[Spoilers] Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 discussion thread

Mark Antony

I think it's more that he represses himself so much that when he does finally burst out there's a kind of wild joy mixed in with his rage.

:agree:

I think the scene of him having sex with Lucy really shows this. He seems disgusted with himself, almost as if he will start sobbing at any moment. Then, he gets a bold look and is suddenly much more aggressive with his, uh, thrusting.

He is trying to hold back so often that he feels a great amount of relief when he lets go and acts freely.

Indeed he has! He seems like a dickhead. So I'd say he's doing great. :thumbsup:

Well, He is my younger brother... I guess that I rubbed off on him some. I am planning on sitting down and watching this season in its entirety after it has aired.

Well, He is my younger brother... I guess that I rubbed off on him some. I am planning on sitting down and watching this season in its entirety after it has aired.

To be honest, some of his scenes have been my favorite all season. His story is a strong spot in what has been (IMO) a weaker season than the past two.

I'd be surprised if they offed Owen this season. They've spent some time developing him and he serves a pretty important role to the story, from multiple angles. I kind of think they're going to go the route of Margaret having his baby and passing it off for Nucky's, and Owen dying would detract from the potency of it. Even if that doesn't happen, I'd still be surprised to see him go (then again I would've said the same thing about Jimmy). I'd actually really like for Nucky to never find out about Marge and Owen, just because it would be different and unpredictable for this kind of storyline, but I doubt the writers will go that route.

I kind of think they're going to go the route of Margaret having his baby and passing it off for Nucky's, and Owen dying would detract from the potency of it.

Hasn't Margarette started using one of those contraceptive cap things?

Anyway the episode was alright, I misread Rothstein it seems, I assumed he'd realise Rossetti was gunning for the two of them and be the first to back Nucky. If Rossetti wins, Rothstein loses his main traffic route, I can't see Gyp selling to Rothstein, when him and Massaria have a distinctly shaky peace. What do you think? It just seems like a great big plot hole they're skating around to limit Nucks support, ignoring what seems like common sense to me. The others (it was nice to get them all in one room) I can understand, they're alright dealing with Rossetti perhaps. Even then the Irish and the Jews might be in for a raw deal.

The claustrophobic all-in-the-hotel theme wore thin after ten minutes, Nucky's concussed and useless. WE GET IT! Give me Van Alden! Give me Capone! Give me episodes that don't make me want to push Teddy out of a window. Why isn't Eddie getting the phone? It's his fucking job!

Rossetti wearing that hat though :ack: It wasn't even a classy hat.

In other events was strangely thrilled to see Randolph seems to have her (now limping) Bodyguard/Henchman/Lover back.

Is Harrow going to take Tommy away? Can't see where this is going exactly, what he clearly wants is to live with Julia (poor bugger, Angela was better looking) and Tommy, but how? He's not the legal guardian, and I can't see Julia down for hopping across the country.

Hmmm in retrospect that episode really annoyed me.

A few things:

- Did the Remus-scene remind some other people of Tony Soprano?

- Tommy and Harrow, give them some more good time, they deserve it.

- Steve Buscemi's acting was top-notch this episode, best I've seen this episode.

- What the hell was Chalky doing there? I suppose they're reminding us that he still lives.

- I also noticed some kind of comparison between Eddie and Gyp, both being refered to as generals, both wearing an head.

Richard continues to be awesome. I love him, and I love Tommy (minus bat-shit-crazy Gillian). Their scenes are great even if it is not connected to the main story.

Owen has set his expiration date. Nucky almost catching them was foreshadowing I think. They are getting careless and kissing with everyone so nearby. Now that he promised Margarette that he would run away with her, I think his death is inevitable.

I got real tired of them overdoing Nucky's concussion and using it as a plot device. We get it, he's in bad shape. But they used it to continually distance him from Margarette, when they are already miles apart (figuratively). I thought using it to distance him from his allies was also silly, since the whole assassination attempt and enemy-with-an-army would be enough.

I gotta say I am falling in love with the humbled Rosetti. I guess the near-death experience and the embarrassing situation he was put in after it really made him cooler. Maybe it is just because of where the story is, but I find Rosetti (who I hated early on) much more awesome now. That general thing was hilarious too.

Eddie. What can we say about Eddie? Margarette is chasing the dog while the phone is going off, and Eddie comes over with the dog in his arm and grabs the phone. Eddie is the great.

Also, Emily is adorable. This girl is a real sweetheart (or I guess girls. They got twins to get around some child labor laws I think). I can't see how anyone could get mad at her, ever. Teddy, on the other hand, is a real piece of shit. Like father, like son?

ETA: Forgot to say that I am really loving Eli this season. Every time he is present, I think he improves the scene.

- What the hell was Chalky doing there? I suppose they're reminding us that he still lives.

He's one of Nucky's district bosses. Black or not, in a crisis he should be kept up-to-date, especially since he has a lot of muscle he can throw behind Nucky.

I have to admit, I can't see Owen being long for this world. I felt differently before the episode, but now it seems like there aren't a whole lot of practical alternatives. I'd still like to see them take it somewhere more interesting, but who knows how they'll handle it at this point. I do enjoy Owen's character.

Although I agree with the sentiment that Nucky's whole concussion thing was carried on a bit too long, I still enjoyed the hell out of Buscemi's performance. I feel like whacked-out Nucky is more conducive to his acting style than regular Nucky (not that he's normally bad or anything). I'm very curious as to how they're going to handle the Gyp situation. Obviously Nucky isn't going to kill Masseria unless they really alter history significantly, but I'm also of the mind that Masseria still doesn't really take Gyp too seriously at this point. As he told him, his problems are his problems. I feel like they're somehow going to have to reconcile Nucky and Rothstein, since I just can't see them being enemies for the rest of the show's duration.

I liked how Luciano showed interest in Nucky's mention of "setting up rules" for the mobsters; nice little nod to the future. For a second I thought maybe Luciano would take his side, but I suppose that wouldn't work with Rothstein. I also have a feeling that Chalky's going to play a more prominent role next season, especially since they hinted that he might be doing something with Babettes. Perhaps Chalky could help usher in the jazz age? The timing's about right.

And yeah, I find myself liking Eli more and more with every episode. If you had told me that last season I would never have believed it, but post-jail Eli has really shown growth. And of course, I can't wait to see where they go with Harrow/Gillian. I definitely think that whole storyline will somehow dovetail with the Nucky/Gyp one in the end (I still like the idea of Gillian killing Gyp through asphyxiation). I know a lot of people think Gillian's a goner, but I could see them keeping her around. She's one of the most interesting female characters on the show, and more importantly she has potential for further involvement with the gangsterism storylines. That being said though, I wouldn't be shocked if she got offed.

Archived