Changes from the books you would like to see (Spoilers for books 1-5)

Humble Asskicker

My main suggestion would be to seriously trim Dany's story. Merge the slaver cities in S3 and have her travel to Volantis instead of Mereen in S4. Then let tyrion (because of Talisa?) quentyn, aegon and Euron(see below) meet her there. It would match the pace of earlier seasons and we wouldn't have to see her rule a city that only distracts from her main goal: conquer westeros. In order to make that goal feel more urgent she should start making contact and alliances with people who are actually important in westeros, not slavers in a far away land. The added benefit is that they have the chance of wrapping up everything believably in 5 seasons. They really should start considering the very real possibility of having to finish earlier than the books.

Also, cut Brienne's solo travels. The only important thing there is the gravedigger but that can be incorporated another way. We're not limited to pov's.

Lastly: limit or condense characters from Dorne and Iron isles. Bare essentials so far: oberyn, quentyn arriane, Balon, Asha, Theon, Euron (merge him with Victarion) There are already too many characters to keep it watchable as it is now.

I like the idea of Talisa fulfilling a sort of "Jeyne/Fake Arya" role in the Ramsay/Theon storyline. This will allow Theon more established characters to interact with. He'll see firsthand the ramifications of his betrayal.

Replacing Jeyne P with Talisa as fake Arya would be weird: "Damn, the girl is all grown up now. And also got an awesome tan".

Replacing Jeyne P with Talisa as fake Arya would be weird: "Damn, the girl is all grown up now. And also got an awesome tan".

Don't give them any ideas :P

Personally I think that we will in fact get Jeyne Poole. She appeared unnamed in brief shots of S1 and it's not to much of a stretch to introduce her later on. The other alternatives of having a grown woman like Ros or Talisa take her place so completely defy all logic that I doubt (but you never know.) that even D+D would do it.

Cut everythign from Dany's storyline. Nothing happens across the next 3 books. Dany walks, dany steals an army, dany walks, dany attacks a town, dany walks dany walks dany walks dany walks Blah blah blah mother of dragons blah yawn, filler filler filler filler filler, tyrion going to dany filler filler filler filler, martells heading to dany filler filler filler filler, iron islanders heading to dany filler filler filler, everyoen arrives, but dany flew away with one dragon filler filler filler.

The entire dany storyline is filler, and wasted paper.

Cut everythign from Dany's storyline. Nothing happens across the next 3 books. Dany walks, dany steals an army, dany walks, dany attacks a town, dany walks dany walks dany walks dany walks Blah blah blah mother of dragons blah yawn, filler filler filler filler filler, tyrion going to dany filler filler filler filler, martells heading to dany filler filler filler filler, iron islanders heading to dany filler filler filler, everyoen arrives, but dany flew away with one dragon filler filler filler.

The entire dany storyline is filler, and wasted paper.

And I'm sure that D+D will be able to come up with much more engaging, relevant material than Martin. Or do you suggest Dany dissapears until the last couple of seasons?

Surprised by how many people are actually adding in different things rather than just taking out some of the bulging book story.

Maybe I'm a purist, but I certainly would not want to see any fundamentals changed -- Dany should stay in Mereen (though need not be given loads of air time), Ramsay should marry "Arya" etc. I think unravelling any of those would just cause this to become a different - and IMO lesser - story.

Thing I would change are:

- cut out Davos' attempt to murder Mel (an replace it with just an adversarial chat between them)

- as someone said, cut out the whole Arstan Whitebeard business (Baristan just shows up as Baristan)

- keep Dany's storyline as is but with much less detail on each and every slaver city and nibbling on olives (e.g. cut out Yunkai and just leave Astapor and Mereen, with the Astapori slavers rising and coming to get Dany, together with fleet from Qarth etc)

- cut out Arya's time with the BWB and the Beric/Sandor duel and just have Sandor abduct her while she's fleeing with Gendry and Hot Pie (I know people are fans of the Beric/Sandor duel in the books, but it does not seem to have a big impact on future plot if we lose that)

- cut down on Sam and co's trip to Oldtown - we don't really need the whole Daeron and Bravos storyline, but we do need a suitably moving death scene for Maester Aemon (and I guess some version of the fat pink mast - shudder)

- cut out a number of the Iron Islands characters - you can have a kingsmoot etc without needing to give screen time to Euron, the Reader and the whole menagery

- cut down on the (slow moving) Dorne chapters, but keep them sufficiently to introduce Doran (and his revenge agenda), Arianne, Quentin (he's needed for the plot) and say just one Sandsnake (or 1 official one + Alleras/Sarella - there don't really need to be 6 of them)

- cut down Tyrion's journey down the Rhoyne (although there would need to be a different way introduced for him to meet Young Griff - maybe they just meet at Illyrio's)

- cut down drastically, but not totally eliminate, Brienne's quest for Sansa/Arya (Quiet Isle for one seems relevant to future plots)

- certainly keep Cersei's walk of shame as it is a key scene, but she doesn't need to be starkers - it's plenty of humiliation to have her shorn, barefoot and in rags

- perhaps cut out Penny (if she has no future role that we're not aware of)

And I'm sure that D+D will be able to come up with much more engaging, relevant material than Martin. Or do you suggest Dany dissapears until the last couple of seasons?

I still dont see how Martin is going to age up dany, and her dragons in time for her to make the trek across the sea and do anything meaningful, shes been in the same spot for 2 books. I'd be cool with just killing her off.

And I'm sure that D+D will be able to come up with much more engaging, relevant material than Martin.

Much more engaging, relevant material than Martin???? Aren't we all here because we love these books?

Probably they will make some changes, it's difficult, almost impossible I would say to make a movie that follow the storyline and spirit of the book "ad literam" but I seriously hope that they will keep the changes to the minimum.

Much more engaging, relevant material than Martin???? Aren't we all here because we love these books?

Probably they will make some changes, it's difficult, almost impossible I would say to make a movie that follow the storyline and spirit of the book "ad literam" but I seriously hope that they will keep the changes to the minimum.

Note the sarcasm.

Note the sarcasm.

Sorry, did not mean to offend. I only want to say that in my opinion the books are exceptionally and that changes will be but I hope only in terms of making this epic story fit for television.

- Axe the entire Ramsay/Theon plot. Not introducing Ramsay in S2 was a collosal mistake. No Jeyne Poole means the writers would have a really hard time convincingly writing the "Arya" plot. And as great as Theon's story was in ADwD, was his story even relevant to the big picture? Sorry, it wasn't.

- I still maintain introducing the Reeds in S3 is a mistake. Hopefully they are quickly written off after they help Bran reach his destination beyond the wall.

- Get rid of the Greyjoy brothers plots and most of the Martells stuff. I foresee Quentyn Martell being cut completely since his story was absolutely pointless and the one contribution to the plot he did (freeing Dany's dragons) can be done with another character.

Personally I think that we will in fact get Jeyne Poole. She appeared unnamed in brief shots of S1 and it's not to much of a stretch to introduce her later on. The other alternatives of having a grown woman like Ros or Talisa take her place so completely defy all logic that I doubt (but you never know.) that even D+D would do it.

The problem is that she was never mentioned by name. Same thing with Harwin, so he got cut. Really, I don't understand how you can keep thinking that these storylines won't be significantly altered. Didn't you watch S2? They completely changed Dany's story and gutted Arya's. So why do you insist that the Theon story stay intact when the parameters for it don't even exist?

I have a few more changes I'd like to see:

• No separate story for Quentyn -- he's not relevant as a character unless he's contributing to Dany's story
  • Shorten Sam's journey to Oldtown. All that needs to remain are: his discovery that Jon switched the babies (unless they scrap that?), telling Aemon of the dragons, Aemon's death, sleeping with Gilly, and arriving in Oldtown.
  • Bring forward some parts of the North's story in season four -- Davos' story and Roose/Ramsay/Theon in particular.

The idea for Talisa "replacing" Jeyne is not that she would pose as Arya, rather that Ramsay would wed her to solidify his claim to Winterfell as she would be, in the eyes of the Crown, the Dowager Lady.

Wasn't Mereen a desperate attempt to avoid a 5 year gap or something like that? That doesn't sound like a grand idea of a literary genius. It sounds like plan B.

Plus, they've aged the characters on the show so there's no reason for Dany to "mature" back East anymore. Have some faith in D&D and loosen the chain a bit. GRRM is not god.

Wasn't Mereen a desperate attempt to avoid a 5 year gap or something like that? That doesn't sound like a grand idea of a literary genius. It sounds like plan B.

Plus, they've aged the characters on the show so there's no reason for Dany to "mature" back East anymore. Have some faith in D&D and loosen the chain a bit. GRRM is not god.

Meereen is certainly not literary genius. It's completely ridiculous for one of the main characters of the series to be getting further away from Westeros in the fifth book out of "seven". The show should definitely change it. Whether they will or not remains to be seen.

Never did I say he was, but he's certainly a better writer than D+D. And quite frankly cutting out Dany's stuff in Slaver's Bay isn't possible without completely changing everything else. So it's either stick with Slaver's Bay or have D+D make something else up which is, let's be honest unlikely to be better than the books.

Archived