Rickon, the Black Wolf.

OberynBlackfyre

I don't know if this is of any importance but I have been thinking about it a lot.

It is common talk that Ghost's colouring has a deeper meaning. Why not be the same for Rickon's Shaggydog as well? I mean, I see everywhere written how Ghost is different from his brothers, but Shaggy is too, in a less obvious way.

The rest of the direwolves have grey fur and yellow eyes whereas Shaggy has black fur and green eyes.

I think Rickon will play an important role even in an inderict way due to his age but still he will have a contribution to the story.

And maybe his direwolf's name implies this role, perhaps he will help reveal a "shaggydog story" that's been building up.

Ghost is an albino-bastard the way Jon is a bastard (misfit) amongst the Starks. And red eyes are scary.

I don't think there's anything behind the colours of the wolves fur and eyes beyond that.

Ghost is an albino, white body with red eyes - Weirwoods have white trunks with red leaves - Bloodraven is also an Albino bastard

Just saying there seems to be more to it than just misfit with scary eyes.

Ghost is an albino, white body with red eyes - Weirwoods have white trunks with red leaves - Bloodraven is also an Albino bastard

Just saying there seems to be more to it than just misfit with scary eyes.

Good point.

To elaborate my position: I think it's clear the wolves take after, or take cues from, the Stark kids (Lady being a real gentle wolf, Shaggydog picking up on Rickon's anger and fear). However, I don't think that we can really extrapolate what will happen based on the colour of the wolves. I don't believe Rickon will "do X Y or Z" and it's forshadowed because his wolf is darkest in colouring. I may very well be wrong, but I don't think GRRM will go that way.

Thanks Queen Sansa!! I didn't know that meaning about Shaggydog. The farest I could get was as a reference at Scooby Doo. But I truly believe that it will happens something as you have say. Wouldn't it be funny that after he will turn to be a peaceful king?

I most say that colors also are relevant. And Shaggydog is black with green eyes, IIRC. Green means change. Black meaning I havrn't realise yet.

I have a question for Rickon fans. Why is it that some of you want Rickon to be all barbaric and unable to control his emotions? I am all for him being a Brandon Stark reborn and even a little bit wild, but seriously barbaric? He may have been the last two years with an wildling woman as his mother figure and on a island that is rumored to be one that preforms cannibalism, but that doesn't mean he has to condone himself to this all his life. For him to be an effective lord of winterfell he has to lose quite a lot of that wildness he probably took on to protect himself.

Ok: Ghost is an albino (white fur, red eyes) and Jon is inside him.

Bran tokken is the weirwood: white trunk red leaves. Bran watches thru the trees.

Jaqen J'ghar has red and white hair. And Arya is learning to be a FM.

Sansa has Sandor's Kings Guarding white cloak stained with blood. Marriage is something always discussed regarding Sansa.

Sure they are more: as Griff which shield is a red griff under a white field oppositing a white griff under a red field. He is turning to stone, and normally Griffs are stone statues.

Good point.

To elaborate my position: I think it's clear the wolves take after, or take cues from, the Stark kids (Lady being a real gentle wolf, Shaggydog picking up on Rickon's anger and fear). However, I don't think that we can really extrapolate what will happen based on the colour of the wolves. I don't believe Rickon will "do X Y or Z" and it's forshadowed because his wolf is darkest in colouring. I may very well be wrong, but I don't think GRRM will go that way.

Even Summer, Bran's direwolf, who is an outstanding character in the series has the same coloring as the rest. I think that making Shaggydog special in coloring might imply something, the same way Ghost's color may imply something about Jon's origins and character. By that, I don't necessarily mean that Rickon will turn dark or wild but that he will have a distinguishing role to play.

Otherwise I see no point in making him black and not grey as the rest.

I have a question for Rickon fans. Why is it that some of you want Rickon to be all barbaric and unable to control his emotions? I am all for him being a Brandon Stark reborn and even a little bit wild, but seriously barbaric? He may have been the last two years with an wildling woman as his mother figure and on a island that is rumored to be one that preforms cannibalism, but that doesn't mean he has to condone himself to this all his life. For him to be an effective lord of winterfell he has to lose quite a lot of that wildness he probably took on to protect himself.

This is Westeros we're talking about. Thoughtful characters like Ned and Rhaeghar end up dead. If Rickon does manage to make it back, I'd hope he and his Big Bad Wolf are coming for blood.

Antonius in fact green is in important color that shows the begin of changing at Sandor.

White means death, red danger. And these are meanings at the book. Black, I am sure, means something but I haven't get it yet.

Eh? Do you have quotes/chapter references?

Even Summer, Bran's direwolf, who is an outstanding character in the series has the same coloring as the rest. I think that making Shaggydog special in coloring might imply something, the same way Ghost's color may imply something about Jon's origins and character. By that, I don't necessarily mean that Rickon will turn dark or wild but that he will have a distinguishing role to play.

OK, but then we're just talking symbolism. I'm still not convinced, though. Could go either way IMO.

Otherwise I see no point in making him black and not grey as the rest.

To not have all the other wolves look the same? At some point a cigar is just a cigar.

This is Westeros we're talking about. Thoughtful characters like Ned and Rhaeghar end up dead. If Rickon does manage to make it back, I'd hope he and his Big Bad Wolf are coming for blood.

And acting all barbaric and reckless makes you also end up dead. Look at Lyanna and Brandon. Rhaeghar was reckless and Ned was naively digging his own grave with a big smile on his face. Both where not so thoughtful. And yes Thoughtful characters who last longer: Doran, Little Finger, Varys etc. all of them very much thoughtful and outlived quite some characters.

And acting all barbaric and reckless makes you also end up dead. Look at Lyanna and Brandon. Rhaeghar was reckless and Ned was naively digging his own grave with a big smile on his face. Both where not so thoughtful. And yes Thoughtful characters who last longer: Doran, Little Finger, Varys etc. all of them very much thoughtful and outlived quite some characters.

Wut? I don't understand this?

What I mean with is that Ned caused his own death, and he had no idea while he was doing it. That is what I mean with digging his own grave with a big smile. Causing your own death while not realizing it.

I know you're using figurative language but it doesn't really work. Ned wasn't totally oblivious, was very wary of his opponents and danced the dance. He just had a couple of missteps.

Also, he never smiled and was never too friendly.

Archived