Robert Arryn grinds my gears.

Rantz

I think that Sweetrobin is still young enough to be turned around if he was given a better up-bringing.

Given that there were plans to send him on to Stannis for fostering, I think the kid would have developed an entirely separate set of psychiatric issues.

Regarding the faking-it-or-not question, I tend to think he's not faking it, but he's definitely milking it for all it's worth … and Littlefinger, being Littlefinger, is using sweetsleep as a way to both control Robert's fits and to also ensure that Robert shuffles off this mortal coil posthaste.

I would think that fostering SweetRobin with Stannis could make the kid go from bad to worse. Stannis would have no patience for such a whiny, spoiled boy; and anyone dealing with this boy has to have patience. Add the factor that Stannis inspires fear and dislike rather than feelings of liking, and SweetRobin would become more scared than he is now.

SweetRobin would have had a better chance if Ned had fostered him. (although I wonder if Theon would have bullied him when others weren't around...) I could almost see a close friendship, beginning in antagonism, between little Robert and Arya, like Colin and Mary in The Secret Garden.

As Kittykatnits noted, GRRM created the character of little Robert for a reason, in my opinion - he will be Sansa's greatest moral test. It's far easier to risk one's life to save a child of sweet and noble character than to do the same for an obnoxious brat. Still, Robert Arryn is a child, he did not ask to be spoiled rotten by his mother, then orphaned, and now poisoned. He is still young enough to be salvageable. I personally think it would make a nice, GRRM-appropriate twist to have little Robert survive and grow up to be a successful Lord of the Eyrie, either outgrowing his seizures or having them diminish and be more manageable.

I don't think SweetRobin is faking his seizures and physical weakness; but I think he might have exaggerated his tantrums in order to get extra attention or his own way. I don't think he was doing it so much after his mother's death; Robert probably had felt that Lysa was his backup as well as his enabler; she was the very powerful (in his eyes) Lady of the Eyrie. With Lysa gone, Robert seems to sense his own vulnerability and isolation; hence his reaching out to Sansa to be his new mother.

I don't think he's faking because when I had seizures they would happen spontaneously. I was walking to the mail one day and I started shaking, stuttering, and fell to the ground. I was also in school and in the middle of answering a question my speech became slurred, I had small tremors, and was unable to form coherent words for about thirty seconds. As I got older my seizures started to last longer and became more potent, so it's entirely possibly that Robert has random seizures and since he's had this disease for a while perhaps they started small and became bigger with age. Like Robert I also felt shaky, weak, and nauseous for a while after.

I totally agree. Between feeling sick almost all the time (which, has very negative on most people's characters), having no friends/normal influences and spending all the time with a crazy, and absolutely horrible (though loving) mother, poor boy had no chance. Children learn their behavior from people who surround them. Joffrey would be spending time not only with Cersei (though she'd be a major influence), he would be running around, playing, spending time with others, and on his own.

People thinking that a sick kid raised by crazy person who coddles him, doesn't set up any boundaries, gives him absolutely delusional picture of surrounding world, will then magically behave like normal kid, let alone angelic one a-la Oliver Twist, have about as much understanding of the world as poor Robin. Little kids have underdeveloped sense of empathy in general, especially ones who don't interact with other people much. When we see little Robin on his own, he just acts like spoiled kid, which is completely normal, without showing Joff's cruelty. He wants comfort, and his tantrums mostly show that he's scared and lost, and thinks that screaming will bring results same way it did before with Lysa - it is basically Pavlov's dog training at this point.

The ablism in some posts makes me weep.

Seriously, he's a sick child people-I haven't seen half as much venom against the slimy, creepy LF that poor Sweetrobin has to endure.

ETA some sense into the post.

Ablism? Holy shit, now they're trying to guilt people for not being disabled. That's about the ultimate.

Ablism? Holy shit, now they're trying to guilt people for not being disabled. That's about the ultimate.

Actually no one asks you to feel guilty for anything. Winter Knight only asks people to take into account several factors shaping SR´s behaviour, namely his grave illness and the terrible dysfunctional "education" by his parents he suffered from. Mental and Physical health is something not everybody has and when judgigng people (and especially children!) it might be useful to take this into account. Concerning SR, he is a terrible and bratty child, but in all honesty I do not believe that any other child might have turned out better given the same illness and the same environment.

They?

The evil feminazis, of course. Who else :-)

I don't think there's anything medically wrong with the poor boy that some sunlight, a stern loving hand and good education wouldn't cure. Having Lysa for a mother is bound to get anyone messed up.

GRRM has made a few characters with medical conditions - the old Reek's smell, Ser Gregor's giantism - but i don't think Sweetrobin has anything that serious.

I think his seizures are real, but that doesn't excuse his poor behaviour. That was enabled by Lysa being batshit crazy. He could be a perfectly nice, normal young man who has a physical ailment, but thanks to Lysa, he is unhealthy and a brat. I think her "mothering" made his condition worse and, will ultimately kill him.

Archived