Purple wedding in Season 3 or Season 4?

Drowningfish2304

Most people believe that the Red Wedding will almost definitely be in Season 3, the question is really whether the Purple Wedding will be placed right at the end of Season 3 to give a satisfying conclusion to the KL storyline... or at the beginning of Season 4, so Season 4 doesn't have quite the slow start!

Another question, RW in episode 8, 9 or 10?

I actually think its gonna be in Season 3 because the show seems to be skipping the Sansa/Tyrion marriage and going straight to the stuff in The Vale. That's taking out a good chunk of the KL storyline from ASoS right there, and they know theyll probably lose viewers with the RW if they dont also kill Joffrey to make up for it...hell even reading the books were it not for the deaths of Joffrey, Tywin and Gregor and Stannis' epic entrance at The Wall towards the end I may have given up on the books myself...there was a point there were reading it just made me angry.

All signs right now seem to point to the Red Wedding being the climactic event of season three, so it appears that the Purple Wedding will be season four. I think the clincher right now is that -- as far as I know -- they haven't cast Oberyn Martell yet. He would have to be present at the PW, since he shortly after takes up Tyrion's cause as his champion.

I'd put my money on the RW taking place in episode 9, which is when the truly seismic events seem to take place in the show (e.g., Ned's execution, the Battle of the Blackwater).

All signs right now seem to point to the Red Wedding being the climactic event of season three, so it appears that the Purple Wedding will be season four. I think the clincher right now is that -- as far as I know -- they haven't cast Oberyn Martell yet. He would have to be present at the PW, since he shortly after takes up Tyrion's cause as his champion.

I'd put my money on the RW taking place in episode 9, which is when the truly seismic events seem to take place in the show (e.g., Ned's execution, the Battle of the Blackwater).

I don't think that is determinative. The Reeds by all rights were essential to Bran leaving Winterfell...they are being introduced this season once Bran has left. Because it turns out what they really were needed for was the journey and meeting at Winterfell or just after wasn't as important. Oberyn doesn't really do anything at the wedding. It would be easy to have him seek Tyrion out in the cells and have them bond there...I mean he sought him out at Casterly Rock as a child why not do it again?

This could be considered a spoiler:

There was a news post today about the Tyrion/Sansa wedding taking place in season 3, episode 8

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/09/day-73-a-big-event-in-belfast/

We already know GRRM is writing episode 7 (which seems to deal with the Queenscrown events, at least) so unless David and Dan decide to do a Godfather style wedding montage in episode 8, I'd have to think the RW will occur in episode 9 pushing the PW off to season 4 (which will deal with Tyrions trial / escape, etc)

Makes sense.

I actually think its gonna be in Season 3 because the show seems to be skipping the Sansa/Tyrion marriage...

What makes you think that? I haven't seen anything to make me think they were skipping it. Plus as the above poster stated, they even filmed the wedding this past week...so I'm thinking the RW will either be in episode 9 or 10, with the PW and it's aftermath in s4

The PW would be the perfect finale, while the RW is not. However, the information of Sansa and Tyrion marriage being in episode 8 settles the matter, IMO. The PW will be in season 4.

I'll wait to see what kind of S3 the producers will make, but if you ask me it seems a big mistake.

Quite confusing. The Gold wedding doesn't take place all that far into the books, so they're going to be stretching the material out. Obviously we'll have RW, but will it be symbolically right after GW, or wait until Episode 10 and hang off on a massive cliffhanger? And will Autumn Storms still include the leeches? So many questions!!!

I'm betting it's in S3 because:

1. Putting it in S4 means bringing back Jack Gleeson for 1 episode. It's far more economical to kill him at the end of S3.

2. Sansa's escape happens during the PW. It's far easier to keep Sophie Turner & Aiden Gillen in Belfast for all of S4 than having them split time with the Malta team. Re-shooting would be a nightmare.

3. The PW works far better narratively as the conclusion to S3. Starting S4 with the PW, followed by 7-8 episodes of buildup is to the duel is much of an emotional shift.

4. Ending with the RW would alienate a number of viewers who don't get to see Joff offed.

PW in episode 10

Yeah it is weird featuring three different weddings in the last three episodes, but I think that's exactly what we're getting. They could even have some of the characters make quips about "all these weddings"

I'm just very confident that they want to end the season on a really high note, to soften the immense blow of RW. And there is NO better way of doing that than having the last thing we see before the final credits roll be Joffrey sucking for air and dying

People across the world will be jumping off their couches, cheering

I still think that the PW is happening in season four because they haven't established the Martells, Oberyn especially. I know that his presence is not strictly necessary in terms of plot but I feel that establishing a relationship between him and Tyrion prior to the events of the PW will result in a better payoff at his trial. T/S W in episode 8, RW in episode 9, and PW in episode 10 just seems like overkill as well.

PW in episode 10

Yeah it is weird featuring three different weddings in the last three episodes, but I think that's exactly what we're getting. They could even have some of the characters make quips about "all these weddings"

I'm just very confident that they want to end the season on a really high note, to soften the immense blow of RW. And there is NO better way of doing that than having the last thing we see before the final credits roll be Joffrey sucking for air and dying

People across the world will be jumping off their couches, cheering

I still think that the PW is happening in season four because they haven't established the Martells, Oberyn especially. I know that his presence is not strictly necessary in terms of plot but I feel that establishing a relationship between him and Tyrion prior to the events of the PW will result in a better payoff at his trial. T/S W in episode 8, RW in episode 9, and PW in episode 10 just seems like overkill as well.

I agree with you in wanting the PW in episode 10, as ending on a high note would be good, and there's still plenty to happen in KL in S4 - Tyrion in captivity, Tyrion's court trial, trial-by-battle, Jaime's return and reunion with Cersei, Tyrion's escape, and they could even dig into ADWD for his journey to Pentos. I am a believer that we'll get some AFFC and ADWD in S4 because there is so much to cover in those books.

Edit: meant to say that I also wouldn't mind seeing the PW as the lead-off episode of S4. I could see D&D doing that just to make people stew over the summer... though it takes balls to risk losing viewers between seasons who get sick of the Lannisters always winning.

As to Oberyn, I think they can still establish him post-PW and have him interact w/ Tyrion by visiting his cell. He's motivated to find out more about the Lannisters' role in Elia's death and will see the Lannister who (supposedly) just king-slayed his nephew as somebody he should get to know. It would be sort of like saving the Reeds for after Bran leaves Winterfell.

Please no quips about "all these weddings". That would be extremely cheesy.

Archived