Rickon, the Black Wolf.

OberynBlackfyre

I know this theory has been chewed on a couple of times but I just wanted to add my theory to the list to see what people thought.

Well firstly, I do feel that Shaggy Dog tells a lot about who Rickon is, was, and who he will become. So far the direwolves have matched their owners in a pretty dead on kind of manner.

Not only the pain he has experienced, but the fact that where he is going is said to have some of the most ruthless Northmen I feel is a huge tell of how he will be brought up.

Truly, I do not think that he will be evil or anything, but he certainly will not be forgiving. I think this is needed because he will, in the end, be The Lord of Winterfell. I believe he will come back, a risky military leader like Robb, and become the Black Wolf, leading an army that utterly destroys any southron lord or people who wronged his family.

I really believe this will happen only because I know GRRM said he is not going to do the five year leap, but that still does not mean he won't cover more than five years with the next two books. Like chapters have shown, the story being told at hand could be what happens in a day, or what happens over a period of months, depending on what character he is telling the POV from.

I don't think the story will cover enough time to see Rickon become of age. Perhaps seated on his father's seat as the young lord of Winterfell, but I doubt highly that he will be at the helm of a war host before the series is done.

The "North vs South" war has been done. GRRM isn't going to beat that horse again.

Lil Aegon's war and the White Walkers will be the focus of the remainder of the series. There simply won't be enough time to see Rickon develop into a Wild Robb type character.

I know this theory has been chewed on a couple of times but I just wanted to add my theory to the list to see what people thought.

Well firstly, I do feel that Shaggy Dog tells a lot about who Rickon is, was, and who he will become. So far the direwolves have matched their owners in a pretty dead on kind of manner.

Not only the pain he has experienced, but the fact that where he is going is said to have some of the most ruthless Northmen I feel is a huge tell of how he will be brought up.

Truly, I do not think that he will be evil or anything, but he certainly will not be forgiving. I think this is needed because he will, in the end, be The Lord of Winterfell. I believe he will come back, a risky military leader like Robb, and become the Black Wolf, leading an army that utterly destroys any southron lord or people who wronged his family.

I really believe this will happen only because I know GRRM said he is not going to do the five year leap, but that still does not mean he won't cover more than five years with the next two books. Like chapters have shown, the story being told at hand could be what happens in a day, or what happens over a period of months, depending on what character he is telling the POV from.

I don't think he will be an evil Stark, but he will be a more savage one, much like a wildling or the old Kings of Winter.

Osha became his replacement mother figure, after his family basically all rode away and disappeared. He was too young to truly understand the situation, and sometimes even forgot his dead relatives were dead, so I think all he will remember is suddenly everyone he knew leaving or dying, then watching his home burn, then briefly having no family except for Bran and the wolves, and finally having some wildling stranger for his new mother. He's of an age where he will still imprint very much of his surroundings (situation and caretakers) - he will turn out more like them, wild and wolfish.

I don't think he will be an evil Stark, but he will be a more savage one, much like a wildling or the old Kings of Winter.

Osha became his replacement mother figure, after his family basically all rode away and disappeared. He was too young to truly understand the situation, and sometimes even forgot his dead relatives were dead, so I think all he will remember is suddenly everyone he knew leaving or dying, then watching his home burn, then briefly having no family except for Bran and the wolves, and finally having some wildling stranger for his new mother. He's of an age where he will still imprint very much of his surroundings (situation and caretakers) - he will turn out more like them, wild and wolfish.

Exactly, I believe that he will be more savage, but not evil

Definitely not evil. He clearly has a trace of his uncle Brandon's personality, which might make him more hot headed, but I can't see him being the type to take pleasure in hurting people the way Joff and Ramsey do. He will, however, be a Stark Lord fit for winter, the kind the North needs for the times in which he'll live - tough and uncompromising, a hark back to the old Kings of Winter...

Personally I think Rickon will end up having little to no consequence to the story. Why else is his direwolf called Shaggydog (as in: story.). Now Davos' trip to Skaagos is a different matter, but Rickon himself? Useless.

I remember a quote from ACOK when the Reeds meet the wolves, paraphrasing "One wolf was strong but did not know his full potential (Bran's before he opened his third eye) and the other was mad with rage". I'm almost certain Rickon will be quite savage and if not as mad as Aerys then maybe a little like Viserys, except stronger.

Well, he's going to act like a four-year-old who saw his entire family disappear, but I don't think he will be a Joffrey or a Ramsay. More like his uncle Brandon maybe, hot-headed like hell and seeking vengeance. Also, probably Manderly will try to pull the strings, but I wonder if he will be able to do that or if Shaggy will get dinner for a year...

Personally I think Rickon will end up having little to no consequence to the story. Why else is his direwolf called Shaggydog (as in: story.). Now Davos' trip to Skaagos is a different matter, but Rickon himself? Useless.

Well do consider that he need not remain Shaggydog.. Rickon might just decide to name him more aptly in the future.

I think a wildling boy with a savage wolf the size of a small horse could be a formidable warrior at ten or eleven. I'm also sure he could lead battles with a strong guard around him.

The question is, will he remember anything of his Stark heritage or will he now have wildling ideas. Will he want to be lord of Winterfell if his morals now tell him people shouldn't kneel to other people??

Rickon will not be evil. But he will also not be merciful. He is angry, as he lost his home and his family despite his pleas for them to stay. As he grows older, he will grow more bitter, and his bitterness will temper his patience. Without patience, he will lash out more easily, and so will not demonstrate mercy.

If any current Stark would rule through fear rather than love, it would be Rickon.

If Rickon returns and the North rally to him/ Manderley, what will happen when Rickon reveals that Bran is actually alive somewhere and was not killed by Theon, would he still be able to sit the Winterfell seat even though Bran is higher in the line of succession?

Sorry, I just wondered but didn't think it was worth a topic as it has probably been covered before.

If Rickon returns and the North rally to him/ Manderley, what will happen when Rickon reveals that Bran is actually alive somewhere and was not killed by Theon, would he still be able to sit the Winterfell seat even though Bran is higher in the line of succession?

Sorry, I just wondered but didn't think it was worth a topic as it has probably been covered before.

Well, then he would rule the castle just like Bran did when Robb was away, waiting for further news from Bran.

I don't think bran will have a big role in winterfell and the north. He is in training for greenseer, and will probably replace bloodraven.I don't think the bloodraven and the children will let him go.

Archived