Sexuality in ASoIaF

Elaena Targaryen

I don't remember that there was any indication of whether Satin is actually gay. As you say, that he worked as a whore means little, especially as he was born and raised in a brothel so that this is the natural career "choice" for him (quotation marks as he probably did not have that much of a choice).

I think Satin was something of a crossdresser.

Hes described as a painted catamite.

A catamite was an intimate male companion to young men in Rome. The "painted" part hints that

he could have dressed like a woman.

I think Satin was something of a crossdresser.

Hes described as a painted catamite.

A catamite was an intimate male companion to young men in Rome. The "painted" part hints that

he could have dressed like a woman.

Sounds biblical to me-the way prostitutes were referred to as painted women for instance, on account of their make up. Besides, it would be mentioned if Satin was wearing skirts. Plus one ought to remember that the man spouting said opinion is a man of religion and thus biased against whores, doubly so against male ones.

Septon Cellador spoke up. “This boy Satin. It’s said you mean to make him your steward and squire, in Tollett’s place. My lord, the boy’s a whore ... a ... dare I say ... a painted catamite from the brothels of Old-town.”

He states he is a whore first like thats already bad enough then sets up the rest like its even worse, a

"painted catimite". I seems redundant if there is no more significance to the painted. Im going out on a limb and hopefully not confusing book with show but Cersei uses the phrase "painted" whores in in reference to whore without painted having appareant significance. So, idk.

Ok, I checked your profile and saw your age. To be fair, I keep my questionings to those of my generation (late gen X, early gen Y) and those older because questioning millenials/gen z who are most often still teenagers and not classified as adults would be...very creepy indeed. I truly have no idea how the internet/gaming age might have altered childhood experiences. We didn't have that stuff growing up, so (from simple unscientific observation) we tended to interact with one another in person more than the current generations.

You could have a point, it may be a generational thing. I must say that internet/gaming didn't really play a big part in my life until I was around 10 and I have always gone out regularly, despite being quite an introvert.

So I'm not sure about your generation being more social if you count whether or not you go out everyday, however, if you were to say how many hours you spend outside then it's plausible.

You could have a point, it may be a generational thing. I must say that internet/gaming didn't really play a big part in my life until I was around 10 and I have always gone out regularly, despite being quite an introvert.

So I'm not sure about your generation being more social if you count whether or not you go out everyday, however, if you were to say how many hours you spend outside then it's plausible.

I'm a gen z baby and I needed someone to explain what a landline phone was. I think as gen z we were more readily exposed to the truer nature of sexuality because of the internet and game etc. I never played house at 10, if a girl asked me to play house so we could dry hump, I would have said I have a better idea.

Could it also be dependent on how watched you were as a child? I grew up in a campus environment with a parent/authority figure supervising/visible/within earshot for most of the time and it did restrict our level of play.

Could it also be dependent on how watched you were as a child? I grew up in a campus environment with a parent/authority figure supervising/visible/within earshot for most of the time and it did restrict our level of play.

I was pretty much given free reign, for example, me and my friends used to go on bike rides to places many, many miles away when I was six, with the oldest of us being seven. Therefore, I'm not too sure how much supervision might've affected what we used to do. Had our parents constantly checked up on us I could see how that might have stopped us from doing some of the more questionable things, like having fights and breaking windows in abandoned buildings, but I don't think it has much relation to sexual experimentation.

He states he is a whore first like thats already bad enough then sets up the rest like its even worse, a

"painted catimite". I seems redundant if there is no more significance to the painted. Im going out on a limb and hopefully not confusing book with show but Cersei uses the phrase "painted" whores in in reference to whore without painted having appareant significance. So, idk.

Barely formed idea that came across while researching for another thread, but Patchface has a 'painted' face, well, it's tattooed. The slaves of Essos sometimes become tattooed. Shaky knowledge here, but wasn't a catamite abducted and thus not there of his own free will, so basically a slave. Could the distaste of the painted be associated with the godly laws against slavery? Total crackpipe and barely formed, I know, but just tossing it out there.

Archived