Sad re-read moments

Myrish Swamp Thing

Hey, just started this thread in order to share one I just had. From Cat's POV chapter in the Whispering Wood in Thrones

Let him grow taller, she asked the gods. Let him know sixteen, and twenty and fifty. Let him grow as tall as his father, and hold his own son in arms. Please, please, please.

:crying:

How about for you?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

When Ned murders Lady.

I found the part where Ned and Catelyn meet in KL in one of Littlefinger's brothels to be very sad because I knew it would be the last time they ever saw each other.

Yes. Anything that's the last time (Starks, especially) will see each other. I have never been able to re-read the RW chapter.

Ned's pov after he is told that they found Arya and his daughter is taken to Cersei. Arya was so small and everyone accusses her, Sansa was confused and had no idea what to do, both girls were in a difficult position but thankfully Ned was there to defend them and look after them. It was so weird. I was so used to the idea of Arya being constantly in danger and Sansa surrounded by enemies that I had almost forgot that there was a time when their father protected them. Made me hate LF even more.

Two moments have made me tear up so far.

1) When Drogo gives Viserys his golden crown after his pathetic drunken display. I almost felt sorry for him, reading the way Dany lingered on his sad and hopeful smile. She had to be so strong to watch him killed before her eyes, her own brother above all else. But no dragon.

2) Ser Barristan Selmy's dismissal from the White Cloaks. His anger is palpable through the pages as he curses Joffery and the Queen for stripping him of all he has ever known. The image of him abandoning his armor as the court sits silently watching is so powerful. One of the very last true knights, in my opinion. On a side note, it makes me chuckle that we hear from several different perspectives that Ser Barristan cut down every Gold Cloak that tried to detain him as he left the city. Even at 60 he's worth more than 50 of the city watch.

• 4 weeks later...

This is only bittersweet, not as heartbreaking as some others...In the first book, when Cat totally freezes up crossing to the Eyrie and Mya has to help her apart. Same place that Sansa not only crosses herself but brings Sweetrobin across safely in book four.

After the Battle of the Blackwater, Tyrion is half-delirious, he dreams-

This time he dreamed he was at a feast, a victory feast in some great hall. He had a high seat on the dais, and men were lifting their goblets and hailing him as hero. Marillion was there, the singer who'd journeyed with them through the Moutains of the Moon. He played his woodharp and sang of the Imp's daring deeds. Even his father was smiling with approval. When the song was over, Jaime rose from his place, commanded Tyrion to kneel, and touched him first on one shoulder and then on the other with his golden sword, and he rose up a knight. Shae was waiting to embrace him. She took him by the hand, laughing and teasing, calling him her giant of Lannister.

He woke in darkness to a cold empty room.

Plus all the times Tyrion just wants some damn recognition for everything he's done. He's the most selfless character in the series, yet he never gets any credit for it. In this dream sequence, where he's mentally imagining getting all the praise he knows he deserves yet doesn't imagine in real life because he knows he'll never get it, my heart goes out to him. Poor guy.

I SHOULD NOT GET THIS SAD OVER FICTIONAL CHARACTERS.

• 2 months later...

Today while starting my first re-read of aCoK I realized how bad I felt for Maester Cressen. He basically raised Robert, Renly and Stannis after the death of their father Steffon. Since he is old and brittle he can't do the things he once could and Stannis treats him like a replaceable object after all of the compassion and love he showed Stannis. Even at his last moments he still loves Stannis even though he is forced by Selyse to wear Patchface's bucket on his head, then his final breath of life is wasted as his failed assassination attempt of Mel backfires on him.

Maester Luwin when he thinks that Bran and Rickon were killed by Theon

Dany having to smother Drogo

Catelyn's final thoughts at the RW

Arya fleeing after Syrio tells her to "run to her father", and she is running through the city seeing the dead Stark followers...scene ending with Ned's beheading. For a 9 year old to go through that gets me everytime.

the devastation of the smallfolk during the war

Archived