Call me crazy but...

Arya Nymeria Stark

So I figured something out recently. How many of you know the lyrics to "Part of Me" by Katy Perry? Well, this morning I heard the song and decided to really focus on the lyrics, and I realized it could be about the series as a whole or about aspects of the series. SO... Here's my analysis, line by line. (PLEASEEE bare with me and let me know what you think. This took a LOT of thinking and re-writing, ALTHOUGH I couldn't think of anything for a few lines, so I hope y'all could help me with them.)

I'm wide awake

The realization that the peace that was achieved after Robert's Rebellion is over

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

Yeah, I was in the dark

Possibly the belief that the peace would last forever

I was falling hard

Possibly Ned Stark learning about Robert Baratheon's bastards and Cersei Lannister's affair with Jaime

With an open heart

(not sure, what do y'all think?)

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

How did I read the stars so wrong?

(not sure, what do y'all think?)

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

And now it's clear to me

That everything you see

Ain't always what it seems

(all 3 lines) The day Ned arrived in King's Landing, Littlefinger warned him not to trust anybody. Then he started looking into what Jon Arryn knew to try to pick up where he left off. He learned about (one of) Robert's bastards, learned that Joffrey, Mercella and Tommen are the product of incest between Cersei and Jaime, and after Robert died was executed because of what he knew.

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

Yeah, I was dreaming for so long

The peace after Robert's Rebellion lasted about 15 years (I'm guessing). Given Robert's lack of caring for what goes on among the Small Council and the fact that he'd rather drink or hunt, someone in King's Landing must've suspected that the peace would not last forever.

[Pre-Chorus]

I wish I knew then

What I know now

(both lines) Possibly the knowledge that Rhaegar didn't kidnap and rape Lyanna, that they were truly in love. If that knowledge got out, the war never would've happened and Rhaegar, his wife and kids wouldn't have died, and the Mad King might still be in power. HOWEVER, Ned also had a reason to go after the Mad King, cuz he killed Ned's father and brother, but only Aerys might've died instead of everyone who ended up going to war. Without the theory of Lyanna's rape, the (at the time) rebels wouldn't have had a reason to kill Rhaegar and wipe out all Targaryens.

Wouldn't dive in

Wouldn't bow down

(both lines) Daenerys, Viserys and anyone who left Westeros during/after Robert's Rebellion refused to bow down to Robert Baratheon. Now, between Stannis Baratheon, the Greyjoys, the Lannisters and Aegon Targaryen, each refuses to bow down to any of the other three.

Gravity hurts

You made it so sweet

'Til I woke up on

On the concrete

(all 4 lines) When he first arrived at King's Landing, he met Littlefinger, who warned him right away not to trust anybody. It took time but eventually Ned did learn about Robert's bastards and the fact that his children are really the product of incest between Cersei and Jaime. Like I said, this all took time. Nothing happened overnight. Then, when Robert died, Joffrey (almost) immediately declared himself king of the Seven Kingdoms, yet Stannis staked his claim to the Iron Throne, attempting to reveal to all Lords of Westeros the truth of Joffrey, Mercella and Tommen's parentage.

[Chorus]

Falling from cloud 9

Crashing from the high

I'm letting go tonight

Yeah, I'm falling from cloud 9

(all 4 lines) Beginning to come to the realization that the peace that resulted from Robert's Rebellion is now over

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

Not losing any sleep

I picked up every piece

And landed on my feet

(all 3 lines) Depending on who you think might be "pulling the strings" in the War of the Five Kings, this segment could be a reference to either Varys or Littlefinger. It's impossible to tell what their next moves will be or what their ultimate motives are, but one or borh of them might be in control of everything that's happening.

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

Need nothing to complete myself, no

Could be another reference to Varys or Littlefinger, in the sense that as far as we know, neither has relatives or close friends to mourn throughout the war, so neither has lost anyone/anything important to him.

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

Yeah, I am born again

Out of the lion's den

(Not sure, what do y'all think?)

I don't have to pretend

Could refer to either Varys or Littlefinger, no longer pretending to be on one side or the other, but revealing his true motives

And it's too late

Someone realizing it's too late to go back and change what already happened to prevent what is happening now

The story's over now, the end

Could refer to the entire song being Varys/Littlefinger's reflections on the war after everything is over

[Pre-Chorus]

I wish I knew then

What I know now

Wouldn't dive in

Wouldn't bow down

Gravity hurts

You made it so sweet

'Til I woke up on

On the concrete

(all lines, same as first pre-chorus)

[Chorus]

Falling from cloud 9 (it was out of the blue)

I'm crashing from the high

I'm letting go tonight (yeah, I'm letting you go)

I'm falling from cloud 9

(all lines, same as first chorus)

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

Thunder rumbling

The sound of war drums at the battle fronts

Castles crumbling

The major families falling apart (ie. Stark: Ned, Catelyn and Robb are dead, Jon's at the Wall, Sansa's in the Vale, Arya's in Braavos, Bran's north of the Wall, and Rickon's heading south with Osha...)

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

I am trying to hold on

Could be a reference either to Cersei trying to keep her title as Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, or to Arya searching for a way to keep her identity as Arya Stark while still learning the ways of the Faceless Men... This one could have many possibilities.

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

God knows that I tried

Seeing the bright side

(both lines, not sure... what do y'all think?)

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

But I'm not blind anymore...

Could be a reference either to Arya in Braavos learning to use her other senses while blind, OR to Bran learning to control his warging abilities (ie. warging into a weirwood tree and learning to see farther back in time...)

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

[Chorus]

Yeah, I'm falling from cloud 9 (it was out of the blue)

I'm crashing from the high

You know I'm letting go tonight (yeah, I'm letting you go)

I'm falling from cloud 9

(same as first chorus)

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

I'm wide awake

(same as first line)

PLUS I also discovered a couple of other songs that could be about the series.

1. Jordin Sparks' song, "Battlefield" could be a reference to the relationship between Rhaegar Targ and Lyanna Stark being a trigger for Robert's Rebellion

2. Angels & Airwaves' song, "The War" could be about the Battle on the Blackwater.

What do y'all think? Do me (and any other music/ASOIAF addict out there) a favor and listen to the songs you know and love, and try thinking about the lyrics while keeping (aspects of) the series in mind, and post in this thread if YOU think a song you know could be about the series!

Melisandre puts me in mind of Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine by Country Joe and the Fish

Sweet lady of death wants me to die

So she can come sit by my bedside and sigh

And wipe away the tears from all my friends eyes

Then softly she will explain

Just exactly who was to blame

For causing me to go insane

And finally blow out my brain,

Maybe not a precise parallel, though.

Call to the Warrior by Affiance

Get up off the ground

And save yourself

We are prisoners to regret