A quote by GRRM....

OberynBlackfyre

I've always thought it was possible that Eddard Dane, might be a bastard of Ashara and either Ned or Brandon. Ashara before she "dies" (or disappears) hands the child over to her sister to raise as her own (sister may have been the one who miscarries). She does this so the child can be raised as legitimate and as an heir to the Dane household. Before I get flamed, I'm just saying I see this as a possibility.

I've always thought it was possible that Eddard Dane, might be a bastard of Ashara and either Ned or Brandon. Ashara before she "dies" (or disappears) hands the child over to her sister to raise as her own (sister may have been the one who miscarries). She does this so the child can be raised as legitimate and as an heir to the Dane household. Before I get flamed, I'm just saying I see this as a possibility.

Don't take that as flaming you :cool4: , but that is just impossible. Ned Dayne is scarce older than Arya, twelve in Clash. That's fifteen years after Ashara jumped of the tower and seventeen after Brandon choked to death.

Or Darkstar(k). :cool4:

We don't know his age, but he could be a few months younger than Aegon, that would be around the time of Harrenhal where Elia was most likely in the first stages of pregnancy, and then Ashara and Brandon happened.

Asharas parents could have handed him over to a cadet Branch of the Dayne family, (High Hermitage), who might have been childless to pass him off as heir.

Or Darkstar(k). :cool4:

We don't know his age, but he could be a few months younger than Aegon, that would be around the time of Harrenhal where Elia was most likely in the first stages of pregnancy, and then Ashara and Brandon happened.

Asharas parents could have handed him over to a cadet Branch of the Dayne family, (High Hermitage), who might have been childless to pass him off as heir.

Darkstar is in Arianne's peer group. And he seems to be somewhat older than her - which would make him at least five years to old.

This fits in with the R+L=J theory (which I fully believe) but it's not that significant a clue. It's common in the books for men to have bastards so he would need to clarify Brandon not having any known children, but it's not the same for women. It's unlikely that most girls of 16 have secret children running around. He would have no need to mention her as having children or not.

As far as Benjen, it's still intended at this point that his fate is a mystery to the reader. He could be Coldhands or HM or anywhere else. GRRM would naturally leave his mortality or whereabouts ambigious in interviews.

Does anyone wonder whether Benjen had any bastards before he went to the Wall? In his first conversation with Jon Snow, Jon says he wants to join the Watch. Benjen says something like "go father a few bastards first, so you'll understand what you are giving up." It sort of implies that Benjen understands exactly what he has given up.

Does anyone wonder whether Benjen had any bastards before he went to the Wall? In his first conversation with Jon Snow, Jon says he wants to join the Watch. Benjen says something like "go father a few bastards first, so you'll understand what you are giving up." It sort of implies that Benjen understands exactly what he has given up.

Possible, though I got the impression he was more talking about the making of those bastards.

Like Brandon the Daughterless' grandson by his daughter and Bael the Bard wasn't a Stark?

First, it's only a legend, second, anybody can become Stark by king's decree, but that's not the point.

I was saying that Lyanna can't give a birth to any "legit" Stark, unless she got married to another Stark.

There won't be any new Starks, I'm willing to bet anything on that.

First, it's only a legend, second, anybody can become Stark by king's decree, but that's not the point.

I was saying that Lyanna can't give a birth to any "legit" Stark, unless she got married to another Stark.

There won't be any new Starks, I'm willing to bet anything on that.

You're right about Lyanna, but there's still Rickon, and potentially Robb's heir (if he got Jeyne W. pregnant), as well as Benjen who could, theoretically at least, still produce Starks (though given his wovs, and barring the eradication of the NW, they'd not be Starks since he can't marry).

You're right about Lyanna, but there's still Rickon, and potentially Robb's heir (if he got Jeyne W. pregnant), as well as Benjen who could, theoretically at least, still produce Starks (though given his wovs, and barring the eradication of the NW, they'd not be Starks since he can't marry).

Let me correct myself, I wanted to say that there won't be any new Starks that are born already but we don't know about them (or we know about them, but they're not Starks, like Jon) :) I believe Rickon will be the next lord of Winterfell and he'll probably marry and have kids.

Let me correct myself, I wanted to say that there won't be any new Starks that are born already but we don't know about them (or we know about them, but they're not Starks, like Jon) :) I believe Rickon will be the next lord of Winterfell and he'll probably marry and have kids.

Ah, well then we're in agreement, and if there is to be a Stark in (rebuilt) Winterfell, I agree it'll have to be Rickon.

Archived