Skipping Daenerys chapters

Guess who's back

Can I just skip Daenerys chapters? It doesn't look like she will change anything in Westeros. Started hating her after she basically killed Drago and lost chance to become queen of seven kingdoms. Now I don`t care about her faith and she just bore me.

I`ve watched 2. season of Game of thrones tv series, could that be enough to know everything about her?

P.s Sorry for my bad English.. I`m reading the books in Latvian language.

Can't blame you. I found her to be very interesting in book 1, but I lost interest for her in book 2. Still I recommend you keep reading her parts. That's what I'll do. That way there won't be any confusion when I start book 3.

Also, the tv series changed and/or left out many parts from the character arcs. Another reason to try to endure her chapters :)

Many people complain about Daenerys chapters in ADWD, but I love them. I actually thought her hardest to swallow chapters were in ACOK.

With that said, I think that you really can read these books any way you want. You can read them in parts, you dont have to go in order. Obviously you and I have a different opinion on Daenerys and if she will become Queen of Seven Kingdoms or not, but I can tell you--you can surely skip her chapters if you wish to. It might be kind of interesting to read that way, and only hear about her until she makes an appearance.

This question has been asked before and people always say, Oh no you can't you can't! But you can really do anything you want. And I promise you you can leave out Daenerys chapters. You might miss some big reveals until they are mentioned by other characters, but you can always go back and read all her chapters in order at once.

Actually I would recommend this to people who don't like Daenerys, who feel her chapters break the momentum of the story. Just skip them, and go back later if you wish.

• 3 weeks later...

I still don't get it. In every still reading forum there are people wanting to skip Dany's chapters. Why would anyone want to skip any word of these fantastic books? I mean, yeah Dany's chapters can become a bit boring at times. But so are Catelyn's chapters or other POV's chapters.

I will guarantee you, somewhere in the future you are going to be sorry if you've skipped these..

I still don't get it. In every still reading forum there are people wanting to skip Dany's chapters. Why would anyone want to skip any word of these fantastic books? I mean, yeah Dany's chapters can become a bit boring at times. But so are Catelyn's chapters or other POV's chapters.

I will guarantee you, somewhere in the future you are going to be sorry if you've skipped these..

Honestly, Jon's chapters bore me to tears and I remember skipping some of them. I went back and reread them, though. I soldiered on.

• 3 weeks later...

Many people complain about Daenerys chapters in ADWD, but I love them. I actually thought her hardest to swallow chapters were in ACOK.

With that said, I think that you really can read these books any way you want. You can read them in parts, you dont have to go in order. Obviously you and I have a different opinion on Daenerys and if she will become Queen of Seven Kingdoms or not, but I can tell you--you can surely skip her chapters if you wish to. It might be kind of interesting to read that way, and only hear about her until she makes an appearance.

This question has been asked before and people always say, Oh no you can't you can't! But you can really do anything you want. And I promise you you can leave out Daenerys chapters. You might miss some big reveals until they are mentioned by other characters, but you can always go back and read all her chapters in order at once.

Actually I would recommend this to people who don't like Daenerys, who feel her chapters break the momentum of the story. Just skip them, and go back later if you wish.

I agree I adore Dany's Chapters they are my favourite in any books, they somehow make me feel free

I agree I adore Dany's Chapters they are my favourite in any books, they somehow make me feel free

I adore you!

I hear so many people complain about them I thought hard about the structure of the book to find out why. Skipping chapters of characters in the mainland would put you out of information and would be a very bad idea. But Daenerys is not on the mainland. Some characters do not even know that she exists. Others do not know if she is alive or not. And whenever something happens to Daenerys in Essos, it takes time for the rumors to reach Westeros. So if you are reading Daenerys chapters, you know how sorely out of touch with her most of the characters are.

I gave AGOT to a friend of mine who is not a big fantasy reader, or a big reader at all really. I forced her through the prologue with her rolling her eyes the whole time, and I pushed her to read the first few chapters on her own. She had so many complaints about the language, the pace, the strange names, the unlikeable characters, everything, but I really wanted her to like the books. I told her to just read the Daenerys chapters, as they are a separate story. At first she was skeptical to read that way, but by the second or third chapter she was hooked. She told me she started to read just Daenerys and skipped everything else. She loved the story and went back to give the rest a try. So for people who like the mainland story but not Daenerys I recommend the opposite approach.

So I don't mean skip them as in don't read them (though you could.) I mean read them separately as one story instead of as interruptions to the mainland story. GRRM does this for you himself by splitting AFFC and ADWD. Those two books have an overlapping time-frame but focus on different characters that are not geographically linked.

Archived