Daenerys and the Usurper's Other Dogs

redviper9

I do not believe we were told the age of the wineseller or the daughter, not that I find the torture of anyone acceptable at any age.

Since we are talking about Dany's ideas on Westeros, did she ever read the books Jorah gave her? It just popped into my head. They may not have been that enlightening though, one was a book for children.

Wasn't one of the books the history of the great houses or something? If so, then I doubt it, considering she said, "she knew little of Dorne and its history" when Quentyn was first introduced. If she know's almost nothing about Dorne, then she probably know's nothing about the rest of the kingdoms.

She ended it for a very very brief period. Until the whatever blacksmith guy in Astapor took over after she left, and until the slaves in Mereen sold themselves back into slvery and I don't even have to explain Yunkai.

The simplest solution was to leave a trusted person in command as opposed to leaving the slavemasters alive and well in their old cities. There were some simple solutions that would have gone a long way towards making her bloody swath through the slave cities actually worth it just a little bit. as it stands, she's accomplished ZERO.

I think you are mistaken.Thousends of slaves left Astoupor with Dany. Tousends left Yankai. Some are now with Dany in Mereen, some returned to their home in Lazaar or what not. They are still free. Yankai have returned to deal with slaves, but all the slaves that were there before Dany came are free. Those are thousands of people, who won their freedom. Is it zero in your eyes?

Only SOME of the slaves sold themselves back into slavery in Mereen, and these were the ex slaves who chose to do it, the ones who had better jobs and conditions. All the slaves who suffered the horrible kind of slavery are free. The worst kind of slavery have ended, at least for them.

Dany left people she have trusted to rule in Astapor, and all the slavemasters were defeated there, exactly as you have proposed. Didn't help. Why do you think "the commander" you propose she should have left there , would have stood better against the butcher? Should she have also left an army with him? Should she wasted her precious soldiers and have stormed Astapor after the butcher deposed the rulers she have appointed there? She can only give people freedom to choose... if they choose lunacy, it is not her fault , really.

Storming Yankai who was defended by crossbowmen was a costly enterprise so Dany's choice to compromise on freeing the slaves without actually taking the city was not unreasonable. She killed major slavemasters in Mereen, but they do have sons and families and trying to kill them all would be both unhuman thing to do and also detrimental to Mereen's economy. It is not really that simple as it seems to you. In life there are no easy solutions. Any societal change has it's price. It is usually a blood price. Sometimes war of independence creates great democracy, sometimes it creates a state ruled by even more horrible dictator. It is always messy bussiness with long years of turmoil. Just think what it took to abolish slavery in 19 century, and how much blood it cost...

Wasn't one of the books the history of the great houses or something? If so, then I doubt it, considering she said, "she knew little of Dorne and its history" when Quentyn was first introduced. If she know's almost nothing about Dorne, then she probably know's nothing about the rest of the kingdoms.

They were stories and songs-she did read them, since she found the idea of Quntyn turning from frog to prince amusing.

Archived