Changes from the books you would like to see (Spoilers for books 1-5)

Humble Asskicker

Ok I swear to god, I will and I will, either stop watching the show or start a huge petition to get D & D fired if they skip the Greyjoys, Dorne, and condence the plot of Theon in the 5th book.

Especially the Dorne becaues some people are thinking they won't include Arianne and everyone else. If they do this, my god..

Okay first off, the 4th season is killing off what? How many characters? Lets just say about 6-8 characters. That gives us more room for the next characters, Euron, Victarion, Quentyn, Doran, etc, etc, etc...

See my point? If they make an excuse of why they can't add Dorne or anything like that, I will be pissed beyond belief.

a huge petition to get the bosses of the show fired? good show, mate.

Think of this...This is a one time opportunity to create the best show possible using the source material from the books. If they screw up, its there permamently unless for some how later in the years, a remake would come along. But, thats a slight chance. So If they keep removing these characters and still have enough time for stupid screentime for other Non-important characters, then something is wrong.

D & D so far are doing a fantastic job! But with that podrick scene and a few of the sex scenes from season 1, those are left there forever. Some may see, yeah it was a bad scene oh well, but its still ruining that feel of perfection for the series.

There's no evidence to suggest they plan to cut those characters, and in fact the evidence suggests that they will most likely be included (if they are including Oberyn, they are including the Dorne subplot), so why not wait to complain until there is actually something to complain about?

Tywin Lannister not shitting himself at the end.

When I first read it, my first thoughts were "I hope the show makes it more serious" because it seemed too comical for such a serious villain. But that's the beauty of it. Tywin takes himself far too seriously, and considers himself to be above everyone else. What better way to humiliate him and bring him down to the level of everyone else than have him shitting himself as he dies? It reminds us all that he's still human, and shatters the aura and mythical presence he seems to have around other characters. It's a bit of dark humour that works brilliantly.

If the show leaves out the "Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, shit gold" line, I will flip shit. I was dismayed that Jaime's "I only rescue maidens" line was cut, but the shitting gold line is too fucking perfect to exclude.

Ok I swear to god, I will and I will, either stop watching the show or start a huge petition to get D & D fired if they skip the Greyjoys, Dorne, and condence the plot of Theon in the 5th book.

Heh, good luck with that. I'm sure HBO would want to fire the men responsible for their biggest overseas export in quite some time. While I don't think Dorne and the Greyjoys will be left out, they will most likely be heavily condensed, and this is necessary, as it will cause the plot to become too fragmented and unfocused for ten episodes worth of TV.

Highly doubt they'd condense Theon's plot. Both Benioff and Weiss have gone on record to state that Theon is their favourite character, and given the excellent job they did with him in season 2, I'm sure they'll do his ADWD material justice.

I think the "I only rescue maidens" line would have undercut the tension of the scene and delayed the urgency. They were right to cut it. If some line about Tywin not shitting gold - and I should stress here that it is not an actual line of dialogue in the books, but something Tyrion thought to himself - doesn't work organically in the scene then it absolutely should be cut. They shouldn't force it in just because it was a great moment in the book.

It might actually work much better as a line Tyrion gives to someone after the fact who inquires about Tywin's death.

Who is the most major character you've changed you mind about your plans for?

I don't want to reveal what I've planned for some of these characters, but I'm pretty well on track with most of the major characters. It's minor characters like Bronn that assume greater importance.

Hmmmm!

edit: and I'm pretty sure he was talking about these characters' roles in the books changing, rather than in the show.

There's no evidence to suggest they plan to cut those characters, and in fact the evidence suggests that they will most likely be included (if they are including Oberyn, they are including the Dorne subplot), so why not wait to complain until there is actually something to complain about?

Hey, you can't be reasonable in here! :P

Who is the most major character you've changed you mind about your plans for?

I don't want to reveal what I've planned for some of these characters, but I'm pretty well on track with most of the major characters. It's minor characters like Bronn that assume greater importance.

Hmmmm!

I'm fairly sure series 5 will merge the rolls of Bronn and the Kettleblacks. Cersei will seduce Bronn in series four, and then use him to betray Tyrion and then attempt to use him to seduce Margaery in series 5 in the conspiracy. That seems like a useful bit of streamlining to me.

I hope the TV series keeps the books' development of "Melisandre who cares about humanity", rather than their current portrayal of "Melisandre the evil cackling witch".

Various Sand Snakes can be merged without too much of an issue.

Aegon's gang can be safely cut down to JonCon, Duck, and Lemore. Sadly, the TV series is likely to change JonCon's name, so we don't get confused with Lord Commander Mary Sue. Will he become Ronald Connington?

The exile of Jorah is going to have to be changed in some way, I reckon. The fact that "the kiss" was cut from series three makes me suspect it'll appear in series four, and contribute to Dany's disillusionment with JM.

I am assuming that Ironborn will be cut significantly, Brienne will be taken down even more so - Almost out of existence (below 10), Dorne would be lightly trimmed. (None or minimal Oakheart - No need for Hortah).

Sam will stay similar.

Dany, Tyrion and Jon will be slightly expanded. How? I have no idea.

Jamie will be more interwoven in the KL plot to give him some more to do.

Nearly all ancilliary characters from AFOC and ADWD will be cut. So bye bye Priest and Dog, The crab dude, most of Aegons gang, most Ironborn, Bracken and the Blackwoods (or whatever they were called). Victorian's adventurers. The Sand snakes may even become singular not plural.

Bronn will be Gone. Written out in Season 4.

Sansa and Bran will become recurring guest stars more than main players.

You know that Victarion will be involved in battle of Meeren, from extra chapter, right?

Somebody has to play his role.

And also, GRRM said in his last interview that Hotah and sand snakeS will be cast.

Fact that some people did not like some caracters (because they were 'boring' or some peope were just lazy)

does not mean that GRRM story can be easily replaced with some random plots made for the show.

The fact is: Scenes from the show that reflect dialogue from the books are excellent most of the time.

Made up scenes not so much (some made up scenes are great though)

Archived