A quote by GRRM....

OberynBlackfyre

This interview was one that was done in English, translated and posted in Spanish and then translated again back to English. There is a thread or two where forumers do the translations and discuss. There were a number of parts, as in the gender of characters or offspring, that was ambiguous considering the number of translations it went through. I wouldn't consider Martin talking about Brandon's legitimate sons as anything other than just that, he had no legitimate children, including sons who would be further up in the line of succession. If I recall correctly, the question that prompted that answer dealt with succession issues.

Martin not saying a word about Benjen being dead doesn't really tell us what his current status is. Just that he joined the Night's Watch before he had a chance to father children.

Plus, it's ridiculous to think GRRM calculates his every word so meticulously. You guys are really like clerics deciphering the Bible.

"It says sodomy is sinful, but doesn't mention blow-jobs! So blow-jobs are lawful in Islamic tradition!"

Pfft.

Plus, it's ridiculous to think GRRM calculates his every word so meticulously. You guys are really like clerics deciphering the Bible.

"It says sodomy is sinful, but doesn't mention blow-jobs! So blow-jobs are lawful in Islamic tradition!"

Pfft.

In this I was never talking about anything other than it puts another nail in the coffin for R+L=J, any other speculation is for other people to determine. And he is a mastermind author, not to mention the creator of all of this world, therefore yes, I do think he is perfectly capable of guarding his words and shaping responses to be ambiguous.

In this I was never talking about anything other than it puts another nail in the coffin for R+L=J, any other speculation is for other people to determine. And he is a mastermind author, not to mention the creator of all of this world, therefore yes, I do think he is perfectly capable of guarding his words and shaping responses to be ambiguous.

Actually, clearly he's talking off his memory and struggling to remember stuff, and talking doesn't work like writing. When you're writing you have notes and you can revise it.

Actually, clearly he's talking off his memory and struggling to remember stuff, and talking doesn't work like writing. When you're writing you have notes and you can revise it.

how is this "clearly"? he says a concise and immediate response. The person writing the interview even mentions times taken when GRRM takes a pause, or laughs, or looks confused. There was none of that in his response, and I'm going on a limb here, but I THINK he would remember what would happen to Brandon, Lyanna and Benjen..as Starks are the majority of the POV's

how is this "clearly"? he says a concise and immediate response. The person writing the interview even mentions times taken when GRRM takes a pause, or laughs, or looks confused. There was none of that in his response, and I'm going on a limb here, but I THINK he would remember what would happen to Brandon, Lyanna and Benjen..as Starks are the majority of the POV's

What you claim he says determines a very careful wording, with meticulous weaving of thoughts, and leaving subtle clues. It's very unlikely to read too much into them.

What you claim he says determines a very careful wording, with meticulous weaving of thoughts, and leaving subtle clues. It's very unlikely to read too much into them.

How so? Im going off what he DOESN'T say. he makes it clear Brandon is dead and has no valid heirs, he states Lyanna is dead but never that she had no children, I do not think this is reading into anything "too deeply" to infer that he didn't say that for a reason...

How so? Im going off what he DOESN'T say. he makes it clear Brandon is dead and has no valid heirs, he states Lyanna is dead but never that she had no children, I do not think this is reading into anything "too deeply" to infer that he didn't say that for a reason...

Because it's equally possible that he just didn't think of saying that.

Archived