Changes from the books you would like to see (Spoilers for books 1-5)

Humble Asskicker

I don't know why she'd have a problem being naked, she was naked like crazy and in a very graphic sex scene for 300.

Was there actual nudity in that?

That said I've heard she has been naked in other films so I'm thinking this whole no-nudity clause is just a myth. The only real problem is her tattoo and that can be covered up with makeup.

It should be noted that it is very easy to depict a character being naked on screen without the actor/actress showing T&A. Television shows and movies have been doing this for eons. A well placed camera angle or coincidentally covered body part can still allow the actress to be "naked" without giving up the goods.

Although my opinion about on screen nudity is that if you're willing to do it once, you shouldn't have a problem doing it again as long as you don't feel it's gratuitous.

• No separate side-quest for Brienne. Let Jaime send her off in season four, and then not see her again until she comes to take him to Lady Stoneheart.

I would shorten Brienne's travels but quite a bit but I wouldn't cut them out entirely. Remember how she finds a certain "grave digger"? Or the amazing speech the septon gives? Or her meeting Gendry and getting captured by Stone Heart and yelling "sword"? Overall her travels were long and boring but they had their moments. If the show just focused on those few moments then it would be really good.

• Change the person Ramsay marries from "Arya" to Talisa. By this point in the show, Robb will be dead, Bran, Rickon and Arya will be presumed dead, and Sansa will be "missing" and presumed guilty of regicide. Marrying Talisa would therefore give him a claim to Winterfell.

I can't agree with this part. They should keep the fake Arya storyline. Remember how Jon decides to break his vow to save her? He wouldn't do that for some girl he's never met. Not to mention Melisandre sends Mance to Winterfell to save Arya to gain Jon's favor. And all the Northmen tribes are rallying to Stannis to help save Ned's little girl. Also, Arya has a stronger claim to Winterfell than Talisa. Talisa is even more of a nobody in the show then she was in the books. She's no Margery who is from a powerful house and it would actually benefit you to marry her. Not to mention she is Robb's widow. The Lannisters want her captured and the Boltons are on the Lannisters side so why would Ramsay marry the widow of their dead rebel king? Most of your other points are pretty reasonable but I can't back this one.

- Axe the entire Ramsay/Theon plot. Not introducing Ramsay in S2 was a collosal mistake. No Jeyne Poole means the writers would have a really hard time convincingly writing the "Arya" plot. And as great as Theon's story was in ADwD, was his story even relevant to the big picture? Sorry, it wasn't.

- I still maintain introducing the Reeds in S3 is a mistake. Hopefully they are quickly written off after they help Bran reach his destination beyond the wall.

- Get rid of the Greyjoy brothers plots and most of the Martells stuff. I foresee Quentyn Martell being cut completely since his story was absolutely pointless and the one contribution to the plot he did (freeing Dany's dragons) can be done with another character.

The problem is that she was never mentioned by name. Same thing with Harwin, so he got cut. Really, I don't understand how you can keep thinking that these storylines won't be significantly altered. Didn't you watch S2? They completely changed Dany's story and gutted Arya's. So why do you insist that the Theon story stay intact when the parameters for it don't even exist?

Boy have you lost your mind because I'll help ya find it!

Keep Penny, but have Dinklage play both roles, in drag. This time, Tyrion falls in love with Penny, but then has a "crying game" moment down in the galley. This provides more justification for Tyrion's butt-holish behavior in Essos, and it practically screams "give this a man another fucking emmy, dammit!"

The marriage of fake Arya to Ramsay is a MAJOR STORYLINE, as important to the development of the story as the Red Wedding or the death of Ned Stark. The marriage is the event that will change the socio-political environment of the North and the Wall. Having Talisa marry Ramsay would be equivalent to keeping Rob and Ned Stark alive in the TV show.

IT WON'T BE CHANGED.

The marriage of fake Arya to Ramsay is a MAJOR STORYLINE, as important to the development of the story as the Red Wedding or the death of Ned Stark. It would be equivalent to keeping Rob and Ned Stark alive in the TV show.

IT WON'T BE CHANGED.

Except for the fact that there is no Jeyne Poole to play Fake Arya (or at least a character who was from the North and came down with Sansa to King's Landing in Season 1 who was then captured by the Lannisters after Ned's arrest).

So the storyline as you are describing it cannot happen since they have no one in King's Landing from the North who can convincingly pose as Arya. This will necessitate them making major changes, whether you like it or not.

^Just because Jeyne Poole was not specifically mentioned in the last few season doesn't mean they can't retcon her in at a later date. It would be as easy as saying 'oh we grabbed the daughter of one of Ned's household when we slaughtered them and now we've dressed her up as Arya.' Let's face it, how much screentime did Jeyne really get in the books?

Enough to make it clear that she was Sansa's friend and handmaiden who mysteriously disappeared when Ned was taken.

Never even mentioning that she was around or that Sansa had a friend with her would look like a ridiculous retcon.

"Oh, by the way, I know we never made mention or showed you this character before but trust us, we captured her way back in Season 1 (after clearly showing Lannisters brutally slaughtering every Stark entourage member) when you weren't paying attention and now she's conveniently ready for some long-con we had in mind for her but never ever discussed with anyone."

The TV audience would absolutely shit all over that.

The TV audience would absolutely shit all over that.

The character would be fake Arya...all she has to do is look similar to Arya. It doesn't have to be "Jeyne Poole" per se, it could be any whore who could pass for Arya. Ross character is from Winterfell and could be used to tutor fake-Arya.

TV audience wouldn't care as long as it's done well.

What kind of "whore" would pass as Arya? She's 11.

Is that a serious question?? You should re-watch the scene between Littlefinger and Varys on Season 1 Episode 5, where LG says "All desires are valid with man with full purse"

I'll say it again, all they have to do is find someone, whore or not, who could pass for Arya. Shouldn't be too hard.

I think it doesn't need to be Jeyne Poole or a girl from the Stark household. It can be any random girl they pick on the street. She just has to pretend to be Arya and that's all. Her real identity is not really important, only her fake one.

Even if that's the case, it's a huge deviation since Jeyne is only able to pass herself off as Arya because she lived in Winterfell and knew about how household worked. She was also known to Theon and he bonded with her because of his guilt about what he had done to the Starks and all who were connected to them.

So the contention that the storyline cannot change is bunk. It's going to change and if that's the case, you just have to decide whether continuing to try and shoehorn in a "fake" Arya (which is infinitely easier for the audience to suspend its disbelief for in a book when you don't have to actually see how little the girl looks like Arya) is worth it or whether you should go in a more logical, streamlined direction.

The Fake Arya storyline in the book is weak and will be even weaker on the show (where disguises and hidden identities are almost impossible to pull off). I hope to god they change it and if Talisa is taken prisoner by the Lannisters/Boltons at the RW this season, then I think my hunch will be correct.

Even if that's the case, it's a huge deviation since Jeyne is only able to pass herself off as Arya because she lived in Winterfell and knew about how household worked. She was also known to Theon and he bonded with her because of his guilt about what he had done to the Starks and all who were connected to them.

So the contention that the storyline cannot change is bunk. It's going to change and if that's the case, you just have to decide whether continuing to try and shoehorn in a "fake" Arya (which is infinitely easier for the audience to suspend its disbelief for in a book when you don't have to actually see how little the girl looks like Arya) is worth it or whether you should go in a more logical, streamlined direction.

The Fake Arya storyline in the book is weak and will be even weaker on the show (where disguises and hidden identities are almost impossible to pull off). I hope to god they change it and if Talisa is taken prisoner by the Lannisters/Boltons at the RW this season, then I think my hunch will be correct.

Theon's reasons for trying to save her and her knowledge about Winterfell are minor details. I don't consider that a huge deviation. Swapping FakeArya storyline for RealTalisa would change a lot, not only Theon's story, but also Jon's and Stannis's. Stannis is about to bring Jon a fake Arya, and neither Jon or Stannis know she's fake. I bet that will have some consequences, and with Stannis bringing Jon the real Talisa, there could be a real deviation depending on those consequences we still don't know how will play out. I think it's safer to use the FakeArya plot with a random girl pretending to be Arya.

Even as someone who hates Talisa I have to say I hope that they go with the Talisa marries Ramsay route. Retconning Jeyne or some other northern girl into existence would be clumsy and serve only to please us bookreaders. At least this way Talisa gets to do something useful, and gets her comeuppance for replacing Jeyne :P

Theon's reasons for trying to save her and her knowledge about Winterfell are minor details. I don't consider that a huge deviation. Swapping FakeArya storyline for RealTalisa would change a lot, not only Theon's story, but also Jon's and Stannis's. Stannis is about to bring Jon a fake Arya, and neither Jon or Stannis know she's fake. I bet that will have some consequences, and with Stannis bringing Jon the real Talisa, there could be a real deviation depending on those consequences we still don't know how will play out. I think it's safer to use the FakeArya plot with a random girl pretending to be Arya.

D+D are privy to information about future events that we aren't. Likely Jeyne will be revealed fairly early on in TWOW so I don't see this being a massive ripple effect. Jon could easily just attack Ramsay purely based on wanting to liberate Winterfell and avenge Stannis.

I get your point and I wouldn't mind it, but that could be a huge deviation and these forums would explode :D

Though it could work better for the TV audience, as Talisa is a bigger character in the show and both Jeynes in the books are so minor that very few people care about them. In turn, a lot of book readers, and not only the purists, would be pissed.

So I think this it's a better option to keep FakeArya using a random girl, without retconning anything. It would also serve to keep Arya in the storyline of Westeros and to reminds us that she wasn't forgotten, as she will be in Braavos by that point.

The Fake Arya plotline in the books depends on the readers accepting that everyone in the North is a gullible moron who completely buys whatever story is being given to them by their enemies. It depends on the readers also accepting that no one in Westeros remembers anything about Arya Stark as the girl that they're trying to pass off as her bears no relation, doesn't look like her and isn't the same age. There is also the fact that Arya has not been seen or heard from since before her father was captured (even though her sister has been freely roaming around King's Landing in plain view of everyone) and logically presumed dead or missing. No one in the entire kingdom of Westeros is going to question this extreme contrivance of a girl the Lannisters/Boltons claim to be her popping up at the most opportune time?

Then, to compound things, we need to accept that as we bring more and more characters into the orbit of her who will be able to figure out this farce on sight, there will be Three's Company-level contrivances to not reveal her to them or have them "just miss" figuring it out.

The whole plotline is brutal and should be jettisoned in favour of a plotline which simply has the Lannisters and Boltons say "why do we need to trick anybody, we're the families in power and if we say this is what's giving Ramsay Winterfell, then that's the way it's going to be." Let them send an unwilling Talisa there in order to solidify the claim, not because it's historically "right", but because they can and there's no other Stark around to dispute it.

The other crap about Jon and Stannis is so off on the periphery that it doesn't matter. They have plenty of motivation to do the things they end up doing to not have some silly mistaken identity plotpoint muddying the waters.

Archived