Titancon Reports

Fragile Bird

I had a look on Google Earth to see how far we would have walked down that track if we'd kept going, in another mile or so it looks like we'd be on the outskirts of Randalstown, which might have been another hint to us that we weren't where were meant to be.

even then someone might have just gone "not much further now" and we would still have followed...

Heya all. Thought I'd chime in as well.

What a fantastic time at Titancon! Wow. Highlights for me included:

- meeting awesome people

- discovering the lush countryside of a country I grew up in (the scenery was breath-taking, and I visited parts of the country I had never been to before. It really did a happy number on me and gave me a deeper appreciation of the place).

- the joy of jousts

- swordplay, hog roasts and fair songs sung

- the singing on the bus

Saturday was also great. I had a great time at the panels I attended, and I'm really looking forward to next year!

(...Are we certain this isn't a monthly event? Cos, y'know...)

Reading all these reports and am so, so jealous that I missed out on the Feast & the Coach Tour - I soooooo would have brought that rendition of of Bohemian Rhapsody up to a level that was at least recognisable.

I don't think there's enough mead in the world for the rest of us to have handled that ;)

Great to see so many pics and that everyone enjoyed themselves :) Only took the one pic the entire weekend myself (quite a nice seascape though!). Apologies to anyone that couldn't hear me during the obsidian knapping, I'll be louder next time, with more shiny things to have passed round and actually demonstrate some bits and pieces with!

Saturday morning started with the chaos that was the breakfast cue in Day’s although I was in front of most of the coach tour people and thus avoided a really long weight, the layout of the breakfast could have been better. Like putting the cups before the tea/coffee machine. And maybe arranging things so everyone was not held up by those waiting for their toast. However did have a wonderful breakfast with JonPot, Targh and Peadar. Then gave a happy Miltos a hug and badge while waiting for the lift (elevator US).

Arrived at the Europa and was immediately sent to help set up the Art show. Spent most of that cutting up Velcro sticky strips and pealing them, while admiring the pretty pictures. Note of next year, Sticky dots needed to indicate for sale / not for sale or sold artwork. Finished the set up just in time to completely miss the opening ceremony. I’m sure it was fantastic, and full of vital information I then completely lacked, but that just made everything more fun.

Was there for the first Pannel, the nature of power, and acquired a few eyeballs and an ear from Hampster of Doom. Who very helpfully told me I could fill the eyeballs with water and squirt Peader or someone with them. Then hung around the main entrance with JonPot and Co for a bit before doing a water/drink run.

Did a quick walk around the dealers room, I was unable to find Jill the HBO dealer from Eastercon who was going to bring me a Dragon Egg. I’m glad I never paid in advance for that. Then minded the table of one of the Artists (sorry can’t remember your name) while she went for refreshments. Sorry I never sold anything for you. Didn’t even manage to drum up any passing interest. You did have some fantastic tree pictures. If I didn’t have a husband I probably would have bought something from you.

Back down to the main room for some fabulous water dancing with Miltos and Jo, Can’t believe I missed this last year. (if you ever get a chance watch one of these) then assisted with the drawing out of names for the round table discussions and Jewellery workshops. If only the plan hadn’t gone to pot the week before this might not have been quiet so chaotic. I did however manage to get a Dothraki Jewellery workshop out of it. Where I made something that started out as an Armband but evolved, and then latter ended up super glued to the desk in my hotel room.

After making the Dothraki thing it was back to the hotel room to sew on the remaining body parts and fill and test the eyeballs. I should point out it was at this point real blood was used in the construction of the Pie. Then Back at the Con just intime for something else (I can’t remember what) met up with Pod and we went to get some food. Lost Pod at the entrance to the Europa as he was dragged away to help with something upstairs.

I managed to grab some food (and kinda Prayed I didn’t win dinner with Miltos, this is because I was eating dinner and was in the masquerade) just before being grabbed by the Goat to help out set up the raffle prizes just before the start of the opening ceremony, and then be on hand to Boss the winners to decide quickly and keep the line moving. It was a lovely opening ceremony, but you really could have done with a bigger stage considering the amount of volunteers crammed on it. :thumbsup:

This seems like a good point to say another great big thank you to all the committee members for all your hard work and effort during the Convention and the last 12 months. Despite the hiccups with Guest having to pull out last min, this personally felt a much smoother convention than last year (which was also wonderful) Thank you to all the Guests and Panellists who made this convention so special. Thank you to all the volunteers who helped make this con a success and I hope to see you all back next year. And thank you to all the members who attended and provided a warm and welcoming ambiance, I hope to see you all again, and maybe next year you will feel able join the army of volunteers it truly is a great way to be part of this.

After the Closing ceremony I grabbed white rabbit (I think it was you) and recruited her to help me transport the Pie from the hotel and then assist while wrapping the base frame in foil then arranging the “pastry” I think I was ready far too early, I really needed to pee from about 40 mins before the show started. There were some really fabulous costumes and if I’m honest I don’t think my Pie deserved its second place award. I think I speak for all of us when I say we had great fun. And Peadar was just amazing; you had me in giggling fits squeaking behind the stage. I do want to apologise to anyone who has not read the books. Peadar changed the name costume despite me saying “do not mention anything Frey” I had assumed with all the Worldcon T’s that where bound to be worn by many my “Rat Cook Pie” would have been safe. Obviously if you’ve been spoiled it’s all Pods fault.

After the fabulous masquerade my Pie suffered an Art shaped dent when I received the best hug all weekend. Then each of my “hands” received some high fives. Somehow I think Art really really liked the gruesomeness of my costume. Yes I did give him a badge, and a finger and a flayed hand.

After de-constructing the pie and removing all body pieces and squirting out the last of the eye juice on unsuspected Con-goers I sat at watched the first part of the film – my review, It was very artistic and pity, but it did not hold my attention, after not long (I think) I went to find all the other film escapees and found most of them at the top in the spoiler discussion. Not going to into details here, but I think I speak for everyone there, It was a great discussion circle, but not long enough – since the film had not finished when we quit the room. Then yes we all had fun during the party and I managed to give away the remaining body parts. – Which was probably a good thing since my bag was searched at the airport on the way home.

Sunday review and Pics to come….

Speaking only for myself: it was great to see you there again! And lovely to meet Joanna. I'm cursing the fact that I missed Bohemian Rhapsody. Bloody Pod!

Great to see you, too. Next time, I say we just throw down with axes at the ebook panel ;)

Big thanks to everyone involved in TitanCon, it was a blast.

The panels on the Saturday were brilliant with some great bits, such as Ian talking about his favorite weapons: staffs.

The coach tour on Sunday was amazing. Being in charge of finding shooting locations in Northern Ireland really sounds like an easy job, every place is more gorgeous than the previous one (at least when the weather is nice).

Glad you all seem to have had a good time! After all the hard work and the worry about Sunday's weather (didn't want to feel responsible again for more cases of pneumonia!!) it was great that it all turned out well.

Hopefully I'll have the energy and the brilliant volunteers for next year!

Great meeting you all!

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo thats wonderful great fantastic news. I take it this means you don't now want the money I was planning on lining your pockets with next Saturday?

Thankyou all again for your efforts, hardwork and sweat. we all love you committee folks. Oh and when can I sign up for next years Con? :whip:

Serriously we love you. and don't forget you can ask anything of us. (we my not do as you ask, but you can ask)

Just posted an update on the TitanCon website.

A brief report on the weekend with some photos and videos, some good news about how we did financially, a huge long list of thank you's and a feedback form so you can tell us what you thought about TitanCon 2012.

So, so happy to hear this! :cheers: Will buy you a congratulatory drink next time I see you, and I'll make a note to get my supporting membership a little earlier next year.

Archived