Rickon Theories?

lewisdy9093

I am just curious to what people are thinking about Rickon. I mean there has to be something there right? The characters are aging so surely he will have some chapters soon. He had the same dreams Bran did at some points and he also got along with the Freys which could implicate something more sinister in his future.

Anyone got thoughts on Rickon?

He is the Wild Wolf reborn. He will be the tool that restores House Stark to at the very least Wardens of the North and at the very most Kings in the North.

But as for now, he is a five year old boy. He himself wont do much, it'll be what others do with him that'll be important.

I think he will be too young to develop into a character whose personality/desires/ability are a real factor. He's more like Jeyne Poole - an important piece but not a player.

He's the centerpiece for the Manderley's plan of Stark revival. Should Stannis mean to use Rickon the same way he intended to use Jon, I don't see Rickon being willing or able to refuse becoming Lord Stark.

Rickon is the Stark who really gets screwed by the entire situation. Even Bran throws fits after Robb leaves but at least he understands the whats, whys, and wherefores of the departure of his entire family (barring Rickon, of course). Rickon doesn't understand why everyone is leaving him and we get to see his frustration reflected in Shaggy's behavior. I think Rickon's real big role is going to be with this arc with Davos and the Manderlys that began in ADWD: a pawn because he happens to be the last living Stark that can be traced. Nobody can trace Bran to the CotF's lair beyond the Wall, I assume Littlefinger covered his tracks very well in taking Sansa and hiding her in plain sight as Alayne, and Arya went through a series of identities before ending up in Braavos.

Plus, the Rickon/Shaggy combo is awesome. I mean, c'mon- Shaggy fights a unicorn!

Hope this makes sense- I'm having a little trouble trying to verbalize my thoughts about Rickon.

I think he will be too young to develop into a character whose personality/desires/ability are a real factor. He's more like Jeyne Poole - an important piece but not a player.

He's the centerpiece for the Manderley's plan of Stark revival. Should Stannis mean to use Rickon the same way he intended to use Jon, I don't see Rickon being willing or able to refuse becoming Lord Stark.

:agree:

I have long thought GRRM's original plan of the five year gap was devised with Rickon in mind.

Like the idea of Rickon growing up to be the Wild Wolf reborn -- for him to resemble Brandon as much as Arya resembles Lyanna.

He's still mostly a blank slate, and he's seemingly served no purpose so far and thus been utterly superfluous, the "spare" part of the "heir and a spare" equation. So it's hard to shake the idea that he must end up being part of something big, or else why would he exist at all?

I am 99.9999% certain he will be the one to continue the family bloodline and to be Lord Of Winterfell at series' end and expect the final book's epilogue to be from his POV, all grown up and ruling in his own right, with a litter of little wolf babies tugging at his heels, asking/needing to learn the ways of the first men, the family history, and the significance of the words Winter Is Coming. Rickon himself will have to learn these things himself first, somehow, of course, which bodes well for the older siblings surviving so they can fill him in on what Dad was like.

I like the theory that Rickard Stark's wife was Skagosi and that Rickon will return with an army. We know nothing about many female Starks, but we do know that the Stark family has been reduced to no more than 7 or 8 members (the kids minus Robb, POSSIBLY Benjen, and mayhaps a secret Stark in Aegon/Darkstar). I think Skagos could explain where the rest of the family is (ie: the Skagosi). When Rickon gets there he's going to be somebody of importance (because of his heritage) and the family will take care of him by providing him with a gnarly army to get retribution.

On the other hand Rickon could just fade away from the story because here's too young to do anything. Skagos seems really fitting for Rickon since he's so wild, and if he's Skagosi, he has even more reason to dwell there.

Also, Shaggydog's a boss.

` I can't wait to see more of Rickon. Even his name is tough, not like Dickon. The Starks are down to two possible male heirs, not counting Jon, and Bran may not come back. Even if he does he won't be able to have children, so Rickon becomes even more inportant since he'll be producing the new heirs to Winterfell.

ETA:

What is this unicorn story I keep reading about? I can't recall it. Can someone tell me what book I can find it in so I may read it for myself?

Frankly, I'm very keen to see how Rickon's story turns out and how he joins the fold again.

I have the impression that the Skagosi society is a lot like the wildlings', perhaps a little more structured. It wouldn't surprise me if that society has a reverence for wargs, or would show a reverence for a warg if they encountered one. Apart from the collective symbolism, I believe that each of the Stark children has a reason, within his or her own arc, for being a warg. That would count for Rickon, too. Within his storyline, there has to be some outcome or effect of him being a warg. That might be manifested simply, just by virtue of him having Shaggydog and Shaggydog being used a "proof" that Rickon is who they say he is. But I also think it'd be interesting if Rickon being a warg has, behind the scenes, been shaping his time on Skagos and shaping the Skagosi's response to him. If, for instance, Davos arrives to find that Rickon has been recognized as someone special, then that could be an untapped resource for the northern cause.

And just like there's a reason that Rickon, as an individual, is a warg, there's also a reason that GRRM had him go to Skagos specifically. Skagos itself is important, too.

ETA:

What is this unicorn story I keep reading about? I can't recall it. Can someone tell me what book I can find it in so I may read it for myself?

The unicorn is one of the big clues that Rickon is actually on Skagos. Sam (I think?) mentions them in Feast, in one of the Skagos info drops (unicorns, island, wild, cannibals, etc.). In Dance, Jon has a warg dream where he sees Shaggydog fighting a hairy one-horned goat. The one-horned goat is the "unicorn."

I am just curious to what people are thinking about Rickon. I mean there has to be something there right? The characters are aging so surely he will have some chapters soon. He had the same dreams Bran did at some points and he also got along with the Freys which could implicate something more sinister in his future.

Anyone got thoughts on Rickon?

i think rickon will ride the dragon hatched from black egg.

i mean rickons pet is shaggydog and its black. may be GRRM is giving some hint here.

The unicorn is one of the big clues that Rickon is actually on Skagos. Sam (I think?) mentions them in Feast, in one of the Skagos info drops (unicorns, island, wild, cannibals, etc.). In Dance, Jon has a warg dream where he sees Shaggydog fighting a hairy one-horned goat. The one-horned goat is the "unicorn."

Thanks for the info. I'm doing a reread and will look out for that when I get to ADwD.

All I know about Rickon is he is going to be turn out being one messed up person. First 4-5 years of his life brought up by a loving family, and lived a life of luxury. Only to have all of it taken away from him, without having any idea what is going on. He's going through a critical stage of mental development and is not living in the proper circumstances to mature normally.

This is why George RR says he has so much trouble writing for Bran. Bran, in a way is going through something similar (he doesn't fully understand the world yet) but he is put on a massive quest, and put through extreme tragedy (half his family being murdered, becoming a cripple). He is only still trying to assimilate and understand the world around him, and all he is seeing are terrible things, making it very hard to write a stream of consciousness for.

Archived