some more ASoIaF. But then now i'm still on page 170. I will get through this, I have to. One page at a time.

It's those goddamn floppy ears, I tell ya.

I think you just have to brace yourself for the pace. Re-read some of the chapters to get a feel for the temple of the Faceless Men, imagine the lavish decor and outfits at Dany's pyramid. Breathe deep the watery feculence of...

OK maybe not that last bit.

• 5 months later...

Tell you how I go about this now:

First read i used to skip characters i wasn ' t interested in entirely. As this isn ' t really a good idea (missing out on important information) what i do is read the chapter summary in the wiki and come back to the chapter later, if necessary.

Also you can always skip it until the character is coming up the next time.

Perhaps I did this the first time through. I know I read the book or parts of it, when I purchased it (right away). I think I slammed the book shut when Jon was knifed.

A few days ago, I picked it up and noticed an Epilogue. I had not read it. In fact, I had not read any of the Grif chapters. Zipped right through it this time. Almost like reading a new book. I am going to give it a few more days, and read it again -- by POV.

I understand slowing down during this book. Like some other people have been saying you just gotta power through it. Try reading a chapter every other day or something until you hit the more intense parts (yes, those parts will come). It's a pain reading Tyrions' chapters knowing how good they were in thrones-storm of swords. His POV definitely takes a hit when he's not in Westeros.

I haven't finished it, but so far I've really enjoyed this book. I agree about the Tyrion chapters not being as good as CoK-SoS, and I'm not a fan of the Bran chapters but I really enjoyed the Dany chapters. Makes the character a bit more plausible rather than someone that walks on water.

I'd have to say that I read most of it before I read most of AFFC. It's a shame it wasn't written that way.

I rarely recommend this, but in ADWD I will, skim over the turtle descriptions, the armor descriptions, the many recitings of the Red God chant,

most of the food descriptions. That will leave you with about 150 pages of good story.

I rarely recommend this, but in ADWD I will, skim over the turtle descriptions, the armor descriptions, the many recitings of the Red God chant,

most of the food descriptions. That will leave you with about 150 pages of good story.

You forgot braid nipple-twisting.

I personally think she is yet to pass beneath the shadow in Ashai. To reach west, you must go east. I even believe she might reach that continent Brandon Stark was trying to reach centuries ago. She might even find some northmen there :)That is the beauty of the books, they present you with a new world, and it would not be complete without a tour to some exotic places.

I agree. They said she could not make it through the desert, and she did. She will pass East and said into Westeros from the West.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here. Dany is fucking annoying in adwd. She's clearly an incapable leader, too soft to make the difficult decisions and she takes all the wrong counsel. I like daarhio and bariston, but it drives me crazy how she listens to the shzzzakakakah whatevers. The whole slavers bay thing sucks. Dany needs to leave to westeros or die. Really sucks that tyrion is out there. I like aegon, not sure if he's real thing, but he's not replacing favorites of the past. Not enough Jamie, not enough Arya. NOT enough Bran. Stannis blows but he's always blowed. Mainly though too many newbies i don't care about and no more staples like Aemon, Ygritte, Mance, Sam. After affc i really want to know what's going on with cersei for the first time ever, but youve got to reason through meaningless bullshit like bolton taking deepwood from asha, and too many dirtbag sellsword companies, and Dany has become the most annyoing character and all the harpy stuff is beneath asoiaf predecessors

• 1 month later...

HAHAHAHAHHA there are only 3 bran chapters and contains the most magic in the book. how do u dare to skip them

Yeah, I've been through 2 Bran chapters, went onto the wiki to find out when the next one was and was saddened to learn there was only one more.

I've found ADwD much easier going than AFfC. I'm about 300 pages through and can't stop reading, unlike it's predecessor which took me a month to finish. Tyrion's chapters in ADwD are pretty disappointing so far though.

AFfC and ADwD should not have been written. In other words, GRRM could've taken out the 5 or 6 interesting events that take place in these two books and put them in TWoW

Yeah, I too like reading the news snippets without any commentary or backstory.. -.-

I always thought ADwD was the best book in the series after ASoS. I've only read them once through at the moment so it might change.

Read through it. AFfC and ADwD are both buildups to TWoW, kind of like most of AGoT was buildup to the Wot5K.

I'm getting this feeling as well.. From what I've heard, tWoW will be long like aDwD, so a lot of big events will surely twist and turn..

Sounds like fatigue rather than anything to do with ADWD. It happens sometimes. I've been reading at a relatively breakneck pace compared to before since the new year (resolutions, yay) and it's happened to me more than once. Give yourself a break, and you'll pick it back up when you're done.

Currently, I've given my gf my copy of GoT, while I'm on the first half volume of aDwD, meaning that I have about a five book lead (counting SoS being split up into two in my versions. I read abysmally slow, while she reads moderately fast... She reads 300 pages while I read 100 tops.. So I think I'll be barely finishing the second volume of aDwD when she starts aFfC.. Basically, that's my way of overcoming fatigue.. xD

Perhaps I did this the first time through. I know I read the book or parts of it, when I purchased it (right away). I think I slammed the book shut when Jon was knifed.

A few days ago, I picked it up and noticed an Epilogue. I had not read it. In fact, I had not read any of the Grif chapters. Zipped right through it this time. Almost like reading a new book. I am going to give it a few more days, and read it again -- by POV.

Hey Jack, there's a reason why it says still reading, and halfway through at the top.. NICE GOING!

Archived