Game of thrones shout outs from pop culture

TheZone

This year's Dr Who Christmas Special featured an enemy who moved around as ice crystals/snow flakes, before materialising as killer snowmen (with teeth), and all the while the worst of them was sleeping under the ice of a pond in the garden. It popped out eventually as a creature made of ice. The dialogue was peppered with multiple warnings that "Winter is Coming" and dire warnings that unless stopped the world would be gripped by winter forever. The icy lot were in the end defeated of course, and if you didn't know what was really going on it it might have seemed a touch lame and contrived, but what killed them were - salt tears.

My elder son and I kept cracking up all the way through it, much to the mystification of everybody else. You can probably still catch it on the BBC website

the other day one of the characters from the show happy endings was on Conan. He was telling a story about his wife (who is very short) getting in an argument with Heidi Klum (who is very tall)

he said: "it looked like Kevin Durant arguing with Peter Dinklage....that was a really specific reference, you have to really like the NBA and really like Game of Thrones"

I'm seeing them live at a festival next year. I wonder if I write them a nice letter I'll be able to convince them not to play anything from their last two albums...

Is it wrong that the only LP albums I like ARE their last two...?

ETA:

The Onion has had several Game of Thrones related articles: http://www.theonion....d-men-to,28183/ (I think there was one other one too, but I can't find it now with google search. It may not have mentioned GoT in the headline, but in the article itself)

Also, someone already mentioned that Jon Stewart on The Daily Show has had "Game of Drones" but he's also had "Game of Loans" in several episodes as well.

Five pages in, I find it ASTONISHING at the lack of ASOIAF related music. I will make another post later on filled with this, maybe even a thread, but there's tons of bands who have made music with lyrical/thematic connections to ASOIAF. Most notably is the band Blind Guardian, MOST of their 2010 album was about ASOIAF. (they've also made songs about loads of other fantasy novels including The Dark Tower series, all things Tolkien, Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth, the manga Berserk, etc.)

ETA[2]: Also, I wouldn't know exact details since i'm only four books into Wheel of Time, but I have a friend who told me that the author of WoT makes at least two obvious ASOIAF references and one reference to another not-ASOIAF book GRRM has written(forget what) in the later WoT books. In the same way GRRM makes a Wheel of Time reference in A Feast for Crows.

This year's Dr Who Christmas Special featured an enemy who moved around as ice crystals/snow flakes, before materialising as killer snowmen (with teeth), and all the while the worst of them was sleeping under the ice of a pond in the garden. It popped out eventually as a creature made of ice. The dialogue was peppered with multiple warnings that "Winter is Coming" and dire warnings that unless stopped the world would be gripped by winter forever. The icy lot were in the end defeated of course, and if you didn't know what was really going on it it might have seemed a touch lame and contrived, but what killed them were - salt tears.

I know. It was weird. Guess the Dr. Who writers were being a bit cheeky ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught this last night, TBS reality-competition called "King of The Nerds" (it was a re-run of the premiere):

1. They named the Throne in the "Nerdvana" mansion is called the Throne of Games which the week's champion gets to sit. It is design to look like the Iron Throne.

2. One of the contestants did say the line "You win or your die" describing their competitive attitude on the show.

3. They were picking teams, and when the player Name Brandon got pick, he shouted out "What is Dead May Never Die".

This Simpsons line made me crack up recently. The episode was made before the TV show made the franchise as famous as it is now, so even though the first few books had been published by then it seems like the "reference" was a total accident.

Not exactly a show, but here's the ESPN intro for the UEFA 2012:

Ireland is shown rising up in the background but the camera never zooms in on it.

I guess we are as important and relevant as Pentos.

Archived