Changes from the books you would like to see (Spoilers for books 1-5)

Humble Asskicker

No Walk of Shame for Cersei. Luckily I think Lena Headey has a no nudity clause, so I don't think we'll be seeing it.
I don't know if Lena has any no nudity clause but if she has it would be odd, since in other movies she got naked. Anyway, may I ask why would you change? I get that it was an awful act, but very important for the character, it was a way of the character to lose everything they had in Cersei's case, her power was the last thing that made her Cersei after loosing Jaime and Tywin. And there was characters that suffered worst like Pia and Jeyne. Plus it got a insight on how not only war men, but the religious class and the rich men treated women.

Change the person Ramsay marries from "Arya" to Talisa. By this point in the show, Robb will be dead, Bran, Rickon and Arya will be presumed dead, and Sansa will be "missing" and presumed guilty of regicide. Marrying Talisa would therefore give him a claim to Winterfell.

Not really. After Robb's death, Winterfell passed to the boys, a woman has no right to her husband's land, not even if she re-marries because she can't pass something that wasn't hers in the first place. But as the boys are "dead", it would be pass to Sansa's husband, but Tyrion is missing, so it would pass for Arya's husband. Marring "Arya" was the smart move. Plus the actress who played Jeyne looks nothing like 'Talisa', really nothing. It would be too unrealistic. Or are you talking about him marring the real Talisa? that would be worse, because why would Reek save a woman he never met

Not really. After Robb's death, Winterfell passed to the boys, a woman has no right to her husband's land, not even if she re-marries because she can't pass something that wasn't hers in the first place. But as the boys are "dead", it would be pass to Sansa's husband, but Tyrion is missing, so it would pass for Arya's husband. Marring "Arya" was the smart move. Plus the actress who played Jeyne looks nothing like 'Talisa', really nothing. It would be too unrealistic. Or are you talking about him marring the real Talisa? that would be worse, because why would Reek save a woman he never met

The whole Fake Anyone plot would be tossed out the window. It would be the real Talisa married off to Ramsay and it would echo Lady Hornwood's situation in the books. Of course any attempt to legitimize the Bolton claim is all half-assed. It's not like any of it really mattered. The Boltons screwed the Starks and took over while being endorsed by KL. Any other action like intermarrying was just to smooth things over a little bit.

The whole Fake Anyone plot would be tossed out the window. It would be the real Talisa married off to Ramsay and it would echo Lady Hornwood's situation in the books. Of course any attempt to legitimize the Bolton claim is all half-assed. It's not like any of it really mattered. The Boltons screwed the Starks and took over while being endorsed by KL. Any other action like intermarrying was just to smooth things over a little bit.

Yes but why would Theon save a woman who he never met? And making Theon still be Reek and saving no one would be a huge change. It would make him never going to see Stannis, and if Bran really helped him, just a theory, Theon saving Jeyne was a huge proof of the grown of Bran's power. Plus what helped Theon remembering his name wasn't just regret, he knew Jeyne, she told him how beautiful he used to be, she was Sansa's friend, it was the closest for him to help a real Stark, what he didn't with Bran and Rickon. I think the fact that it was Jeyne and not Arya, or Talisa is very important to Theon's arc, changing it would be a huge loss. When Theon would look at Talisa he wouldn't seen Robb's wife, he never saw her with Robb, he never saw how much Robb loved her, he has no memories about her while he was Theon Greyjoy, not Reek. He would just look at her and see Talisa. He would never remember his name.

Except Arya was offered to Ramsay before the PW. Sansa was still the rightful heir at that time.

That's why I didn't get the point of giving Winterfell to Ramsay when Tywin could've sent Tyrion.

Yes but why would Theon save a woman who he never met? And making Theon still be Reek and saving no one would be a huge change. It would make him never going to see Stannis, and if Bran really helped him, just a theory, Theon saving Jeyne was a huge proof of the grown of Bran's power. Plus what helped Theon remembering his name wasn't just regret, he knew Jeyne, she told him how beautiful he used to be, she was Sansa's friend, it was the closest for him to help a real Stark, what he didn't with Bran and Rickon. I think the fact that it was Jeyne and not Arya, or Talisa is very important to Theon's arc, changing it would be a huge loss. When Theon would look at Talisa he wouldn't seen Robb's wife, he never saw her with Robb, he never saw how much Robb loved her, he has no memories about her while he was Theon Greyjoy, not Reek. He would just look at her and see Talisa. He would never remember his name.

I think that could be accomplished with some conversations/interactions between Talisa and Theon. It's not like he ever had an emotional attachment to Jeyne herself. It was just a window into his previous life. The same thing could be accomplished by Talisa and Theon talking about Robb. Theon saving Talisa, the woman Robb loved, would be a more powerful gesture IMO.

Except Arya was offered to Ramsay before the PW. Sansa was still the rightful heir at that time.

That's why I didn't get the point of giving Winterfell to Ramsay when Tywin could've sent Tyrion.

Heiresses or not. A Stark is a good marriage. Plus if a Stark is married to somebody who supports the Lannister, that would mean she supports the Lannister, what would be good for Tywin.

Do you really think the northern men would accept a Lannister as Lord of Winterfell? I doubt. And pretend to follow them for fear but actually having them as thier Lord is pushing it too far.

I think that could be accomplished with some conversations/interactions between Talisa and Theon.

In Talisa's knowledge about Theon, he killed her husband's brother. Why would she talked to him? And even with she did, have you notice how loyal and afraid Reek is from Ramsay? Wouldn't matter she'd say, he wouldn't listen because he knew if he allow himself such a thing Ramsay would torture him
It's not like he ever had an emotional attachment to Jeyne herself. It was just a window into his previous life.
Exactly and that made a huge difference, the windom to his previous life made him Theon again
The same thing could be accomplished by Talisa and Theon talking about Robb.
No. As I said he never saw him with Robb. What she would said would be just words, and words are wind. When Jeyne talked he remembered of Sansa, which led him to remind of the Starks and who he was. The pictures were in his head, as much as he struggle to keep being Reek because if he tried to be back as Theon and fail it would be worse, he couldn't. Hearing Talisa would be easier to ignore, he never met her, he never saw her with Robb. She didn't remind him of Robb, words are easier to ignore.
Theon saving Talisa, the woman Robb loved, would be a more powerful gesture IMO.
I don't see this happening, it would be nonsense because would make Ramsay's impact on Theon smaller, and easily to get over.

I don't know if Lena has any no nudity clause but if she has it would be odd, since in other movies she got naked. Anyway, may I ask why would you change? I get that it was an awful act, but very important for the character, it was a way of the character to lose everything they had in Cersei's case, her power was the last thing that made her Cersei after loosing Jaime and Tywin. And there was characters that suffered worst like Pia and Jeyne. Plus it got a insight on how not only war men, but the religious class and the rich men treated women.

Lena Headey has tattoos all over her body, so it would be pretty hard for her to be naked on GoT!

Walking naked through King's Landing was uncomfortable to read -- I can only imagine how awful it would be to watch. If they must keep it, I only hope that they keep her fully clothed.

• As I have stated repeatedly, I'm talking about Ramsay marrying Talisa
  • Talisa, after the deaths of Robb, Bran, Rickon and Catelyn, and the disappearances of Sansa and Arya, is the Dowager Lady of Winterfell.
  • Talisa was Robb's wife. Saving her could be his way of redeeming himself for betraying Robb.

No. As I said he never saw him with Robb. What she would said would be just words, and words are wind. When Jeyne talked he remembered of Sansa, which led him to remind of the Starks and who he was. The pictures were in his head, as much as he struggle to keep being Reek because if he tried to be back as Theon and fail it would be worse, he couldn't. Hearing Talisa would be easier to ignore, he never met her, he never saw her with Robb. She didn't remind him of Robb, words are easier to ignore. I don't see this happening, it would be nonsense because would make Ramsay's impact on Theon smaller, and easily to get over.

How could this same thing not happen with Talisa bringing up Robb? I think there's a lot of richness to be minded in interaction between those two characters and all of the same plot points could be hit. Jeyne is, thus far, an irrelevant character. I think that consolidating characters whenever possible is very important to the series as a whole.

Lena Headey has tattoos all over her body, so it would be pretty hard for her to be naked on GoT!

Yes, but with make up they could easily do it. For example, there's a video of a guy whose skins look perfectly "clean" but he starts to taking off the make-up and he has tatoos all over his face, close to him Lena's tatoo were nothing.

Walking naked through King's Landing was uncomfortable to read -- I can only imagine how awful it would be to watch. If they must keep it, I only hope that they keep her fully clothed.

I agree it was uncomfortable to read but had a huge impact in Cersei, and her arc. It's the kinda of thing that is awful to watch but kinda had to be done.

Talisa doesn't seem like a character who needs saving, especially not from a character like Theon when he's Reek. It seems to me she would rather die than be married to Ramsay, so I really hope they don't try to do that. I liked the fake-Arya subplot from the books so I hope they leave it in.

Talisa doesn't seem like a character who needs saving, especially not from a character like Theon when he's Reek. It seems to me she would rather die than be married to Ramsay, so I really hope they don't try to do that. I liked the fake-Arya subplot from the books so I hope they leave it in.

Agreed. Love her or hate her Talisa is not one to lie down and take abuse, unless they have Ramsay thoroughly break her in Theon/Reek fashion.

Do a showSerAlliser makeover on Bowen Marsh and make him just a little bit more awesome. I think he's fine as is in the books, but you need to heighten things a bit on tv, especially because many book readers have an erroneous reading of his character. Admittedly, since showJon is so pathetically lame compared to his heroic book counterpart I can't see Bowen as coming off as anything but improved on tv. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I was reading Allen Sepinwall's review of the most recent episode of boardwalk empire and I came across this comment:

"I'm officially fearing a "Game of Thrones" season -- too much going on in too many places to meaningfully advance the story"

To all the people doubting the need for changes: this is not a reputation to aspire to. Notice the word "fear"

In general, they should start to condense and focus more. Which characters are essential? Suggestions: Slaver cities=one city. Less travelling for Arya. More action in KL (because it's familiar). They should also change the structure of episodes. Stick to 3 to 4 plotlines max.

I mean, this was always going to be the biggest problem in adapting this beast, especially post-aGoT.

So I was reading Allen Sepinwall's review of the most recent episode of boardwalk empire and I came across this comment:

"I'm officially fearing a "Game of Thrones" season -- too much going on in too many places to meaningfully advance the story"

To all the people doubting the need for changes: this is not a reputation to aspire to. Notice the word "fear"

In general, they should start to condense and focus more. Which characters are essential? Suggestions: Slaver cities=one city. Less travelling for Arya. More action in KL (because it's familiar). They should also change the structure of episodes. Stick to 3 to 4 plotlines max.

I mean, this was always going to be the biggest problem in adapting this beast, especially post-aGoT.

I agree with everything except the last part. If there are around 10 storylines this season (Dany, Jon, Sam, Rob-Cat, KL, Bran, Arya, Theon, Stannis, Jaime), and they have 3-4 storylines each episode, it means that each storyline would appear once every three episodes. Which means, we'd see each of the characters just about three or four times per season. That's not enough to create a character arc.

Yeah it's tricky but regardless of how many storylines, the most important thing is that the individual stories have some sort of coherence within a single episode. In S1, for instance, they could switch from Robert and Ned talking about Dany to Dany herself. It's a small example of how, no matter how far apart geographically, the stories are connected to form a larger whole. For next season, they could use Barristan for this East-West link by giving some Westeros exposition.

About the need for more action in KL: I expect that Varys' deal with Ros can provide some of this. Not sure how, but it could expand KL beyond some skirmishes and the PW.

I support only minor changes. One thing that I want to see changed is Jon's meeting with Mance on season 4 when he's sent by Janos Slynt and Ser Alliser Thorne to assassinate Mance. In the books Stannis arrives before Jon tries anything, but I'd like to see a bit more of drama in that scene, with Mance pulling his sword out saying he will kill Jon. When Mance is about to kill Jon with a very dramatic soundtrack on the background to make it look like he will actually die, someone yells pretty loudly STAAAAAAANNNIIIIIIIIS, followed by hundreds saying the same thing just so the viewers can understand exaclty what they are saying. Stannis leads the attack and is seen cutting through several wildlings from his horse and saves the day much more epically than in the books.

Archived