Rickon, the Black Wolf.

OberynBlackfyre

` I just had some thoughts on the topic so I'll just throw them out there.

- Skagosi cannibals seems to me to be an exaggeration. They're might have been cannibals in the past, but if the recent history had cases of cannibalism I can't see how the Starks would not have put an end to it. I would think cannibalism is worse than slavery, and we know how Ned reacted to Jorah selling poaches to slavers. Imagine reports of cannibalism?

- I don't think Rickon's story is a Shaggydog story. Shaggydog is a silly name given by a toddler. I have a three year old and we asked her to name our dog (who's liver and white in coloring) she would name him "the big brown dog". If Rickon has no part to play why even create him as a character?

Rickon will be important. Just because it's in an indirect way doesn't make him less important. Ask Wyman Manderly how important Rickon is.

- I actually have a different view of how Osha's relationship will affect Rickon. While everyone generalizes that she's a wildling and therefore Rickon will be wild, I actually think that Osha has found a new-found respect for the Starks from her time at Winterfell. I think she'll educate Rickon on who the Starks are, what they stand for and instill a pride in Rickon that will temper his anger.

- We know through Shaggydog that Rickon has a rage that may be controlled (through others like Osha, Bran, and any of his siblings), but will always linger right below the surface and can erupt at any moment so that it's target will feel Rickon's ire and wrath. But I think in the end he'll be fair but firm, will deal with his enemies harshly but be extremely loyal and great to his friends.

- As this summer has been the longest in recent memory, so this winter will be long and harsh. Hence why the Others are making a reappearance, heck they may even be the reason for the long winter. Whether the winter will span both books or just WoW, Rickon will be about 14 (almost a man grown) when winter is over. That's old enough for him to be more prominent, but even if he's not it would be interesting to see how he grows up during that time span.

I don't think that's gonna work...

Can you give some details about what it was exactly in the books that made you make these connnections?

I want to do it more properly but I am right now with somethings. I can be wrong as all the theories that we have here, but I really believe that they means something.

The first thing that I notice was the Ice and Fire of the title (white and red). After the "tokkens" (just to give a name) of the Starks (as I have related before: ghost to Jon, the weirwood to Bran, the hair of Jaqen J´ghar to Arya and Sandor cloak to Sansa). Also I have notice the great amount of red hair people (38 at least and 2 more doubtful) but also they are somes really important with white hair. Also the amount of people with the alias The Red (the Red Viper, Ser Dontos the Red, the Red priest). Even places or things as the Red Keep, the Red Desert, or even the Red Comet or the Red Wedding, and of course The Red Good. (All with the Red aka tells me about danger)

I have even notice when people wears red clothes (you know that at the middle age red clothes were the most expensive because they weren´t easy to find the red dye). But here it is not about how expensive they are, but the moment when they wear it. An example: the night of the Hand Tourney The Hound is wearing a red cloth with a leather silhouete of the head of a dog. Sandor Clegane has a good amount of red in his face already (due to his scars are red) but the author makes him wear that outfit to symbolizes the danger that Sansa can feel from The Hound. Sansa that whole day is wearing a green dress. After that night and after their speach, at the next day, Sandor is wearing a green cloak. Anyway Sandor himself with his face and the white armour can be also a Sansa tokken.

All this makes me feel danger when I reat at ASOIAF the mention of red or red variation.

After I have look to the white. It is less notice but you can see the White Walkers, Ser Barristan with his white hair, the Targaryan with also white hair, the snow that preceds before the White Walkers kill.

Sorry, I have to go. But I will be pleased to discuss about this. ;D

I hope he comes back and smashes all the Frey's and tortures them before he feeds them to the wolfs. Also, the boltons will be next. I hope rickon becomes the black wolf

The Boltons require flaying, inlcuding Ramsay's girls and his flunkies. And their flayers make take, but they must ask.

I want to do it more properly but I am right now with somethings. I can be wrong as all the theories that we have here, but I really believe that they means something.

It makes more sense and is easier to grasp when you put it in perspective, like you did just now. Also, I didn't realise you meant the cloak when you made the reference about Sandor and Sansa and green. I haven't taken note of the colours the way you have.

The first thing that I notice was the Ice and Fire of the title (white and red). After the "tokkens" (just to give a name) of the Starks (as I have related before: ghost to Jon, the weirwood to Bran, the hair of Jaqen J´ghar to Arya and Sandor cloak to Sansa). Also I have notice the great amount of red hair people (38 at least and 2 more doubtful) but also they are somes really important with white hair. Also the amount of people with the alias The Red (the Red Viper, Ser Dontos the Red, the Red priest). Even places or things as the Red Keep, the Red Desert, or even the Red Comet or the Red Wedding, and of course The Red Good. (All with the Red aka tells me about danger)

You have been busy!

An example: the night of the Hand Tourney The Hound is wearing a red cloth with a leather silhouete of the head of a dog. Sandor Clegane has a good amount of red in his face already (due to his scars are red) but the author makes him wear that outfit to symbolizes the danger that Sansa can feel from The Hound. Sansa that whole day is wearing a green dress. After that night and after their speach, at the next day, Sandor is wearing a green cloak. Anyway Sandor himself with his face and the white armour can be also a Sansa tokken.

Perhaps an indication that Sandor was on the side of the Lannisters (red cloak), and one of Sansa's enemies? I'm not certain changing to a green cloak could mean he's coming to be an ally of Sansa, but you never know.

Sorry, I have to go. But I will be pleased to discuss about this. ;D

The board's not going anywhere... Unless SQL is a location I'm unfamiliar with. ;)

Perhaps an indication that Sandor was on the side of the Lannisters (red cloak), and one of Sansa's enemies? I'm not certain changing to a green cloak could mean he's coming to be an ally of Sansa, but you never know.

I believe more as he is showed to us as a danger (more or less The Hound persona is the danger). But finally it was Sansa the danger to The Hound.

Certainly Sandor wearing a green cloak during the second day of the tourney I really believe as a way of showing us the knight that it is inside him. He pick the color of his lady (not as a favour) and he carries it at the tourney.

Also he is wearing a green outfit when he arrives with Arya at the Red Wedding.

Another wearing green outfit is Cersei at AFFC when she is plotting with Falise to kill Bronn. Before that same scene she has left Jaime while they have discussed. It can mean a change in their relationship, cause she is thinking the whole time what things he used to tell her before.

The Lannister have green eyes and Petyr Baelish also has green eyes. I also see at them as changing characters.

For that I see important the green eyes of Shaggydog.

Yeah Rickon is definatley going to be a lot wilder than any other Stark, even Arya. With his family (although not meaning to) deserting him he has spent a lot of time with Osha and the people of Skagos, who are arguably the wildest people in the kingdom, so Rickon is basically going to be a wildling Stark, which will help if he does become Lord of Winterfell with all the wildlings now south of the Wall.

Thus is why I am hoping the 5 year gap will be covered with a fast forward of some type in the narrative. I think Rickon had learned enough to have a solid base from his Father and family, and now is learning the hard lessons of life as a smallfolk. Skagos I think will teach him how to survive and not ti judge by rumors, as I don't see them being cannibals. In essence he is getting the education that Varys boasts Aegon received.

In addition his name seems to be a combination of Rickard and Brandon. This leads me to believe he will hold some traits in common with thise two characters. In short I am not sure how, but I am hoping he will have an impact on the story.

ETA Also I think if he is encountered with Davoos you will have another positive influence to help him control his wild side.

Bit off topic but I can see Davos becoming a kinda mentor / father figure to RIckon. Would love to see Davos choosing between Stannis and Rickon and contributing to Stannis's downfall somehow. Seeing Davos struggle with his loyalty to Stannis and his moral code would be a good read.

Also this was my first post , hello westeros forum!

• 4 weeks later...

You think Rickon is useless? Really? He's a legitimate male heir to the Starks. A male heir grows up. He feels obligated to avenge his father's death, his brother's death, to right the wrongs done to his family. He represents a potential threat, someone who can become a dangerous enemy. Why else does Jaime Lannister make sure that Robb didn't sire an heir on Jeyne? Why did Tywin wipe out House Reyne and House Tarbeck completely? Why did Robert fear Daenerys? Robb's death set the stage for Rickon to be of great significance to the North. And I think the OP theory is spot on to where Rickon's character is heading. Westeros is in store for a long Winter and Rickon has plenty of time to thrive and grow before he takes lead of the North.

This I like. Because realistically GRMM HAS to do some sort of time jump. Arya and Rickon need to get older. Danaerys has to land in Westeros at some point an rule/deal with Aegon. Plus winter is still coming and for fuck sake we all want to know once and for all what actual winter is all about and the true North.

Side theory: maybe the reason why this particular winter is so fierce or supposedly is going to be what with the white walkers and things being messed up at the Wall is a metaphor for the absent Starks wrath. Rickon Arya and Sansa all chill plus Bran in his cave and Weirwoods, and once winter is over the Starks return. They all get older and can avenge and such.... I would hope. Let the Targs keep the south.

Also I can see Rickon's development coming through a Davos POV. He will groom him and treat him like a son because Davos is honourable like that and I do believe he has a big role to play in the song of ice and fire.. this being it.

I think that the Direwolf's names only tell us something about the kids who gave them, but I do think the nature of the direwolves themselves(perhaps with the exception of Ghost) tell us a lot about the kids theyr'e connected to.

Grey Wind is sfrong and fast, the alpha of the pack just like Robb.

Bran's wolf is smaller and quieter, yet wiser and has a lot of innerr strength.

Nymeria is strong and fierce and stubborn just like Arya.

Lady is...well, a lady, just like Sansa.

Ghost is the "badstard" of the pack, a different color than all the rest but he disobeys Jon all the time and I don't see a deeper connection between them beyond some very light warging.

But Shaggydog is dark black with different colored eyes than the rest of the pack, this may be a sign that Rickon will be different from the rest of the family as well. Also, throughout the series Shaggydog gets wilder and more feral, I don't think this is a sign that he's rabid because hes still obedient to Rickon. I think that wildness means that Rickon himself is slowly becoming more wild and being left alone with a wildling and living in Skagos can't help.

I think it's interesting that Shaggydog is the exact opposite of Ghost; Shaggydog is black, Ghost is white, Shaggy has green eyes, Ghost has read eyes (those are exact opposites as well, Shaggydog is the wild wolf, Ghost is the quiet wolf (sounds familiar as well?).. I wonder if this means that they'll be on opposite sides as well at some point..

` It's also interesting that all the direwolves, save for Shaggydog, get along and would never attack those they come to know. Like Ghost with Sam, and Summer with the Reeds, Grey Wind with the Westerling brother (can't recall his name), etc... But Shaggydog actually attacked Maester Luwin and had to be subdued by Summer in order to not attack the Reeds. I'm assuming he's cool with Osha.

` I just had some thoughts on the topic so I'll just throw them out there.

- Skagosi cannibals seems to me to be an exaggeration. They're might have been cannibals in the past, but if the recent history had cases of cannibalism I can't see how the Starks would not have put an end to it. I would think cannibalism is worse than slavery, and we know how Ned reacted to Jorah selling poaches to slavers. Imagine reports of cannibalism?

- I don't think Rickon's story is a Shaggydog story. Shaggydog is a silly name given by a toddler. I have a three year old and we asked her to name our dog (who's liver and white in coloring) she would name him "the big brown dog". If Rickon has no part to play why even create him as a character?

Rickon will be important. Just because it's in an indirect way doesn't make him less important. Ask Wyman Manderly how important Rickon is.

- I actually have a different view of how Osha's relationship will affect Rickon. While everyone generalizes that she's a wildling and therefore Rickon will be wild, I actually think that Osha has found a new-found respect for the Starks from her time at Winterfell. I think she'll educate Rickon on who the Starks are, what they stand for and instill a pride in Rickon that will temper his anger.

- We know through Shaggydog that Rickon has a rage that may be controlled (through others like Osha, Bran, and any of his siblings), but will always linger right below the surface and can erupt at any moment so that it's target will feel Rickon's ire and wrath. But I think in the end he'll be fair but firm, will deal with his enemies harshly but be extremely loyal and great to his friends.

- As this summer has been the longest in recent memory, so this winter will be long and harsh. Hence why the Others are making a reappearance, heck they may even be the reason for the long winter. Whether the winter will span both books or just WoW, Rickon will be about 14 (almost a man grown) when winter is over. That's old enough for him to be more prominent, but even if he's not it would be interesting to see how he grows up during that time span.

I agree I think Osha helps him mature and get over any feelings of being neglected. She knows the truth about what happened to his family so he would know that he wasn't abandoned.

For all the moral ambiguity in ASOIF, all Starks can still be considered "good" people in a general sense. I think it would be fitting to GRRM's work if one of them, like Rickon, actually turned out to be evil. Would make things very interesting, as he is the rightful Lord of Winterfell (if Bran doesn't come south, which I doubt)

Archived