Sad re-read moments

Myrish Swamp Thing

Arya on the road with Yoren missing Jon. Missing everyone even Sansa.

Stannis greiving over Renly's death and remembering his offer of a peach. He said he would go to his grave thinking of Renly and his peach. Him realizing that he did love his brother and how much he would miss him.

She was no stranger to waiting, after all. Her men had always made her wait. “Watch for me, little cat,” her father would always tell her, when he rode off to court or fair or battle. And she would, standing patiently on the battlements of Riverrun as the waters of the Red Fork and the Tumblestone flowed by. He did not always come when he said he would, and days would ofttimes pass as Catelyn stood her vigil, peering out between crenels and through arrow loops until she caught a glimpse of Lord Hoster on his old brown gelding, trotting along the rivershore toward the landing. “Did you watch for me?” he’d ask when he bent to bug her. “Did you, little cat?”

"Little cat," he murmured in a voice thin and wispy and wracked by pain. "My little cat." A tremulous smile touched his face as his hand groped for hers. "I watched for you..."

:crying:

Maester Cressen blinked. Stannis, my lord, my sad sullen boy, son I never had, you must not do this, don't you know how I have cared for you, lived for you, loved you despite all? Yes, loved you, better than Robert even, or Renly, for you were the one unloved, the one who needed me most. "As you command, my lord, but... but I am hungry. Might not I have a place at your table?" At your side, I belong at your side...

:frown5:

2) Ser Barristan Selmy's dismissal from the White Cloaks. His anger is palpable through the pages as he curses Joffery and the Queen for stripping him of all he has ever known. The image of him abandoning his armor as the court sits silently watching is so powerful. One of the very last true knights, in my opinion. On a side note, it makes me chuckle that we hear from several different perspectives that Ser Barristan cut down every Gold Cloak that tried to detain him as he left the city. Even at 60 he's worth more than 50 of the city watch.

Just got to this section on a reread of A Game of Thrones. After Selmy is dismissed Sansa kneels on his discarded white cloak with his discarded white armor all around while she is making her appeal to Joffrey to spare Ned's life. Sansa is wearing a black dress (the ivory dress that Arya ruined by throwing an orange at it but dyed black). Some great imagery there.

Interestingly the Hound leaves Sansa with his white cloak when he flees KL which is an interesting parallel between the two of them (Selmy and Sandor).

Sad re-read moments for me:

- Robb and Bran holding hands and crying in Bran's room

- Ned injured and holding Jory's dead body

- Arya during Ned's execution

- Dany losing both her baby and husband

- Cat witnessing how Robb was killed before she too got killed

- Ygritte dying in Jon's arms

- At the beginning of Sansa's snowcastle

2) Ser Barristan Selmy's dismissal from the White Cloaks. His anger is palpable through the pages as he curses Joffery and the Queen for stripping him of all he has ever known. The image of him abandoning his armor as the court sits silently watching is so powerful. One of the very last true knights, in my opinion. On a side note, it makes me chuckle that we hear from several different perspectives that Ser Barristan cut down every Gold Cloak that tried to detain him as he left the city. Even at 60 he's worth more than 50 of the city watch.

Ugh, I just re-read Selmy's dismissal this morning. So freaking sad to see him get rejected after all he's done and all the years he's given to the Kingsguard. :(

Master Cressan blinked. Stannis, my lord, my sad sullen boy, son I never had, you must not do this, don't you know how I have cared for you, lived for you, loved you despite all? Yes, loved you, better than Robert even, or Renly, for you were the one unloved, the one who needed me most. Yet all he said was, "As you command, my lord, but ... I am hungry. Might I have a place at your table?" At your side, I belong at your side ...

And I will serve you to the last, my sweet lord, my poor lonely son.

His breathing was very shallow now, his voice a whisper. “Tell my son. Jorah. Tell him, take the black. My wish. Dying wish.”

Wish?” The raven cocked its head, beady black eyes shining.” Corn? the bird asked.

No corn,” said Mormont feebly. “Tell Jorah. Forgive him. My son. Please. Go.”

Jesus. Poor Cressen. Aemon hit me big time too, probably since my gramps suffers from dementia and he has spells like that a lot now.

For me a really big one is,

Theon Greyjoy had once commented that Hodor did not know much, but no one could doubt that he knew his name.

It's subtle but I literally said "OH SHIT" out loud when I first 'noticed' it and felt a little pang.

Those words - "knowing your name" - becomes the touchstone of his entire character arc later, and that particular turn of phrase gets repeated a lot in ADWD.

Between that and Walder Frey's "mayhaps" thing I'm kind of blown away by how many seemingly throw-away comments have subtle but huge relevance later.

Those words - "knowing your name" - becomes the touchstone of his entire character arc later, and that particular turn of phrase gets repeated a lot in ADWD.

Between that and Walder Frey's "mayhaps" thing I'm kind of blown away by how many seemingly throw-away comments have subtle but huge relevance later.

AHHHHHH, you must remember your name etc. Ah shit, I never clicked on that at all!

OK, I'm going to cheat here as I've not got this far in my re-read yet but it definitely deserves a mention - powerful stuff.

Special mention to Apple Martini as I've stole this from her signature (including formatting).

"I know about the promise! ... A thousand years before the Conquest, a promise was made, and oaths were sworn in the Wolf's Den before the old gods and the new. When we were sore beset and friendless, hounded from our homes and in peril for our lives, the wolves took us in and nourished us and protected us against our enemies. The city is built upon the land they gave us. In return we swore that we should always be their men. STARK men!"

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of CoK right now and I came across this passage:

And that evening, a page named Nan poured wine for Roose Bolton and Vargo Hoat as they stood on the gallery, watching the Brave Companions parade Ser Amory Lorch naked through the middle ward. Ser Amory pleaded and sobbed and clung to the legs of his captors, until Rorge pulled him loose, and Shagwell kicked him down into the bear pit.

The bear is all in black, Arya thought. Like Yoren. She filled Roose Bolton's cup, and did not spill a drop.

There are so many great parts to these books.

Archived