A question about Stannis

SimonSez

His reaction would no doubt be initially hostile. And if Dany presses her claim to the throne on dynastic grounds, Stannis would fight till the end.

BUT... if Dany has by that time learned of the Others, and claims the throne not in the name of House Targaryen, but rather as a necessity for defeating the Others, I could see Stannis making a compromise of some sort.

He'll do what Robert did to Rhaeghar...

The Targaryens were overthrown, and when Viserys and Danny escaped to Essos, they lost their claim. Stannis is the rightful King, and all those who deny his Throne are usurpers, traitors and rebels. They will bend the knee or be destroyed.

He'll do what Robert did to Rhaeghar...

The Targaryens were overthrown, and when Viserys and Danny escaped to Essos, they lost their claim. Stannis is the rightful King, and all those who deny his Throne are usurpers, traitors and rebels. They will bend the knee or be destroyed.

Yeah.....Rhaegar didn't have dragons

If/when Dany shows up in Westeros with her dragons and her claim, how will (King) Stannis react?

Thoughts?

I have a crackpot theory that he'll burn Shireen.

I hope not, since Stannis is my favorite character and poor Shireen doesn't deserve that, but some instances of foreshadowing have made me suspect this theory... more on why later.

Ultimately, I don't see Stannis as being a triumphant king in the end. He's got "doomed hero" "tragic hero" "anti-hero" written all over him.

There are some heavy resemblences between him and King Richard III-- not Shakespeare's ridiculous, hunch backed caricature, but the real, intelligent, honorable, but ultimately horrendously ruthless Richard III.

Yeah.....Rhaegar didn't have dragons

You mean those monsters that burn down cities and roast people for no reason? They could burn Danny's men just as easily as they could burn Stannis'.

Aegon had dragons. But he was actually a good commander, and his dragons were trained for battle, not locked away for their whole life...

You mean those monsters that burn down cities and roast people for no reason? They could burn Danny's men just as easily as they could burn Stannis'.

Aegon had dragons. But he was actually a good commander, and his dragons were trained for battle, not locked away for their whole life...

Sorry she has Armies/Good commanders/ and Dragons :)

Besides I think Victorion is currently bringing her just what she needs to put those naughty dragons right in line.

Dany : "Fiya and Bluhd"

Stannis: "Seven hells I thought we wiped these inbreds out"

Dany: I have sacked city after city on my journey to Westeros, prepare to die

Stannis: My brother's hammer brought down your brother, My brother in law's blade brought down your father, it seems it is my turn

* unsheathes Lightbringer*

Besides I think Victorion is currently bringing her just what she needs to put those naughty dragons right in line.

You think the whole "Somebody has to die so you can control the dragon" thing isn't going to cause a nice little moral stumbling block for Dany? That's assuming the horn does what it's said to do.

Dany : "Fiya and Bluhd"

Stannis: "Seven hells I thought we wiped these inbreds out"

Dany: I have sacked city after city on my journey to Westeros, prepare to die

Stannis: My brother's hammer brought down your brother, My brother in law's blade brought down your father, it seems it is my turn

* unsheathes Lightbringer*

Dany : Dracarys.

Dany is the rightful ruler! her blood is the true blood of the dragon! Stannis is nothing but a roided out freak

On that note, we should also find the closest living descendant of harold godwinson, marry him/her to the closest living descendant of edward plantagenet III and produce the ultimate claimant to dethrone the queen of england muwhahaha.

While we're at it, lets restore the bourbons to france, hapsburgs to austria and every other pretenders in the world.

Seriously, if there is a trace of realism left in Martin's plans for the series (evidently not since the return of dragon and magic and blah blah blah), given that his initial inspiration was the war of roses, I think he should end it with whoever is the most powerful and most shrewd on the throne (who knows maybe even tommen stays on, oh irony). I really don't want a "bring magical sword dragons back, win the kingdom (dany shouts "fire and blood!" for the thousands time), and marry the princesses secret cousin nephew (but which 1? :dunno: ) to save the world" sort of thing.

Archived