The Wise Man's Fear IX [Spoilers & Speculation]

thistlepong

1. Psyzygy points out how ordering that expensive mounting board should have attracted attention

2. kineta suggests that Lady Lackless's black dress means a night with no moon

3. Rutep points out that black does seem to be implied to be a mourning color in the Four Corners

4. Rutep points out the aural similarity between Jax and Jakis

5. I have also included four comments on how sympathy and sygaldry work in the indexing post

Item one came up again relatively recently when considering what might happen at the end of book three in the frame. Essentially, Kvothe's cover sucks for a few reasons and he confessed his identity to Aaron today. When he and Carter return tomorrow they could reasonably leading the King's men to Kote. It also occurs to me after rereading Astro City: Local Heroes that the whole town, small as it is, probably has a bead on Kote and Bast. He even says there are no secrets in a town like this. They just respect his privacy and appreciate his help and work enough to let it be. It's only now that things gave gotten desperate for a couple folk that they'd consider selling him out.

Item four is a wash. Jakis changes freely in translation.

I love the Perial/Adem connection.

It also occurs to me after rereading Astro City: Local Heroes that the whole town, small as it is, probably has a bead on Kote and Bast. He even says there are no secrets in a town like this. They just respect his privacy and appreciate his help and work enough to let it be. It's only now that things gave gotten desperate for a couple folk that they'd consider selling him out.

I imagine the townsfolk know he's pretty well off, but I don't think they know who he is. Though his identity may become known to them by the end of the trilogy.

Item four is a wash. Jakis changes freely in translation.

Yeah, I didn't think that would be anything more than coincidence. Thanks for sharing that information.

Can I just say how much I love seeing a new post in this thread? I never fail to see some new thing that, no matter how often I read these stories, I just didn't notice. Ex: Perial. I've just read past that part... oh, I don't know how many times, and never noticed it.

Apologies if this has already been brought up before but I just noticed this

Chronicler continued "some stories paint you as little more than a red handed killer"

"I'm that too" Kote turned to polish the counter behind the bar.

To me this sounds like Kvothe has either joined the ranks of the Amyr or has styled himself as such to add to his reputation

Listening to a youtube livestream of Pat (he's creating a deck of cards with Kingkiller characters featured on each card, with little hints about the book in them).

He liked one question from the watchers of the livestream a lot. It went along the lines of:

"When you have a bunch of people all 'acting for the greater good', what happens if they disagree?"

He said that this question would be important to the plot.

Listening to a youtube livestream of Pat (he's creating a deck of cards with Kingkiller characters featured on each card, with little hints about the book in them).

He liked one question from the watchers of the livestream a lot. It went along the lines of:

"When you have a bunch of people all 'acting for the greater good', what happens if they disagree?"

I'm glad folks are posting bits from it. Thanks. I don't think I could have imagined a year ago how impossible even watching youtube would seem.

Anyway, on topic, that's great. I've been slowly putting together a post on the literary alchemy of the series and I found myself shying away from some of the obvious predictions for the third book based on it, but this gives me a little more confidence.

I suppose I'll have to listen to it, now... sometime. Anyway, they Amyr should play a pretty large role based on colors alone. But it's nice to k now they're closer to the plot than they've been. Here's hoping for confirmation about what happened to Selitos.

Chronicler continued "some stories paint you as little more than a red handed killer"

"I'm that too" Kote turned to polish the counter behind the bar.

To me this sounds like Kvothe has either joined the ranks of the Amyr or has styled himself as such to add to his reputation

Some people say what you just said. Others suggest that it means Kvothe has killed Amyr. Or both. Or neither.

Wow! I did not know about this. Thanks so much for telling us about it! I will definitely be backing it now. For those interested the kickstarter is here.

I have now watched all the long videos with Pat for the cards (here, here here, and here), and a lot of interesting stuff is said. I'll mention some of it below.

First, but probably least importantly, pronunciation of names. Though Pat did say that how people pronounce things isn't important to him.

Yll is pronounced Yill, I had been pronouncing it like ill or even sometimes eel.

Ceald and Cealdish are pronounced Shald and Shaldish respectively.

Pat usually pronounces Devi like Davy; but sometimes with a short e in the first syllable and a long e sound in the second.

Elodin is like El-uh-din. I had been using more of a long o in the second syllable and also often emphasized the second syllable.

Edema Ruh has no long e sounds. I had been using a long e in the second syllable.

Fela has a short e. I'd been using a long e.

Amyr is like Ay-meer. I'd been using a short a sound and emphasizing the second syllable.

Tarbean is like Tar-bee-in. I'd been saying Tar-bean.

Now for some more interesting stuff.

1. Pat mentioned a place that he said wouldn't be on the map because of how far away it is. I couldn't quite catch the name perfectly, it sounded to me like either the Velt, or Kvelt. I turned on Youtube's closed captioning software and it thought it sounded like developed.
  2. For the dealer chip, Pat requested that they place a star in the crescent moon to illustrate that the moon physically moves between worlds and therefore there would be no dark side to block the stars behind it.
  3. (paraphrasing) Pat suggested that Auri is very important to the soul of the trilogy, but may not be important to the plot.
  4. (paraphrasing) Pat suggested that Devi is very important both to the soul of the trilogy and to the plot.
  5. Someone asked Pat if he borrowed a certain word (I don't know which word) from Sanskrit. Pat didn't know what it meant in Sanskrit.
  6. At one point we can see Pat's bookmarks, one of them was The Alchemy Web Site, which Google suggests to me is this site. May be a good reference for interpreting the alchemy of the books.
  7. Besides Amyr disagreeing with each other being important to the next book's plot, he also said that bad things happen when they disagree.

Edited the second video link because it was deleted and re-upped.

Thanks for getting me interested in watching it. I won't be able to watch all of it until monday though.

Could you tell around where was #5 mentioned? I could try to identify the Sanskrit word.

Should be devi. He mentioned that one of his betas had asked at the reading I attended. Might be another one, though.

Thanks for getting me interested in watching it. I won't be able to watch all of it until monday though.

Could you tell around where was #5 mentioned? I could try to identify the Sanskrit word.

Should be devi. He mentioned that one of his betas had asked at the reading I attended. Might be another one, though.

That could be possible, but I think jumbles would have recognized (is that the right word?) it.

I got numbers 3-5 from a two minute section starting here. This is what Pat says (omitting some fumbling for words), anything not in brackets is Pat talking:

There's a nice comment here that says, 'The books without Devi or Auri would be like missing teeth,' and I could not agree more.

[The artist comments on Auri being so important to the flavor of the books.]

Yeah, [Auri's] important in so many ways. Now in terms of plot you could make an argument, sure, that a lot could be cut from the book, depending on what you consider is the true plot, and there's a lot of discussion that could be had there. But no, in terms of the heart of the book, what the book is really about, um, yeah, Devi is, Devi is so important.

[some other stuff is said.]

Somebody said, 'I always imagined that Pat had took the name from the Sanskrit word.' I'd be curious what that Sanskrit word meant, if you're still on here.

So paying closer attention to what he said, now I'm thinking maybe he was saying that neither Auri nor Devi was important to the plot.

Devi is probably the Sanskrit word that Pat didn't know the meaning of.

And yes, Nisheeth, "recognized" is the right word. But I didn't recognize it because it was not a verbal question, but a written comment that I could not see.

So paying closer attention to what he said, now I'm thinking maybe he was saying that neither Auri nor Devi was important to the plot.

There's another bit I linked in this thread or the last one where, at a reading, he says Auri isn't important to the plot, but she's important to Kvothe. Whether he's talking about the larger arc, trouping through to the Waystone, or the specifics of his preamble, neither Devi nor Auri seem placed to play a significant role in the mechanical forward motion. On the other hand they both provide some of the crucial opportunities for positive or at least non-homicidal character development.

Off Topic. Thinking about it, Manet's response to being seen with Kvothe if he was known to have any relationship with Devi was pretty tense. At the end of WMF, she's at the Hemme's Folly party. I suppose, if one is among the folks looking for a second expulsion, that could do it. Maybe for Sim and Wil, too.

I got numbers 3-5 from a two minute section starting here. This is what Pat says (omitting some fumbling for words), anything not in brackets is Pat talking:

There's a nice comment here that says, 'The books without Devi or Auri would be like missing teeth,' and I could not agree more.

[The artist comments on Auri being so important to the flavor of the books.]

Yeah, [Auri's] important in so many ways. Now in terms of plot you could make an argument, sure, that a lot could be cut from the book, depending on what you consider is the true plot, and there's a lot of discussion that could be had there. But no, in terms of the heart of the book, what the book is really about, um, yeah, Devi is, Devi is so important.

[some other stuff is said.]

Somebody said, 'I always imagined that Pat had took the name from the Sanskrit word.' I'd be curious what that Sanskrit word meant, if you're still on here.

Devi is probably the Sanskrit word that Pat didn't know the meaning of.

And yes, Nisheeth, "recognized" is the right word. But I didn't recognize it because it was not a verbal question, but a written comment that I could not see.

Thanks a lot. I was thinking it would either be Devi (likely considering the discussion was about her) or Reshi, but dismissed those as you would have recognized them.

Archived