Rhaegar's final words

Danelle

not to Jaime Lannister but to Robert Baratheon in the Trident. According to GRRM Rhaegar died with a woman's name on his lips. It could be Lyanna since her abduction was what started the war but it could also be Visenya. Rhaegar was obsessed with the three heads of the dragon and he had already named his children Aegon and Rhaenys. Are there any theories or ,ore information on that?

not to Jaime Lannister but to Robert Baratheon in the Trident. According to GRRM Rhaegar died with a woman's name on his lips. It could be Lyanna since her abduction was what started the war but it could also be Visenya. Rhaegar was obsessed with the three heads of the dragon and he had already named his children Aegon and Rhaenys. Are there any theories or ,ore information on that?

When I read just the title of this thread, I had a sudden realization it might have been Visenya. I click on it and my thoughts from a second ago are in the OP :) Yes, it could have been Visenya, but we need more evidence on whether he truly loved Lyanna. Was he more obsessed with the prophecy or with her? For now, the more likely of the two is Lyanna, if only to add dramatism because the fight was between Rhaegar and Robert.

The most reasonable answer is Lyanna I guess. But then Daenerys would know about Lyanna and the story of their elopement and how it triggered the war that ended her family.

So maybe the name she heard in the HotU vision was a name she didn't know it's owner.

It was me he talked of, natch!

Ego much? :)

Yeah, if he had died to someone else, we might have been given the name...with Robert being the one to do him in, I think it's kind of a given that the name was Lyanna.

The most reasonable answer is Lyanna I guess. But then Daenerys would know about Lyanna and the story of their elopement and how it triggered the war that ended her family.

So maybe the name she heard in the HotU vision was a name she didn't know it's owner.

It's likely she just couldn't hear the name in the HOTU, as Rhaegar was dying of course. He murmured her name.

Daenerys knows Rhaegar loved a northern girl and took her with him. She wants Daario to carry her off at swordpoint before her wedding, 'just like Rhaegar did with his northern girl.'

I don't think it is Lyanna. Quite frankly, I think the whole romance theory of R+L too cliché and obvious for Martin.

It's not like there is absolutely no romance in a Song of Ice and Fire. Tragic and doomed love is quite there actually. Especially within the Targaryen family.

I don't think it is Lyanna. Quite frankly, I think the whole romance theory of R+L too cliché and obvious for Martin.

Well, this is interesting. Which part of the Lyanna and Rhaegar love story is cliché? How often do princes cheat on their wives and run off with another woman to secretly engage in polygamy in order to satisfy the crazy?

I've read a fair few romance novels through the years, but this clichéd trends of cheating princes somewhat obsessed with prophecies have escaped me. Care to give some recommendations for where they can be found?

Ego much? :)

Yeah, if he had died to someone else, we might have been given the name...with Robert being the one to do him in, I think it's kind of a given that the name was Lyanna.

Well you know me, every thread in Gen Chat is about what happened to me. Or was that someone else? :P

Archived