On my third reading of A Game of Thrones - amazing how much you pick up

NewJeffCT

when you pay attention to smaller details.

Just last night, was reading Mirri Maz Duur saying how she learned her trade from this place & that, and then dropped the name "Maester Marwyn" I was like, "Holy $@! - that's the Archmaester from the end of A Feast for Crows that's going to see Dany!" (you'd be even more amazed if you knew how rarely I cursed...)

And, things I had forgotten, like that Edmure was captured by Jamie in AGOT, then later rescued.

Not to mention how many times I said, "what if?"

What if Ned had followed Renly's advice and taken Renly's 100 swords and struck at Cersei to capture Joffrey, Tommen & Myrcella? (Granted, Renly rode out of town with 50 swords, including Loras... but, some could have stayed in the city). Cersei would have risked the North, plus Highgarden & the Stormlands uniting against her if she attacked Ser Loras and Renly.

Or, what if Lysa Arryn had chosen a better champion, like Lyn Corbray? Bronn is good, but I thought it pretty clear that Vardis Egan was old, slow and overmatched. Maybe good in his day, but clearly not the best knight there and well past his prime.

oh, and a ton of others, too.

Just thought I'd get some of that out there.

NewJeffCT - I hate to tell you, but you have fallen into the vortex that is ASoIaF. You will be rereading and posting like mad. You'll want to make all of your friends read the books so you can talk about them. You'll eat, sleep, and dream about Westeros. There is no help for you now. There is no cure.

Enjoy! :cheers:

NewJeffCT - I hate to tell you, but you have fallen into the vortex that is ASoIaF. You will be rereading and posting like mad. You'll want to make all of your friends read the books so you can talk about them. You'll eat, sleep, and dream about Westeros. There is no help for you now. There is no cure.

Spot on there's so much information in these books and you realise that you'll probably have to read them at least half a dozen times each and then you become obsessed. When I first read A Game of Thrones I kept wondering who had actually murdered Jon Arryn. After I read all the books I then re-read A Game of Thrones and couldn't believe that I didn't even suspect Lysa in the first place. You just pick up so much more and become addicted the more amount of times you read them.

Spot on there's so much information in these books and you realise that you'll probably have to read them at least half a dozen times each and then you become obsessed. When I first read A Game of Thrones I kept wondering who had actually murdered Jon Arryn. After I read all the books I then re-read A Game of Thrones and couldn't believe that I didn't even suspect Lysa in the first place. You just pick up so much more and become addicted the more amount of times you read them.

That might have still surprised me - I had suspected Cersei or some lackey of hers in the "will no one rid me of this troublesome Hand?" way - then profess shock & sorrow when it actually happens.

I'm also surprised at how many times Ned flashed back to Lyanna saying, "promise me Ned." My original reason for the re-read this time was to look for hints about R+L=J and the Tower of Joy flashback. But I was surprised at how many times that "promise me Ned" was in there.

And, I'm hoping to move on to the Dunk & Egg books next.

I'm sure I'll re-read the books again before Winds of Winter comes out, as I'll need to refresh my memory. (Plus, I have them all on audio book for my commute to work. I just hope Roy Dotrice can make it to the end of the series...)

Im on my first reread and i was amazed at how many characters first pop up at that damned tourney! Anguy. Thoros, Beric, a ton of others. Also all the clues about Lysa's involvement in Jon Arryn's death, clues about who really sent that assassin after Bran, Varys and Illyrio's plots regarding the Targaryens and stuff. SO MUCH THINGS!

Im on my first reread and i was amazed at how many characters first pop up at that damned tourney! Anguy. Thoros, Beric, a ton of others. Also all the clues about Lysa's involvement in Jon Arryn's death, clues about who really sent that assassin after Bran, Varys and Illyrio's plots regarding the Targaryens and stuff. SO MUCH THINGS!

Oh, that was another one - I was like "wow, Anguy was the guy with the Brotherhood when Arya first meets them..."

I'm right there with you. Re-reading for the first time, waiting for DwD to come out in paperback. (Anyone have a clue about that?)

What country you from? USA? It's out in England, but it's been split into two parts because it would have been to big to publish as one whole book in the UK.

I'm right there with you. Re-reading for the first time, waiting for DwD to come out in paperback. (Anyone have a clue about that?)

March 26th 2013 for the MMPB. It was supposed to be released last month but they pushed it back to coincide with the season premiere of the TV show (thanks HBO).

March 26th 2013 for the MMPB. It was supposed to be released last month but they pushed it back to coincide with the season premiere of the TV show (thanks HBO).

Are they going to include a chapter of Winds of Winter in the paperback? (hopefully, one we haven't read before, or one GRRM has already read to an audience)

I am eventually going to re-read the entire series both to see if I missed anything (it's a massive series with numerous POV's, so obviously I did) and also because I miss the world of Westeros. When I started the series earlier this year I was sucked in, and I was so interested in every characters dynamics and choices/consequences.

I miss Westeros :(

I'm going to re-read in a few months even though I want to now.

Speaking of dreaming of Westeros, I was in a book store today and saw a child's toy in there called "Ned's Head" and all I could think of was Ned Stark's head on a spike and not the actual toy.

(in case you were wondering - this was the toy: http://www.fundexgames.com/productDetails.php?productId=4899 )

Let me just say, fantasy is NOT my thing AT ALL!! Didn't care for LOR, never read any other fantasy. Not a Star Wars fan. None of that stuff. I only started to read these books after a friend would not leave me alone until I did. I watched the series first and liked it so agreed to read. So glad I did. I cannot tell you how quickly, completely and thoroughly this series sucked me in. I LOVE it!!! I have to bend the knee to anyone who can make me cheer for cannibalism! Whoo hoo - Frey Pie!!

I also never, ever re-read, but here I am, re-reading AGOT. I am enjoying it even more the second time around. Seeing what I missed is just amazing..."has my heart turned to stone" so many "promise me's" "the Vale maester's info to clue you in on Jon Arryn's death" and so many more. It is like reading it for the first time.

When I finish this re-read of the series, then I think I am going to do the POV re-read. I love everything about this series and cannot get enough. Although I am glad I am late to the game, otherwise I think I would have lost my mind through all these years of waiting. Just waiting for the last 2 may kill me!

• 2 weeks later...

I just started my re-read and already the first chapter left me teary eyed. The Stark men together, alive, happy...The direwolves as snuggly little babies. Robb joking and carefree. Bran riding a horse and so excited to be included in the party. Jon always polite and considerate. Ned a loving father. I love this family so much!

Of course the joy is short lived, the Lannisters are already in Winterfell and now I have about 5000 pages of misery to go through...again.

Archived