Could Jon Snow actually be Aegon Targaryen

Of the North

This sorta sounds crazy, I just happened to be watching an episode of the show last night and I occured to me.... Could Jon Snow actually be Aegon... There is alot of speculation on wether young Griff is truly Aegon or a Blackfyre targaryen or Illyrio's son... There is also a ton of speculation that Jon= Lyanna + Rheagar, is it plausable that the kingsguard was a the Tower of Joy to Guard Aegon "the prince that was promised". I know this then brings up a question of what Lyanna was doing there.. is it possilbe that she somehow was convinced of Aegon was this "prince that was promised" and was there caring for him.... idk it sounds crazy...ned could have been convinced to help him to..... sounds kinda crazy i know.. i haven't heard anything like it, but hey crazier things have happened

IF he was a targaryen why did he get ghost , one thing we know for sure he is a Stark .

If sickly Elia had a stillborn and Ashara had healthy silver-haired, purple-eyed bastard boy there might have been motive for both of them...

But Elia was giving birth to the next potential King. There would have been people there helping her give birth. Do you think those people would all have been cool with just swapping in some random bastard as the next heir? At the very least, there would have been a Maester who was high up the prestige scale, possibly Pycelle himself. I don't see it. And did Ashara even give birth in King's Landing? I got the impression she probably went back to Dorne.

• 4 weeks later...

I have come to speculate that Jon Snow is Rhaegar and Lyanna's child and here are the things which I add together in order to strengthen this:

• Rhaegar went north for the war, presumably from the Tower of Joy, where Ned found Lyanna dying.
  • The Kingsguard was left at the Tower of Joy during the war. To me, the only sensible reason is that they were ordered to protect a possible surviving heir.
  • The symptoms Ned witnesses from his dying sister could be consistent with child birth.
  • Lyanna's dying wish for Ned is to keep some unknown promise. If a mother were dying, I believe she would be concerned for the welfare of her children without her personal protection, especially a newborn.

This being Jon's parentage would present a reason for Ned to keep the mothers identity from Robert, or even lie about it. As far as Jon and his direwolf, all the other Stark children are half Tully, meaning they have as much Stark as Jon does. And here's some more stuff to think about regarding the direwolves: If Ned happened to marry, say, a Lannister or a Tyrell, do you think the Lord of Winterfell's children still would have received the wolves? Only the Stark parent matters. I think Ghost was seperate because its owner has a different Stark parent (and Ghost's white fur could also be symbolic of the white Targaryen hair). The only difference in Jon's (possible) half Targaryen lineage would be that a dragon arriving at the Wall may smell his blood. Also, Dany had the vision of a blue flower on the Wall, which I believe is the same flower Bael the Bard used when in Winterfell. Both Bael and Rhaeger ran off with Stark women, and we know Bael and his lady had a son. Finally, a cool connection would be that if Jon is Lyanna's son, both he and Dany's (hell, Tyrion's too. . . the three dragon riders?) birth caused the death of their mothers.

All of the targs are such great characters...

Daenerys, Rhaegar, Aerys, Daemon etc. with really strong and notable characteristics(arrogance, maddness, intelligence, peaceful). Jon Snow is just really dry and predictable in comparison. I like him as a Stark where he fits in with Robb and Ned who are also dry, predictable "goodguys". He doesnt fit as a Targ IMO.

I have come to speculate that Jon Snow is Rhaegar and Lyanna's child and here are the things which I add together in order to strengthen this:

• Rhaegar went north for the war, presumably from the Tower of Joy, where Ned found Lyanna dying.
  • The Kingsguard was left at the Tower of Joy during the war. To me, the only sensible reason is that they were ordered to protect a possible surviving heir.
  • The symptoms Ned witnesses from his dying sister could be consistent with child birth.
  • Lyanna's dying wish for Ned is to keep some unknown promise. If a mother were dying, I believe she would be concerned for the welfare of her children without her personal protection, especially a newborn.

This being Jon's parentage would present a reason for Ned to keep the mothers identity from Robert, or even lie about it. As far as Jon and his direwolf, all the other Stark children are half Tully, meaning they have as much Stark as Jon does. And here's some more stuff to think about regarding the direwolves: If Ned happened to marry, say, a Lannister or a Tyrell, do you think the Lord of Winterfell's children still would have received the wolves? Only the Stark parent matters. I think Ghost was seperate because its owner has a different Stark parent (and Ghost's white fur could also be symbolic of the white Targaryen hair). The only difference in Jon's (possible) half Targaryen lineage would be that a dragon arriving at the Wall may smell his blood. Also, Dany had the vision of a blue flower on the Wall, which I believe is the same flower Bael the Bard used when in Winterfell. Both Bael and Rhaeger ran off with Stark women, and we know Bael and his lady had a son. Finally, a cool connection would be that if Jon is Lyanna's son, both he and Dany's (hell, Tyrion's too. . . the three dragon riders?) birth caused the death of their mothers.

A good guess, a wrong thread. What you want is the R+L=J, version 33 up there :-)

IF he was a targaryen why did he get ghost , one thing we know for sure he is a Stark .

Heh, who is to say that the direwolf was meant for him? :) Of course I'm joking, but let's say I would have agreed to the theory. They found 6 puppies, and there were 6 Starks, the 5 children + Ned, maybe Ghost was supposed to go to Ned, you know... the Silent Wolf? And Jon being the greedy Targaryen took it for himself :)

• 2 weeks later...

Heh, who is to say that the direwolf was meant for him? :) Of course I'm joking, but let's say I would have agreed to the theory. They found 6 puppies, and there were 6 Starks, the 5 children + Ned, maybe Ghost was supposed to go to Ned, you know... the Silent Wolf? And Jon being the greedy Targaryen took it for himself :)

Hey that's a pretty interesting idea about Ghost and the Silent Wolf, especially since I just re-read the chapter where Bran is told the story of The Knight of the Laughing Tree, from whence the Silent Wolf metaphor is used. But Jon is discovered to be a warg by slipping into Ghost's skin so I have to assume they share a part of each other, as Bran and Summer do.

This sorta sounds crazy, I just happened to be watching an episode of the show last night and I occured to me.... Could Jon Snow actually be Aegon... There is alot of speculation on wether young Griff is truly Aegon or a Blackfyre targaryen or Illyrio's son... There is also a ton of speculation that Jon= Lyanna + Rheagar, is it plausable that the kingsguard was a the Tower of Joy to Guard Aegon "the prince that was promised". I know this then brings up a question of what Lyanna was doing there.. is it possilbe that she somehow was convinced of Aegon was this "prince that was promised" and was there caring for him.... idk it sounds crazy...ned could have been convinced to help him to..... sounds kinda crazy i know.. i haven't heard anything like it, but hey crazier things have happened

Maybe it is crazy. :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not buying it, or the notion that the gods sent Jon a direwolf. Jon can warg = descendant of the First Men.

Out of the possible mothers mentioned above (Elia Martell, Ashara Dayne), neither are families traced back to the First Men. Alternatively, if Jon is Ned+Ashara, then he is not Aegon. Short of Brandon Stark snogging Rhaenys Targeryen, there is no possibility of this, er, possibility, being, um, possible.

Also, how do we know it was "the gods" that sent the mother direwolf and not a Bloodraven warging? ;) He has Blackwood blood, a family traced back to the First Men.

• 4 months later...

I don't think Jon Snow is the son of Elia and Rhaegar if that's what you mean, but another thought has occurred to me.

Just with Ned Stark seemingly farthering a "bastard", from what we do know of Rhaegar, his abscondong with Lyanna and complete abandonment of Elia and his two children is at odds with his reputation, for, Rhaegar was apparently held in high esteem by even Jaime Lannister of all people, so I have questioned whether he really did abandon his wife in this manner - and why this is not even challenged as a dishonourable act by all, including Ned Stark (who even doubted that Rhaegar had actually visited brothels!).

Although, completely pure conjecture on my part, I have toyed with the idea that it could be possible that Rhaegar was not Rhaenys and Aegon's father. Whilst most characters attribute Rhaegar's philandering to Elia being "weak" and unable to have more children, Viserys has apparently hinted that he believes Rhaegar was not happy in his marriage.

Could it be that Rhaegar's infatuation with Lyanna and subsequent abandonment of Elia, could in part be due to the merest possibility that she has been unfaithful and borne him two illegitimate children? We are told that Arya resembles Lyanna in character, and with her morals explicit in the first book at least, is it conceivable that if not kidnapped, she would have absconded willingly with Rhaegar, knowing she was to be betrothed and he, a married man, whom also happened to be the heir to the throne?

In the HOTU scene witnessed by Dany, she sees Rhaegar explicitly referring to a young boy as the PTWP. Many commentators have speculated as to whether the woman in the vision was Lyanna or Elia, and GRRM has apparently confirmed that the baby in question was Aegon. But one thing's for sure, if the child was not his, then he would not be the PTWP and theoretically perhaps, not Aegon Targeryan in the truest sense.

If he would then have had a child with Lyanna, he could have named him Aegon, in the belief that the first was not his true son and heir?

I think the key to this could be the TOJ and Robert Baratheon defeating Rhaegar on the Trident. When Rhaegar dies, he appears to whisper a woman's name. There is a strong insinuation that he was in love with Lyanna, and hence it would make a lot of sense if it was her name whispered at the end - yet there is no mention of his children? It may be understandable that he would not refer to Jon as doing so would put Lyanna's life at risk at the TOJ, but the key question is, were the Kingsguard with Elia when she and her children were murdered? And if not, or sufficient protection was not granted, why did Rhaegar deem her and his children so unimportant as to not warrant this protection when it was granted to Lyanna Stark?

Interpreting events in this manner, is the only way I could theorize that Jon is Aegon Targeryan.

Or maybe LittleFinger is really Aegon!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I just figured out the biggest secret in the series

Archived